HWBOT Community Forums

Official HWBOT TEAM CUP 2018 Thread

Leeghoofd

• Crew

If we want to attract new people we should have bulletproof benchmarks that work on the latest OSses.. sadly we are limited to a handfull that are RTC bug free... Thanks for Intel for adressing it, no thanks to AMD for not giving a fuck. Nothing evolving in this hobby besides the hardware, hence why we need 6 different OSses to get the best performance per benchmark. This alone frustrates new users, as they all bench on 8.1 or 10. Only Futuremark moves on , the rest is...

About the hardware cost, things are getting ridicilous and I even suggested a 10 core limit on the newer gens of CPUs. Many 3D benchmarks have become in fact 2D benchmarks. No more LN2 on GPUs as the CPU takes control of the total output. Is that benching ? Maybe it is in your book, in mine things have become way too easy. Do you need to pull out a soldering iron each time?  nope but grabbing points and winning certain competitiions have never been easier. If we would allow 7980XE and Titan GPUs to rule in the DDR4 stage , would that attract new blood? I beg to differ from many of the haters in this thread. Open up to cheaper and more challenging hardware... it is not just about points and WRs....

I can assure you Country Cup will be a similar format as it was too easy to claim the victory, since you only needed a few recently modern good CPUs to trash the rest. Unless you want to design the competition with me. Ex-admins approved of the current format as it is versatile and it will be challenging to hit the top spots in each stage.

Thanks Yousarianlives for a nice recap on what Team Cup should be.

appluase.gif.d5ca881ff4dc7d8d6330095e3b1ebfe3.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Leeghoofd said:

If we want to attract new people we should have bulletproof benchmarks that work on the latest OSses.. sadly we are limited to a handfull that are RTC bug free... Thanks for Intel for adressing it, no thanks to AMD for not giving a fuck. Nothing evolving in this hobby besides the hardware, hence why we need 6 different OSses to get the best performance per benchmark. This alone frustrates new users, as they all bench on 8.1 or 10. Only Futuremark moves on , the rest is...

About the hardware cost, things are getting ridicilous and I even suggested a 10 core limit on the newer gens of CPUs. Many 3D benchmarks have become in fact 2D benchmarks. No more LN2 on GPUs as the CPU takes control of the total output. Is that benching ? Maybe it is in your book, in mine things have become way too easy. Do you need to pull out a soldering iron each time?  nope but grabbing points and winning certain competitiions have never been easier. If we would allow 7980XE and Titan GPUs to rule in the DDR4 stage , would that attract new blood? I beg to differ from many of the haters in this thread. Open up to cheaper and more challenging hardware... it is not just about points and WRs....

I can assure you Country Cup will be a similar format as it was too easy to claim the victory, since you only needed a few recently modern good CPUs to trash the rest. Unless you want to design the competition with me. Ex-admins approved of the current format as it is versatile and it will be challenging to hit the top spots in each stage.

Thanks Yousarianlives for a nice recap on what Team Cup should be.

appluase.gif.d5ca881ff4dc7d8d6330095e3b1ebfe3.gif

I 100% agree with you. That has been my latest issue is I can't get 10 on my Taichi X470 and my subs get deleted when I use 10.

3 hours ago, yosarianilives said:

You work with your team to fill the stages you don't feel like benching or don't have the hw for so that you can fill all stages. Of course you can't  have all the stages you want (I'd have loved have seen 1155 show up at all in this competition) but perhaps you'll see that the competition is about benching about 2-3 stages and relying on a team for the rest. If you complain about this being a disadvantage for "weaker" teams then maybe you don't understand the point of a team comp. Why do you think team au wins country cup every year when if you do the numbers of golden hw USA should never lose, ever? It's because they're a fucking team and they bench as one. Teams that don't bench as a team won't win team competitions.

