Jump to content
HWBOT Community Forums

Asus Maximus IX Apex and Coffee Lake Cpu's !


Recommended Posts

On 2/10/2021 at 3:40 AM, Gumanoid said:

Can anyone help?

First, try a low speed simple USB 2.0 stick with 8 Gb capacity, maybe you just have a controller incompatibility.
To flash dsanke modified BIOS you have to do that hardware mod, short these 2 contacts to remove Asus bios lock. Are you sure you did it right?
Or you can remove bios lock with software method as described here: https://www.win-raid.com/t3908f16-GUIDE-Grub-Fix-Intel-FPT-Error-or-BIOS-Lock-Asus-Other-Mod-BIOS-Flash.html

The bios lock is located at 0x939.
Or, you could ask that Lost_N_BIOS guy, make a thread and ask for help with 2402 modification.

Or, you can take 2301 unlocked version here:

P.S. Could you please share that latest dsanke 2402 version? Download links not working.

 

mod1eczcs.jpg

Edited by AlexRay
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is a link for 2402 and 2503 modded BIOSes from dsanke , I also have a Maximus IX Apex with the hardmod made and I had it working on it a i7 8700k , i7 8086k and a i9 9900k without problems. I am using 2203 BIOS at the moment with that board as I didn't have the time to try these latest BIOSes. I hope it helps , cheers.

 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vwPVwKMb2mVRvMZ4cpLBsCToq_Mh2zXO/view?usp=sharing

Edited by err0r
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/13/2021 at 12:41 PM, AlexRay said:

First, try a low speed simple USB 2.0 stick with 8 Gb capacity

I tried different flash drives, but the result is zero! The problem was that I formatted the flash drive in Windows 10, as soon as I formatted the flash drive in Windows 7, everything was done without question. Here is such a jamb.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, tvrdas said:

2402 works perfect
2503 cant get into bios, black screen, nothing works
someone tried 2503? i have no luck with it

I have a question. What's your bios file name for Asus flashback? M9A.CAP or creative.rom?

And did dsanke provided any info about 2503? Maybe he tried to get rid of Asus bios lock (and failed)?

Edited by AlexRay
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/14/2021 at 11:42 PM, Gumanoid said:

I tried different flash drives, but the result is zero! The problem was that I formatted the flash drive in Windows 10, as soon as I formatted the flash drive in Windows 7, everything was done without question. Here is such a jamb.

You'll have exFAT, FAT32 or NTFS file system at your choice to format a flash drive, no matter the OS.
You CAN format your USB flash drive with Windows 10 and get it work with Asus flashback if you choose FAT32 in that dialog box ("file system" parameter).
Requirements Tool: Prepare a USB flash drive with a capacity of 1GB or more. *Requires a single sector USB flash drive in FAT16 / 32 format.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, AlexRay said:

I have a question. What's your bios file name for Asus flashback? M9A.CAP or creative.rom?

And did dsanke provided any info about 2503? Maybe he tried to get rid of Asus bios lock (and failed)?

creative.rom

But you must have shorted 2 pins near BIOS chip. Otherwise creative.rom will not work. Place only BIOS file into the root od usb drive.

Edited by tvrdas
Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, tvrdas said:

creative.rom

But you must have shorted 2 pins near BIOS chip. Otherwise creative.rom will not work. Place only BIOS file into the root od usb drive.

Ok, thanks. I've used M9A.CAP for 2301 version, but looks like creative.rom works too.

>But you must have shorted 2 pins
Or, you can flash unlocked bios.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0ydhw2ruesg7y6q/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-APEX-ASUS-2301-D6-Unlock.7z/file

Edited by AlexRay
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 11:33 AM, AlexRay said:

You CAN format your USB flash drive with Windows 10 and get it work with Asus flashback if you choose FAT32 in that dialog box ("file system" parameter).

I'm not a fool, I formatted the flash in fat32, but there was no result. Problem solved, everything works great. Mobo like nuclear blast :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/26/2021 at 10:35 AM, Gumanoid said:

I'm not a fool, I formatted the flash in fat32, but there was no result. Problem solved, everything works great. Mobo like nuclear blast :)

Да понятно что не дурак, на крайняк есть ещё такая утилитика для SD карт, ей флешки в FAT32 тоже можно успешно форматировать. Собственно всегда только ей и пользуюсь.

You can use this tool in case you faced any difficulties with that original Win10 format utility.

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/

 

Edited by AlexRay
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 2:30 PM, Uno132 said:

 

Anyone know which two pads should i connect to each other to flash mod bios on maximus 9 extreme?

