HWBOT Community Forums
Alex@ro

Asus Maximus IX Apex and Coffee Lake Cpu's !

Hi guys, i've done hwmod to a m9a, i've downloaded 1901 bios and put into a USB Key, renamed as M9A.rom and done USB flashback, but when It finishes flash nothing happened. Bios was not flashed. What's wrong? 

Edit. I'm a jerk 😂 creative.rom not m9a.rom. It works. Thanks. PS. I'm trying 2003 bios

Edited by AresThomas
I'm a jerk

Thank you for this thread fellas. I just got this board for $40 after a mail in rebate. It was an open box, but looked entirely untouched. Unfortunately I damaged my 7700K and only one memory channel works so I will wait a few more weeks to see if the 9900KS launches or if there will be 9900K discounts to compete with the new Ryzens. New soldering iron is in the mail. Can't wait to push my 3600CL15 kit. 

• Like 1

On 6/11/2019 at 7:58 AM, ducegt said:

Yes. $100 - $60 mir. 

I finally flashed Dsanke's 2003 Apex X bios on to my Apex IX board. Works ok with my 6700K though the cpu voltages seemed a little low and had to raise the AC Loadline to 0.8 to get normal volts. Will probably install my 9700K in there this weekend when I have more time, but for now enjoying a newer bios release. Though I installed it on the B-side of my dual bios such that I suppose by pressing a switch I am back to stock. Lovely feature..

Anyhow I got my Apex for $60 after rebate though mine was new. For an extra $20 why not. Talk about a great deal never the less.

Thanks and thanks to Dsanke!

Cute how cpu-z reports the bios version 2003 by Dsanke.. Lol.

• Like 1

@davidm71_2 You are the wiser man. I bought the open box ("all sales are final") before I saw the promo code that you must have used. Let me summarize how I spent about 10 hours swapping boards, coolers, sticks, redoing liquid metal, etc..  There's a happy ending at least.

Swapped a 2.5 year old working 5+ ghz 7700k from a Z270 K6 to the Apex and it wouldn't post if the memory slot closet to the CPU was filled. So, I figured the open box mobo was bad... Swapped back to K6 and the 2 closest slots to CPU had the same issue so I lost dual channel. I figured I damaged my delidded chip from over tightening or maybe the Apex ruined it. It's clocking profile has changed..before delidding I could do 8 hours stability test at 1.28; great chip. Now, 1.22v @ 4.8 almost hits 100C..I remounted the cooler and socket countless times. I though maybe single channel was stressing it extra. Today, I was considering returning the Apex being my rebate was already approved and I decided to look it over one last time. There was one pin in the socket that was off by maybe 20 degrees. It was almost touching another pin which made it very hard to see that something was off. Anyway, my 7700K is now working with both slots in the Apex! I got no idea what's wrong with the K6 and can't be bothered with it anymore. I've only spent a few hours with the apex, but it's looking stable at 4133 CL16-16-36 stable with 1.47v. 4266 wouldn't post for me, but it's not a real divider; it increases bclk. I'm wondering if we can use the higher memory dividers that the Apex X supports with the modified BIOS. I'll probably give it a shot now that you confirmed the modded BIOS works with SKL; thanks for sharing that.

Edited by ducegt

@ducegt Buying open box is a risk and half the time I run into problems. The 9700K I bought for example for this mod was open box though I got an extended warranty with it as you can imagine how important that is with this mod. I would if I was you try to RMA the board for a new one but know that Asus likes to refuse them outright if they find bent cpu pins. Happened to me once. Anyhow glad you figured it out. I will be installing my 9700K in there later this week. Its currently in a modded Z270-WS Asus board. For some reason if I set 1.3 volts in bios I get 1.280 volts reported via software. Had to raise AC loadline to 0.8 to get decent values close to what I wanted. Wonder if anyone else has experienced this. Even Dsanke's mod is doing the same thing on the 6700K as well. Not sure whats going on. 

Thanks

46 minutes ago, davidm71_2 said:

@ducegt Buying open box is a risk and half the time I run into problems. The 9700K I bought for example for this mod was open box though I got an extended warranty with it as you can imagine how important that is with this mod. I would if I was you try to RMA the board for a new one but know that Asus likes to refuse them outright if they find bent cpu pins. Happened to me once. Anyhow glad you figured it out. I will be installing my 9700K in there later this week. Its currently in a modded Z270-WS Asus board. For some reason if I set 1.3 volts in bios I get 1.280 volts reported via software. Had to raise AC loadline to 0.8 to get decent values close to what I wanted. Wonder if anyone else has experienced this. Even Dsanke's mod is doing the same thing on the 6700K as well. Not sure whats going on. 

Thanks

None of the companies will accept RMA with bend pins.

Interesting thing I noticed if Dsanke's bios is on the second bios chip as selected it will double post when started. Probably by design.

Also in bios there is a leftover reference to the "5G LAN Card" that doesn't exist on the Apex IX.

Trying to figure out how to hide it using AMIBCP or manually.

• Like 1