HWBOT Community Forums

Xtremesystems

RiggS

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... only Movieman seems to be unaffected by XS being offline :D

It bothers me but I learned long ago not to get too concerned about things you can't control.

Xs will come back up when Charles gets it all together and then we can harass him forever! LOLOL

WP5590? Ahh, whats that? A Gainestown version of the i7-975?

I got the board if you got the chips! giggle-giggle

If it was any other day but April1 I'd be looking to smash that guy in the chops for making a comment like that.

People forget that Charles ran that site for how many years at a cost of over $10,000.00/year and all from his wallet.

I think he deserves a little loyalty and support from us all.

I always got chips :)

150W TDP

3.33GHz :) MMMM Goodness

let me firstly, i love your stuff SF3D, rock on !!!

now let me add, that of course my post was an april fool, and i am glad it was taken in jest.

now back to XS, as SF3D has mentioned it is a long time, 13 days in fact, i seen the site down a week past friday, so that makes it two weeks tommorow.

i have never seen a site down for this long in my life, even if it had DNS errors.

at the very least i have seen sites down, but with a simple HTML index page saying somkething like,

'having trouble back soon' on the front.

i am really worried for the XS site now, one for the fact that it might have gone completely, secondly that such a prominent site could go down (with subscriptions) and not give users a quik update on the homepage.

i dont think there is any excuse for that really, all it takes is 2 or 3 mins to put a page up for users to see.

what you guys think? am i being harsh here?

also my thoughts are with fugger, in the event that something terrible is happening with family or friends, or even himself.

Not harsh at all. When a site as massive as that goes down without a simple "be back soon" redirect, something is up and it can't be good. Allot of people payed that subscription fee recently and they are getting the shaft every minute that it's down.

I really hope it gets back up in a timely fashion, but I also hope that the subscribers get at least retro active term increase.

Okay, I just got off the phone with Fugger. I know jack about databases, so I don't have a firm grasp on the situation. First of all, it seems like the database of the forums in their current state are somehow erroring. The database isn't starting up. The database import takes 2 days, and Charles has done this several times over the past week already as you might have guessed, running into problems ever time. Normally that 2 days should've been the upper bound on the downtime. I think he also said that the original hard drive SAS array got busted somehow. He's still trying to work through all the problems, as clearly plenty of things went wrong. Right now the compromise solution he's thinking of is putting up a backup of the forums while he does this, but the backup is from about a month ago, so the data won't be current...