HWBOT Community Forums

Official HWBOT TEAM CUP 2018 Thread

Leeghoofd

So yet you let the Titan(V) in the comp but I can't use a single socket workstation cpu? That is the most stupid thing I have heard today. Then if that is the case all Xeons need banned plan and simple. If you're going to punish one you should do them all.

On 7/30/2018 at 7:09 PM, TAGG said:

@Noxinite I retrospectively stole your "member of the month", how's that for a entry ? :D

You will be dearly missed in Austria of course, but as you well said: Why be part of a team when you are the only one in it. Sad but true, overclocking is pretty much dead in Austria.

Have fun and kick ass at OCN. :)

3 minutes ago, yosarianilives said:

Any igp with ddr4 is allowed, as long as it has been ruled to be an igpu. Amd or Intel it does not matter. 

Huh?   Stage 6, iGPU?  5 says AMD, stage 8 = APU/IGP, stage 7 is dual GPU, not limited to AMD or NV as I read it (not iGPU)...and 6 is "silent" on GPU type (brand or integrated). 

4 minutes ago, Bulshooter said:

Is that only X79 oder can we use X99?

You write 2011 not 2011-3

No they won't allow any of them X79 or X99. It is absolutely ridiculous. The B.s excuse is that they're not common like the 775 and such which is a crock.  

4 hours ago, jpmboy said:

DDR4 stage 6 - no restrictions on desktop socket or GPU?

Thus far the only restriction mentioned by Leeg has been no Titans for DDR4 Stage 6.

8 hours ago, moparman said:

So yet you let the Titan(V) in the comp but I can't use a single socket workstation cpu? That is the most stupid thing I have heard today. Then if that is the case all Xeons need banned plan and simple. If you're going to punish one you should do them all.

I don't think Leeg has mentioned allowing Titans into the competition - where has he mentioned this?

3 hours ago, Bulshooter said:

I imagine if they meant 2011-3 (X99) they would have written 2011-3 instead of just 2011 (X79).

• Crew
5 hours ago, jpmboy said:

DDR4 stage 6 - no restrictions on desktop socket or GPU?

DDR4 platforms and no Titans as mentioned before, the stage will be Vantage GPU performance, to have a wider variety of benchmarks and to rule out them super expensive 7980XE CPUs.

4 hours ago, Bulshooter said:

X99 with DDR3 is hard to find I guess Frank, so yes it is LGA2011 only. And no Xeon CPUs

58 minutes ago, Cautilus said:

I don't think Leeg has mentioned allowing Titans into the competition - where has he mentioned this?

I imagine if they meant 2011-3 (X99) they would have written 2011-3 instead of just 2011 (X79).

DDR4 Stage7 is limited up to maximum of 2 GPUS, no limitations there besides no server CPUs. So e.g. Titan V can be used (but it doesn'"t work in SLI so they can only use one card)

Guys there are 8 stages per memory type, a team cup is not lost if you can't compete for the top spots in one stage. Team Cup always has been about benching on a huge variety of platforms, but it seems I just can't win and please everybody.

Edited by Leeghoofd
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Leeghoofd said:

DDR4 Stage7 is limited up to maximum of 2 GPUS, no limitations there besides no server CPUs. So e.g. Titan V can be used (but it doesn'"t work in SLI so they can only use one card)

Are we sure that we want to allow titans even for stage 7? Imho they're basically the same as server cpus. If they're allowed for that stage the lineup will be Titan XP sli, Titan X pascal sli, and 1080ti sli so it's basically no different to allowing titans in stage 6

• Crew

Stage 7 is all out with max 2 GPUs, if your team can manage the hardware list you mentioned, good for you you might secure top spot with 50 points in the pocket. Now if you think all teams can manage it I think we would agree to disagree. Is that unfair?, Maybe or maybe not as they can only use their superexpensive gear in one stage.  Now you talk of allowing them too in other stages Wow that's super contradicting to me...

I don't get all this nitpicking on some stages, Team Cup is not about 1 stage to complete,

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

Stage 7 is all out with max 2 GPUs, if your team can manage the hardware list you mentioned, good for you you might secure top spot with 50 points in the pocket. Now if you think all teams can manage it I think we would agree to disagree. Is that unfair?, Maybe or maybe not as they can only use their superexpensive gear in one stage.  Now you talk of allowing them too in other stages Wow that's super contradicting to me...

