HWBOT Community Forums

Asus Maximus IX Apex and Coffee Lake Cpu's !

3 hours ago, dreamcat4 said:

Ths does however mean that you need to carefully modify each cpu before you put it into the motherboard - so there is a trade off. Depending upon how often you are changing cpus out. YMMV, but this is best advise, from dsanke, who is the guy supplying and supporting these mod BIOSes.

Yep, there certainly are tradeoffs, I prefer to mod the mobo since I'm switching cpu's and mainboards a lot as in multiple times daily during binning or Comps using hardware I have ( 1 8700k + Coffee modded Z170 SOC Force LN2, MOCF and Apex IX + XI and a few Kaby K sku's ). Now that XP seems to work without performance penalty on Apex XI, I'll probably stick with 8700k in Apex XI and kaby's on Z170/270 but when ram binning is needed that may change. JustXOCthings

FYI: No burnt pins yet here but I have not taken 8700k past SS temps but it's almost always on Phase when used

Edited by GtiJason

Thinking about this matter it has since occurred to me today certain aspect of doing these hard mod on the boards themselves. Which is as follows:

* If you glue down, or use UV curing mask on the little wire, then this makes a more durable trace. That is going to be much more resilient to incidental hits / blows. This is a better sort of job than is displayed in the photo.

* If you want to break off the 2 isolate pins in LGA socket: well that is not normally recommended. Because there is a high chance of the broken off pin going 'ping' and flying off somewhere into the holes in the LGA socket. Never being retrievable again and potentially causing a short circuit. Very risky.

* However if you can place a high strength magnet nearby. Then in therory the broken pin will always fly in the air and be catched by the magnet. For example I have some of these very cheap / very small / very high strength neodnyum magnets. Which are ideal for such purposes.

That last suggestion is best tested on a broken board / broken LGA socket first of all. To ensure that these LGA pins are indeed magnetic (which I am guessing they should be).

Anyhow you know it's all personal preference. People always take care around the pci-e slots where the jumper pins is. And some people just don't mind just letting the short pin burn off the tip (if that happens, let it happen). Which just doesn't seem to hurt anything. So those extra efforts for perfectionists, for others it is not to be concerned for, and not enough matter to be bothered about.

But what I would say about burnt pin is: How can you be sure it does not leave metal debris fall into the LGA socket? Because once that happens, it's just going to rattle around down there and cannot be found / shook out again... I guess this is the main reason why I bother to talk about this matters. If you want to play it safe, it depends on the amount of precautions or levels of risks you wish to take.

Also I might add that: dsanke does a whole lot of different boards. It might be that his is a more general recommendation. Due to not being able to keep track of which specific boards get this burnt pin. It's just easier to recommend that always. Or it could be that this overcurrent situation only occurs with specific CPUs, or under specific overclocking condition. I really don't know. It's not supposed to happen in the first place according to the intel specs.

Ultimately its your property, it's really to the personal choice of the owner. Which levels of trade offs / paranoia. Overally fairly safe here I think. At least with this board it would seem, according to other people's comments here. But did anybody think to check the socket afterwards for burnt pin? IDK. This is really the all limit of my knowledge on the matter. I don't risk such things.

I don't think it is because otherwise why it is needed to create these custom BIOS files to make the M9A work with CL CPU's. On the official page in the list of CPU support the max is 7 series (7700K) so natively the CL CPU's (8xxx and 9xxx) are not supported officialy.

• Like 1

My answer is that:

Since long ago the bios modders have realized that the hardware on the 10 is almost identical to the 9. So we can just use the z370 bios without and significant risk or issue. This is indeed very true and almost everybody here (and for many months now) has been using z370 bios without issue. That is because (for this specific board) there is no compatibiltiy issue to be concerned for. Unlike with other types / models of motherboard.

So there is no motivation for anybody to do such a thing. You can try to do this and you will have greater issues especially concerning the max number of threads etc. as previously discussed. The z370 native bios neatly avoids all this issues and all other issues... which is why we love it so much.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, IvanCupa said:

Hello, I want to ask quick question.

Is there any 'native' Maximus 9 Apex BIOS that can support Coffee Lake with HT working?!

*Not that Maximus X Apex BIOS ported to the IX Apex

Thanks..

