Jump to content
HWBOT Community Forums
Alex@ro

Asus Maximus IX Apex and Coffee Lake Cpu's !

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hi guys, i've done hwmod to a m9a, i've downloaded 1901 bios and put into a USB Key, renamed as M9A.rom and done USB flashback, but when It finishes flash nothing happened. Bios was not flashed. What's wrong? 

 

Edit. I'm a jerk 😂 creative.rom not m9a.rom. It works. Thanks. PS. I'm trying 2003 bios

Edited by AresThomas
I'm a jerk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for this thread fellas. I just got this board for $40 after a mail in rebate. It was an open box, but looked entirely untouched. Unfortunately I damaged my 7700K and only one memory channel works so I will wait a few more weeks to see if the 9900KS launches or if there will be 9900K discounts to compete with the new Ryzens. New soldering iron is in the mail. Can't wait to push my 3600CL15 kit. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2019 at 7:58 AM, ducegt said:

Yes. $100 - $60 mir. 

I finally flashed Dsanke's 2003 Apex X bios on to my Apex IX board. Works ok with my 6700K though the cpu voltages seemed a little low and had to raise the AC Loadline to 0.8 to get normal volts. Will probably install my 9700K in there this weekend when I have more time, but for now enjoying a newer bios release. Though I installed it on the B-side of my dual bios such that I suppose by pressing a switch I am back to stock. Lovely feature..

Anyhow I got my Apex for $60 after rebate though mine was new. For an extra $20 why not. Talk about a great deal never the less.

Thanks and thanks to Dsanke!

Cute how cpu-z reports the bios version 2003 by Dsanke.. Lol.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@davidm71_2 You are the wiser man. I bought the open box ("all sales are final") before I saw the promo code that you must have used. Let me summarize how I spent about 10 hours swapping boards, coolers, sticks, redoing liquid metal, etc..  There's a happy ending at least.

Swapped a 2.5 year old working 5+ ghz 7700k from a Z270 K6 to the Apex and it wouldn't post if the memory slot closet to the CPU was filled. So, I figured the open box mobo was bad... Swapped back to K6 and the 2 closest slots to CPU had the same issue so I lost dual channel. I figured I damaged my delidded chip from over tightening or maybe the Apex ruined it. It's clocking profile has changed..before delidding I could do 8 hours stability test at 1.28; great chip. Now, 1.22v @ 4.8 almost hits 100C..I remounted the cooler and socket countless times. I though maybe single channel was stressing it extra. Today, I was considering returning the Apex being my rebate was already approved and I decided to look it over one last time. There was one pin in the socket that was off by maybe 20 degrees. It was almost touching another pin which made it very hard to see that something was off. Anyway, my 7700K is now working with both slots in the Apex! I got no idea what's wrong with the K6 and can't be bothered with it anymore. I've only spent a few hours with the apex, but it's looking stable at 4133 CL16-16-36 stable with 1.47v. 4266 wouldn't post for me, but it's not a real divider; it increases bclk. I'm wondering if we can use the higher memory dividers that the Apex X supports with the modified BIOS. I'll probably give it a shot now that you confirmed the modded BIOS works with SKL; thanks for sharing that.

 

Edited by ducegt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ducegt Buying open box is a risk and half the time I run into problems. The 9700K I bought for example for this mod was open box though I got an extended warranty with it as you can imagine how important that is with this mod. I would if I was you try to RMA the board for a new one but know that Asus likes to refuse them outright if they find bent cpu pins. Happened to me once. Anyhow glad you figured it out. I will be installing my 9700K in there later this week. Its currently in a modded Z270-WS Asus board. For some reason if I set 1.3 volts in bios I get 1.280 volts reported via software. Had to raise AC loadline to 0.8 to get decent values close to what I wanted. Wonder if anyone else has experienced this. Even Dsanke's mod is doing the same thing on the 6700K as well. Not sure whats going on. 