I don't get all this nitpicking on some stages, Team Cup is not about 1 stage to complete,

MLHACJhh.jpg

Edited by bigblock990
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure how barring 4K setups from a single DDR4 stage levels the field... not everyone keeps 10+ year old PC parts/components around and also "attend to" places like HWBOT.  More importantly when the majority of stages involve old/obsolete equipment, how does that attract new users/enthusiasts?  Rather than exclude very-HEDT from all stages to level the field, a few temperature or frequency limited stages would do the same. (yes, I do have some old stuff running 24/7, but that stuff has a day job ) Anyway - no worries Leeg, we all thank you for putting the Team Cup together, and for dealing with... well, us!  :)

Figure this will bring a smile to anyone:

tumblr_n2jvk5z48b1s02vreo1_400.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cost of buying an old system with  a bunch of CPU's to test = $150

Cost of buying 1 Titan V = $3K

It's not really a fair comparison is it really.....

I'm sure you'll get a lot more out of an old system and learn a lot more too. I would suggest more new users buy older gear to be honest as it gives them a cheaper platform to learn on.

• Like 3

I think that JPMBoy likes to bench new stuff and buys new stuff, team cup catering to blocking the new stuff is frustrating for him rightfully so. Let them eat cake imo :P 

The cost yes is high but a $3k GPU is worth $2.8k second hand while a handful of cpus and mobos worth scrap metal prices after you pay inflated ebay prices to find it. Just another perspective ?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ObscureParadox said:

Cost of buying an old system with  a bunch of CPU's to test = $150

Cost of buying 1 Titan V = $3K

It's not really a fair comparison is it really.....

I'm sure you'll get a lot more out of an old system and learn a lot more too. I would suggest more new users buy older gear to be honest as it gives them a cheaper platform to learn on.

right - so cost limitation thing, then 7980XE, or any of the $1000+ cpus are in? See my point? It's simply relative.  Old school comp is old school, team cup is old school also?  I've had (too) many old systems... when they were new ;).  (tho I still have an original 128K Mac I bought new in Feb 1984... #336 made)

We need to attract new enthusiasts, else it's a dead-end strategy.  Not gonna do that with old/obsolete gear - that's not what they buy. Otherwise we go the way of the old ham radio club. jmo.  Anyway, it's all good fun.  Enjoy.

45 minutes ago, jpmboy said:

right - so cost limitation thing, then 7980XE, or any of the $1000+ cpus are in? See my point? It's simply relative.  Old school comp is old school, team cup is old school also?  I've had (too) many old systems... when they were new ;).  (tho I still have an original 128K Mac I bought new in Feb 1984... #336 made)

We need to attract new enthusiasts, else it's a dead-end strategy.  Not gonna do that with old/obsolete gear - that's not what they buy. Otherwise we go the way of the old ham radio club. jmo.  Anyway, it's all good fun.  Enjoy.

It's great that they're putting on the comp and I give credit for that. But the rules are a joke and the stages do not attract new people and rather push people away.

• Like 1

You don't attract new members by raising the cost of entry. You do it by having a strong community that they want to be a part of. When I first got active on hwbot it was because of rog comp last year and I happened to have a platform that I could contribute for the r/oc team, which comes from an active community that I was a part of. I tried to do some solo competitions after that comp ended last year and what I found is that solo benching sucks. The only competitions that I have any fun in are the team competitions because of the community and working with my team to find the best hw and how to best take on a given bench. Most importantly I enjoy actually being able to contribute to a team, if the cost of entry was $5k in hw upfront I never would've gotten into this hobby. Ever. If the cost was $150 in hw that's actually fun to oc I wouldn't mind if it was worth "scrap" when I'm done because x299 would also be worth "scrap" when I'm done with it. "Renting" hw to bench is no fun and shouldn't be the requirement to be competive in a competition.

Making a single stage all out (DDR4 Stage 7) is fine because you can still be competive while absolutely losing that stage, but you shouldn't make it multiple stages that are lost. If someone like jpmboy only has fun benching new stuff that's fine, that's why there's a bunch of varying stages and it's a team comp. You work with your team to fill the stages you don't feel like benching or don't have the hw for so that you can fill all stages. Of course you can't  have all the stages you want (I'd have loved have seen 1155 show up at all in this competition) but perhaps you'll see that the competition is about benching about 2-3 stages and relying on a team for the rest. If you complain about this being a disadvantage for "weaker" teams then maybe you don't understand the point of a team comp. Why do you think team au wins country cup every year when if you do the numbers of golden hw USA should never lose, ever? It's because they're a fucking team and they bench as one. Teams that don't bench as a team won't win team competitions.

Edited by yosarianilives
  • Like 5