HWBOT Community Forums

What counts as sandy bridge?

OC.Queen

7 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

Sadly your CPU is LGA2011 which is HEDT, secondly we don't allow server CPUs since a long time at HWBOT for any competition. Maybe this needs a change for older hardware

Agreed about older hw, any bclk/fsb platform should allow server chips as they're essentially the same as consumer cpus and often use the same sockets and were popular at the time. I think lga 2011 and newer would be a good cutoff for not allowing xeons in comps as there is actual core count differences after that, as well as the general rarity of unlocked xeon high core count chips.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, I just tried to add scores with i7-4960x for this competition. The platform or architecture of the chip wasn't restricted. The HWBOT gave me a "no" to my submission. But: The CPU I7-4960x is Ivy Bridge core based cpu. Please refer: http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/core_i7_4960x/ By Wikipedia: " "Ivy Bridge-E family is the follow-up to Sandy Bridge-E, using the same CPU core as the Ivy Bridge processor" So Ivy Bridge-E is the name for the architecture of the chip - family name, not the core. Push the "view other processors from the Core i7 (Ivy Bridge) family" GTX 590 is a single card from 500 series. I ask for two things 1. Unlock i7-4960x for this competition, as it is not restricted by description. 2. Than change my CPU to i7-4960x. or inform me to change it. If You make rules for competitions, than those have to be clear, and even when HWBOT page is showing other CPUs with Ivy Bridge core from i7-4960x site (all i7-3770k and more)... You restrict it somewhere else.

• Crew

Sandy bridge and Ivy bridge are LGA1155, Sandy Bridge-E and Ivy Bridge -E are part of the high end desktop LGA2011 platform. Due to the fact we moved back from the slow E-sport page to the regular one, the rules of the LGA 1155 Ivy bridge only got lost, same for stresing single core Geforce 500 series (read no GTX590 allowed)...

Nevertheless though the above reply to the Xeon part should be clear enough that SB-E nor IVY-E is allowed in this DIV VII challenger...

Shame for all of the work that I did with my own PC to get kicked, huh... "only got lost" is not so so professional, is it? :) Ok. I'm deleting other submissions, if they won't be allowed anyway. please make sure next time that the rules are clear. I repeat - Ivy Bridge core is the exact core in i7-4960x. There was no CPU platform restriction, there was no CPU family restriction. There was no card from 500 GTX family restriction.

• Crew

okay I just dug up the E sports page:

The graphics card choice is limited to a Nvidia Geforce 500 graphics cards (one core).  (http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/roadtopro_challenger_season4_division7_round2)

The processor choice is limited to Ivy bridge 1155  (http://oc-esports.io/#!/round/roadtopro_challenger_season4_division7_round2/4267/cinebench_-_r11.5)

Great! But where is the link from HWBOT to OC ESports? I didn't even know that this page existed and I thought that this limitations shown at HWBOT were precise. They should be. Rules should not be a thing to dug up but perfectly stated and not possible almost to be mistaken.