 

I have the same problem with Asus ROG Maximus IX Extreme. Please help

 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/15/2018 at 6:34 PM, Alex@ro said:

As you could see already  coffe lake cpu 's can run on the Asus Maximus IX Apex motherboard. 

 

Full steps required for making this happen : 

 

#1 Hardware mod

 

 

Do the following modifications :

Short the following pads in order to flash the bios file : 

mod1eczcs.jpg

 

Solder the following points:

 

mod2lml40.jpg

 

#2 Bios flash

 

Download bios file from here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YbY993uzGtFBy3y-IBPtT_bLtYnF4H3T

 

EDIT 16/10/2018

 

BIOS 0094 Added support for future processors

 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XF59GuJbHDmCmc8JWZnZGTpzrMqhCBoI/view?usp=sharing

 

Rename it as creative.rom , copy it on a fat32 formatted drive  and flash it using USB Flashback method.

 

NOTE!

 

Do the bios flash after hardware mods are done  !!! Soldering cpu pads is not needed  . 

 

Known issue is that HT does not work currently on 6c cpu's hence it is disabled by default. After everything is set-up board will work with cofee lake based cpu's as well as with older cpu's without issue.

 

Have fun !

 

 

Edited by Malarkey966
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hallo!

Well, I have ASUS Maximus IX Apex. For flashing and testing I only use i5-7400 and 8GB @2400MHz. My goal is to run 2x 32GB @3600Mhz and my i7-9700KF(R0) + EVGA RTX 2070 Super ;o))) Currently I have the backup bios updated to offical non-modded version 1301. It was stupid to do so since it also updated ME. And I can't seem to get rid of it in any of my SW modding attempts. Both the chips must get downgraded. In primary chip I have the ported v2402 from Maximus X Apex, posted somewhere around here above and confirmed by many as working. I also tried CoffeeTime Tool 0.92 and created some modded files myself, but they dont work as expected niether.

So the problem seems to me, that even though my HW mods are fine and precise, they dont work at all! 

1. the CPU insulation/connection made according to the user guides. You can see the tiny holes made by pins of the socket, no shortage no problem, one would say...

2. the #SKT0CC pin (by the smd resistor) to GND - I soldered 2 wires with a little switch between the #SKTOCC and GND pin near the Nuovoton chip, you know, to be able to "apply/remove" this mod without too much soldering. Unfortunately this did not work for me! It just makes nothing. No matter what BIOS I run I can boot with my i5 with pin mod both, on or off, with no problem, but once I fit in the i7 and press Start button, it just starts up for a second and tren shuts down and only the red "CPU" LED blinks once. But there is a matrix according to which this board is "compatible" with i7-9700K (both P0 and R0), tested and cnfirmed fully working.

3. Shortening of the 2 pins between the SMDs near the South Bridge cooler that should work as a HW BIOS unlock also made nothing. So I am using rather the software unlock patch.

4. The ASUS native Flashback button & small FAT16 formatted USB flash drives with either CREATIVE.ROM or M9A.CAP or M9A.ROM did not work for me either. So I use afudos 3.05.04 with /GAN parameter. I am able to flash any image with this tool.

Any ideas what can go possibly wrong? What am I missing? Any advise would be highly appreciated!

Cheers, regards! George

IMG_20210323_012117[1].jpg

IMG_20210323_054722[1].jpg

IMG_20210323_055921[1].jpg

IMG_20210323_075840[1].jpg

IMG_20210323_080003[1].jpg

Edited by GeorgettaCZ
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, GeorgettaCZ said:

Hallo!

Well, I have ASUS Maximus IX Apex. For flashing and testing I only use i5-7400 and 8GB @2400MHz. My goal is to run 2x 32GB @3600Mhz and my i7-9700KF(R0) + EVGA RTX 2070 Super ;o))) Currently I have the backup bios updated to offical non-modded version 1301. It was stupid to do so since it also updated ME. And I can't seem to get rid of it in any of my SW modding attempts. Both the chips must get downgraded. In primary chip I have the ported v2402 from Maximus X Apex, posted somewhere around here above and confirmed by many as working. I also tried CoffeeTime Tool 0.92 and created some modded files myself, but they dont work as expected niether.

So the problem seems to me, that even though my HW mods are fine and precise, they dont work at all! 

1. the CPU insulation/connection made according to the user guides. You can see the tiny holes made by pins of the socket, no shortage no problem, one would say...

