HWBOT Community Forums

Asus Maximus IX Apex and Coffee Lake Cpu's !

Im getting some strage behavior in R15 bench.

8700K @ 5ghz is to do about 1630+ score, right? depending on memory clock and some minor tweaks.
When I do rise my memory clock over 3600 to 4000mhz CL18-18-18 * XPG D60G 3600mhz CL17 kits, they are b-die samsung* Im getting WORSE cpu score.

Even now with clear cmos and re-setting the OC + XMP im not getting 1600+ score.

APEX IX @ 370 with 2003 bios.

Im getting about 100 points less 1530+-

Edited by SoulDealer
Add info

well let us know if you decide to change BIOS. because i'm also on the 2003 one ATM. wondering how it really is. maybe this newer one has some intel security patches in it? Could that be anything to do with the issue?

Or otherwise windows 10 update, now applying a newer MC at boot time? Sorry I'm on linux so cannot help with diagnosing that type of an issue. Let us know if you find anything more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well here is the latest mod bios from @dsanke. Who cannot post it here himself to whatever forums problems registering his account. Same as before. You can see what they added in the ASUS changelog, https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-APEX/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Which says....

> ROG-MAXIMUS-X-APEX BIOS 2203
> 1) Support Intel upcoming CPU
> 2) Improved system stability and performance
> 3) Update RAID driver to rev. 17.5
> 4) Support Intel Optane Memory H10 device
> 5) Update ME firmware for Intel security issue.
> Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (M10A.CAP) using BIOSRenamer

I don't think you want to renae it "M10A.CAP" though. See 1st post for the other filename / full instructions how to flash.

BTW you can also use the MCE Extractor tool on this dsanke's BIOS file. Just to double check which of the intel CPUIDs microcodes are included / supported. By searching them in the Intel microcode guide PDF file https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/sa00115-microcode-update-guidance.pdf

Kind Regards

ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-APEX-ASUS-2203.7z

• Like 6

Everyone  Hello.
I get Z270 APEX finally, please.
This MOD work was put into effect.
But unfortunately a BIOS flashback doesn't operate effectively.
Even if USB is added to a port of designation, and a horizontal piece of timber buttons up designation, and it's done, it's impassive.
A motherboard is normally turned on.
It doesn't react to a start button.
Is this because two points of solder work is incomplete?

2 hours ago, GTI-R said:

it's impassive.

Hi @GTI-R,

If you mean that the blue flashback light on the button itself is not flashing slowly (or quickly, whatever it says in the ASUS manual). Then it's most likely the issue is either:

* Bad usb flash driver. Like my cheap-o integral neon ones were. No good / didn't work.

The only other possible reason is:

* Master partition table was not formatted as MBR. For example if you formatted your usb drive as the more modern GPT by mistake. That will also result in the same type of a failure. And it must be on the 1st partition FAT32 of course!

So you check those 2 things I think and you should have a better luck with the ASUS flashback. Have a good day.

Oh! Of course you check you modded your motherboard pins correctly too. And they are properly shorted. Those tiny pads next to the not-populated smd restistor. As per the 1st post on page 1 here.

On 10/27/2019 at 11:37 AM, dreamcat4 said:

Well here is the latest mod bios from @dsanke. Who cannot post it here himself to whatever forums problems registering his account. Same as before. You can see what they added in the ASUS changelog, https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-APEX/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Which says....

> ROG-MAXIMUS-X-APEX BIOS 2203
> 1) Support Intel upcoming CPU
> 2) Improved system stability and performance
> 3) Update RAID driver to rev. 17.5
> 4) Support Intel Optane Memory H10 device
> 5) Update ME firmware for Intel security issue.
> Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (M10A.CAP) using BIOSRenamer

I don't think you want to renae it "M10A.CAP" though. See 1st post for the other filename / full instructions how to flash.

BTW you can also use the MCE Extractor tool on this dsanke's BIOS file. Just to double check which of the intel CPUIDs microcodes are included / supported. By searching them in the Intel microcode guide PDF file https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/sa00115-microcode-update-guidance.pdf

Kind Regards

ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-APEX-ASUS-2203.7z 7.22 MB · 9 downloads

Thank you very much

7 hours ago, GTI-R said:

Everyone  Hello.
I get Z270 APEX finally, please.
This MOD work was put into effect.
But unfortunately a BIOS flashback doesn't operate effectively.
Even if USB is added to a port of designation, and a horizontal piece of timber buttons up designation, and it's done, it's impassive.
A motherboard is normally turned on.
It doesn't react to a start button.
Is this because two points of solder work is incomplete?

Hey , it should work. If you have your motherboard modded to work with CoffeeLake CPU's you don't need to isolate/strap pads on the CPU. I have the same motherboard Maximus IX Apex and 9900k and I just flashed the BIOS to check if it's working and it does , no problems. You do need a flash drive that work on this motherboard like dreamcat4 said , I remember when I first tried with a few SanDisk flash drives and it didn't works , seems those are not compatible with this board for this task , I changed to a noname flash drive and it's working ever since. The file already has the .rom extension so just rename ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-APEX-ASUS-2203.rom to creative.rom , I didn't use any tool just simple rename the file and should work. Use the proper USB port (the one located near the HDMI port on the bottom) press the flash back button untill it start to flash and then let it finish , aprox. 1-2 minutes depends how fast your flash drive is. Good luck , it is quite easy.

M9A dsanke 2203.jpg

One great feature missing from the Apex X BIOS that the IX has is CPU overclocking temperature control.  This is very helpful with my 7700K and I imagine it would be even more beneficial for a 9900K or KS. 

The temperature control options allow us to configure two CPU core frequency targets directly from firmware; one for light-load applications, such as games, the other, for more stringent workloads. Both overclock targets can be assigned separate voltage levels and temperature targets so that we can run games and light-load applications at higher frequencies than workloads that generate more heat. The feature works by monitoring temperature and then applying user-configured voltages and multiplier ratios when the defined thermal thresholds are breached.  -ASUS

I've modded a stock IX BIOS (version 1010) that only has the microcode for the R0 stepping of 9900K and should work for 9900KS if anyone is interested in experimenting; send me a PM.

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of things:

* Bypassing the SKT_OCC pin on the motherboard is going to be an extra risk on damaging / modifying the motherboard.

* It's also a much more noticeable mod, with a longer wire that can potentially get snagged or torn off or whatever.

* It does not isolate the pin in the socket that can get burnt out due to over current

* If you are going to bother masking the pin on the back of the cpu itself, then at that point you might as well also short the SKT_OCC pair of pins there too, which means you don't need to bother doing that 2nd jumper wire after all.

This does however mean that you need to carefully modify each cpu before you put it into the motherboard - so there is a trade off. Depending upon how often you are changing cpus out. YMMV, but this is best advise, from dsanke, who is the guy supplying and supporting these mod BIOSes.