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, davidm71_2 said:

@ducegt Buying open box is a risk and half the time I run into problems. The 9700K I bought for example for this mod was open box though I got an extended warranty with it as you can imagine how important that is with this mod. I would if I was you try to RMA the board for a new one but know that Asus likes to refuse them outright if they find bent cpu pins. Happened to me once. Anyhow glad you figured it out. I will be installing my 9700K in there later this week. Its currently in a modded Z270-WS Asus board. For some reason if I set 1.3 volts in bios I get 1.280 volts reported via software. Had to raise AC loadline to 0.8 to get decent values close to what I wanted. Wonder if anyone else has experienced this. Even Dsanke's mod is doing the same thing on the 6700K as well. Not sure whats going on. 

 

Thanks

None of the companies will accept RMA with bend pins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting thing I noticed if Dsanke's bios is on the second bios chip as selected it will double post when started. Probably by design.

Also in bios there is a leftover reference to the "5G LAN Card" that doesn't exist on the Apex IX.

Trying to figure out how to hide it using AMIBCP or manually.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any of you guys having trouble overclocking your ram? On my 6700K I could overclock from 3200 up to 3600 now using a 9700K stuck at 3400 mhz.

 

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, davidm71_2 said:

Any of you guys having trouble overclocking your ram? On my 6700K I could overclock from 3200 up to 3600 now using a 9700K stuck at 3400 mhz.

 

mb problem with ram? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2019 at 5:14 PM, phobosq said:

I updated modded 1602 to 1901 in my board yesterday just to make sure it supports i3 9100f, and it worked fine. 

Is there a version that supports xp? I'd like to play some 32m ;)

hey, phobosq

how to flash bios 1901 ?

i can't flash it .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, thanhduy070899VN said:

hey, phobosq

how to flash bios 1901 ?

i can't flash it .

 

I did mine with a bios programmer hooked up and wired to the 9 pin spi header but would recommend the 2003 bios version instead of 1901.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2019 at 10:58 AM, phobosq said:

No need, usb flashback did just fine, I did only pencil mod for bios, and modded cpu instead of board

Do both hardware mods need to be done to flash a modified BIOS via flashback? I tried pencil and a small screw driver to short the pins near the BIOS chip, and I may have had them soldered at one time, but flashback would not work. I didn't mod the other part of the board. I'm using a 7700k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, ducegt said:

Do both hardware mods need to be done to flash a modified BIOS via flashback? I tried pencil and a small screw driver to short the pins near the BIOS chip, and I may have had them soldered at one time, but flashback would not work. I didn't mod the other part of the board. I'm using a 7700k.

99% certain you only need the bios pad short mod, rename the bios Creative.ROM, and use the correct bios flashback usb port.  What usb stick you use is important too. All my Adata sticks work for bios flashback or bootable usb purposes but my Sandisk's do not work for this

 

Flashback.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GtiJason said:

99% certain you only need the bios pad short mod, rename the bios Creative.ROM, and use the correct bios flashback usb port.  What usb stick you use is important too. All my Adata sticks work for bios flashback or bootable usb purposes but my Sandisk's do not work for this
 

USB needs to be FAT16 or 32 without strange partitions, and my lesson learnt from last week's adventures is - first unzip, then rename, I tried flashing with zip on M8H and it stopped after light blinked 3 times.

@ducegt Bios pad short is required, for socket mod you can either solder board or CPU.

Edited by phobosq

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@d0minat0r I assume you're not asking about how to rename a file :) following naming works for me:

official M9A bios - M9A.CAP

modded M9A/M10A bios - creative.rom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rename bios in 7zip to creative.rom but no go. Last bios i flashed in MB is 0094 all other I can not flash from some reason.

Edited by d0minat0r

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, d0minat0r said:

I rename bios in 7zip to creative.rom but no go. Last bios i flashed in MB is 0094 all other I can not flash from some reason.

What bios are you trying to flash, post a link or pm me and I'll get it working for you. As for renaming in 7zip I'm not sure what you mean. All you have to do is if bios file is compressed is Right click with mouse go to Extract All and literally rename the file by clicking on it till blue ( or right click select "rename" ), the file extension will not be selected so go ahead and select the entire file and like Phobosq said  rename to Creative .ROM or M9A.CAP

" official M9A bios - M9A.CAP
modded M9A/M10A bios - creative.rom"

Edited by GtiJason

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...