Not sure if this is considered native, but I added HT to 0094 from AlexRo. Not very recent tho so doubt KF or KS works

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, GtiJason said:

Not sure if this is considered native, but I added HT to 0094 from AlexRo. Not very recent tho so doubt KF or KS works

"Added HT to 0094",    How?

Anyway thank you for this '0094 / creative.rom' modded to support HT. I'll try it. ?

Edited by IvanCupa

I do have some questions about the mod.
Ive been using this mod for a couple of months, no issues at all...

So the question is, I could use metallic pens with silver based for tracing the "wiremod" close to the pcie? It will be enough current to just do the job?
Because its easier, cleaner to do, later we can apply some nail polish over for protection.

oh, my old comment in this post I was complaining about losing performance from OC in RAm, I just figure out it was the thirds timmings which are too loose.

4 minutes ago, SoulDealer said:

metallic pens with silver based for tracing the "wiremod" close to the pcie? It will be enough current to just do the job?

Yeah that is a brilliant idea. I think in most cases you aught to have less than 100 ohms resistance with a decent / good enough silver pen. So normally we would assume that should be low enough resistance to be good enough to pull up / pull down the line. It is worth trying, is you do so then please come back later to let us know such result, and which was the silver pen or paint product that was susccessful.

On 11/13/2019 at 6:00 PM, FLiiCHA said:

Hello,

I just bought a MAXIMUS IX EXTREME and wanted to know if the bios modification is enough to run an 8700k or 9700k
thank you

Probably you will need do the mod on CPU, shorting some pins and blocking some others.

I may say the reference mod for APEX would work on any Maximus, because seems to be similar in that area, need confirmation.

On 11/13/2019 at 3:03 PM, dreamcat4 said:

Yeah that is a brilliant idea. I think in most cases you aught to have less than 100 ohms resistance with a decent / good enough silver pen. So normally we would assume that should be low enough resistance to be good enough to pull up / pull down the line. It is worth trying, is you do so then please come back later to let us know such result, and which was the silver pen or paint product that was susccessful.

I really wanna try it.

Ill search for more info about pens and metallic inks.

Hi everyone,

Newbie here,

I managed to flash 2003 and 2203 bios, with 7600k inside its booting up and works no issues,

however when I put 9700k into M9A when I'm pressing start button fans even doesn't start spinning.

Any ideas what may I have done wrong ? 9700k is new just bought it today. And bios switch doesn't work when 9700k is inside

Edited by Filarsky
extra info

On 11/21/2019 at 4:00 PM, Filarsky said:

Hi everyone,

Newbie here,

I managed to flash 2003 and 2203 bios, with 7600k inside its booting up and works no issues,

however when I put 9700k into M9A when I'm pressing start button fans even doesn't start spinning.

Any ideas what may I have done wrong ? 9700k is new just bought it today. And bios switch doesn't work when 9700k is inside

Have you done the mod necessary to work?

The wiremod close to the PCIE slots? or the pinmod on cpu?

Hi, Thanks for your answer, it turned out wiremod was done incorrectly.

Now the only issue I'm having is that USB 3.1 (red port) doesn't work for me, is there any way to fix it ?

(BIOS 2203)

Changing settings in bios (enabling and disabling usb port) helped

Edited by Filarsky
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the bios, but it seems like my board have usb issue, so i modified 0022 BIOS (1010 official based (it support XP!) with USB OCP Disabled) and updating it with new microcode and HT support (not tested with HT CPU). It works with my system finally!

*Edited Link, wrong upload http://www.mediafire.com/file/k32du0uj93etp8d/ASUSTeK_MAXIMUS_IX_APEX_0022.PCIE.U0P0.HT.ACPI.678ABCD.CoreSync.rom

screen572.jpg

Edited by speed.fastest
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello guys. Just finished doing the hardware mod. But when i plug the ATX plug to the motherboard, the motherboard lights up for 3 seconds and goes black. If i hit the bios flahsback button right after turning the PSU on the blue led flashes 1-2 times before the board goes black again.. any idea ?

• 2 weeks later...

Survey: 

How many of you guys have had corruption and lost your whole Windows install while running your hack? 

Other day after 6-8 months of running good could not get past Windows spinning wheel (except safe mode couple times) and had to reinstall Windows fresh. Maybe my Ram overclock was no good or maybe the cpu wasn't getting enough volts.. Not sure.

Thanks