2. the #SKT0CC pin (by the smd resistor) to GND - I soldered 2 wires with a little switch between the #SKTOCC and GND pin near the Nuovoton chip, you know, to be able to "apply/remove" this mod without too much soldering. Unfortunately this did not work for me! It just makes nothing. No matter what BIOS I run I can boot with my i5 with pin mod both, on or off, with no problem, but once I fit in the i7 and press Start button, it just starts up for a second and tren shuts down and only the red "CPU" LED blinks once. But there is a matrix according to which this board is "compatible" with i7-9700K (both P0 and R0), tested and cnfirmed fully working.

3. Shortening of the 2 pins between the SMDs near the South Bridge cooler that should work as a HW BIOS unlock also made nothing. So I am using rather the software unlock patch.

4. The ASUS native Flashback button & small FAT16 formatted USB flash drives with either CREATIVE.ROM or M9A.CAP or M9A.ROM did not work for me either. So I use afudos 3.05.04 with /GAN parameter. I am able to flash any image with this tool.

Any ideas what can go possibly wrong? What am I missing? Any advise would be highly appreciated!

Cheers, regards! George

 

 

 

Maybe the skt_occ issue is do to long skinny wires and switch. I've done the original (Alex@Ro op way) and similar to the newer more elegant solution (Gumaniod above, Luumi video) and still use Kaby lake cpu's.
No pin mod on cpu's or pin blocking either. Thats for SKL,KBL,CFL,CFL-R, clean pins on all cpu's
As for bios flashing once I shorted the 2 pads I've been able to flash really any bios I've made by renaming Creative.ROM
Remember tho that Asus bios ending in .CAP need to have the capsule modified, extracted removed etc

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/16/2021 at 11:05 AM, AlexRay said:

Ok, thanks. I've used M9A.CAP for 2301 version, but looks like creative.rom works too.

>But you must have shorted 2 pins
Or, you can flash unlocked bios.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0ydhw2ruesg7y6q/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-APEX-ASUS-2301-D6-Unlock.7z/file


Are you sure about this? I assumed this bios had no lock for future flashing in place, but still needed to bypass the lock for getting it running first. (shorting or grub)

I could be wrong so would love to get some clarification on this, might revive my Apex IX and grab a 9900K from somewhere.

Edit
Gave it a try and doesn't seem to be working on an unmodified board. Flashback doesn't start. The disk drive blinks for a second then stops.

Edited by m0nsky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/24/2021 at 4:48 AM, GtiJason said:

Maybe the skt_occ issue is do to long skinny wires and switch. I've done the original (Alex@Ro op way) and similar to the newer more elegant solution (Gumaniod above, Luumi video) and still use Kaby lake cpu's.
No pin mod on cpu's or pin blocking either. Thats for SKL,KBL,CFL,CFL-R, clean pins on all cpu's
As for bios flashing once I shorted the 2 pads I've been able to flash really any bios I've made by renaming Creative.ROM
Remember tho that Asus bios ending in .CAP need to have the capsule modified, extracted removed etc

Hallo GtiJason!

Well, thank you for your comment! Too bad you only write in so short and fast sentenses that are not fully understandable for me... So what exactly shall I do according to you? What would be the correct combination of steps of modding to make it all work?

1. Regarding the #SKTOCC, shall I remove the wires with the switch and only twist the 3rd smd resistor as shown on one of those pictures above? And thats it? No other hardware mods either on the CPU or on the motherboard needed???

2. Regarding the flashing, there are 2 ways as far as I understand. a) unlock the bios full write ability by shorting the 2 pins next to the pin 37 as shown on "Extreme" and "Apex" picture above. b) use the flash file that is already unlocked(?) 

Add. a) I shorted the 2 pins by soldering them together with drop of solder iron. Nothing else around. Then I tried to start only with my i5-7400 to make sure everything is fine. But when I powered up the board, both the LEDs indicating the currently used bios chip, were off and the board did not start at all! Removing the solder drop made the board alive again. So...What is the correct procedure with them 2 pins? What am I doing wrong? Using the i7 also did not make any difference. Can anybody provide picrures of his own hardware mods on the board?

3. Just to make sure, my i7-9700KF is definately a CoffeeLake CPU, right?! Not a CoffeeLake-Refresh... Anyway, no connect/insulate mod on the CPU contact pads needed?? Is that correct??

Thank you all who replies and tries to help me out of my problems!!

Regards

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/5/2020 at 3:00 PM, davidm71_2 said:

Wonder if Asus will ever update bios to support SAM or Clever Access Memory feature to allow contiguous access to video card memory as one block. Was just reading about it on techpowerup. Averaged a 5-10 percent performance boost. Should be possible in every Intel processor since Haswell. We got to have this.


Some Z370 news popped up today.
 

raf3s4w29yr61.png

Edited by m0nsky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...