So you HAVE been listening.  :)

5 hours ago, yosarianilives said:

You don't attract new members by raising the cost of entry. You do it by having a strong community that they want to be a part of. When I first got active on hwbot it was because of rog comp last year and I happened to have a platform that I could contribute for the r/oc team, which comes from an active community that I was a part of. I tried to do some solo competitions after that comp ended last year and what I found is that solo benching sucks. The only competitions that I have any fun in are the team competitions because of the community and working with my team to find the best hw and how to best take on a given bench. Most importantly I enjoy actually being able to contribute to a team, if the cost of entry was $5k in hw upfront I never would've gotten into this hobby. Ever. If the cost was $150 in hw that's actually fun to oc I wouldn't mind if it was worth "scrap" when I'm done because x299 would also be worth "scrap" when I'm done with it. "Renting" hw to bench is no fun and shouldn't be the requirement to be competive in a competition.

Making a single stage all out (DDR4 Stage 7) is fine because you can still be competive while absolutely losing that stage, but you shouldn't make it multiple stages that are lost. If someone like jpmboy only has fun benching new stuff that's fine, that's why there's a bunch of varying stages and it's a team comp. You work with your team to fill the stages you don't feel like benching or don't have the hw for so that you can fill all stages. Of course you can't  have all the stages you want (I'd have loved have seen 1155 show up at all in this competition) but perhaps you'll see that the competition is about benching about 2-3 stages and relying on a team for the rest. If you complain about this being a disadvantage for "weaker" teams then maybe you don't understand the point of a team comp. Why do you think team au wins country cup every year when if you do the numbers of golden hw USA should never lose, ever? It's because they're a fucking team and they bench as one. Teams that don't bench as a team won't win team competitions.

I bench old (OCN Freezer Burn comp) but mostly new stuff on water only - and would rather spend any hard earned money on contemporary gear which can be later used productively or sold, gifted or what ever I choose to do with.  I really just bench the rigs that I'm using daily.

Oh, Yes.  THIS not free, whether one buys a new $1500-3000 card or fishes thru many hundred of dollars worth of sleeze-bay stuff looking for golden oldies, which costs time - the only thing you can't get more of ?.  And then paying big $ for cryo gear and LN2.  Either way, none of this is cheap.  Not sayin' the DDR4 section should allow 7980XE and TV across the board.

And I couldn't agree more - with the exception of the more recent Futuremark releases, most 3D benchmarks have little to do with the graphics processor(s).  The funny and sad thing is the hatred towards Titan cards of any generation to the extent of specific exclusion from all competitions except ProOC, even to the exclusion of the OG Maxwell Titan from competitions. 

All said - we're here for FUN, let's just lighten things up a little, or light them up.  Which ever works for ya.

120x120px-LS-8748deac_kitchen.gif

Edited by jpmboy
  • Thanks 1

I don't think here someone hate Titan or 7980XE... they can easily make you gain globals and top rankings places.

In a great cup as team cup the focus is on so many different platforms, great teammates participation and improve oc ability.

Honestly, not much effort or fun mounting a 7980XE, a Titan, swtich on, appling oc and pressing the button "start benchmark". imho.

Edited by superpatodonaldo

9 hours ago, Leeghoofd said:

There are ways around the "too easy" factor that we've done in previous years - just setup certain cards only - if you pick older gen, then you have to mod them, which I'm all for.
For me personally? learning the right OS for the benchmark and all the tweaks are PART of the benchmark process, if a benchmark was set clocks and press start, how boring! 

I'm fine with a 10c limit on stuff for comps, but I do like when there's a full out stage, which i think is good for vendor promotion as well.

Is the hwbot asana still open for collaboration for the CC stages Albrecht? (looks like yes but cancelled from march 2019)

• Like 2

15 hours ago, superpatodonaldo said:

I don't think here someone hate Titan or 7980XE... they can easily make you gain globals and top rankings places.

In a great cup as team cup the focus is on so many different platforms, great teammates participation and improve oc ability.

Honestly, not much effort or fun mounting a 7980XE, a Titan, swtich on, appling oc and pressing the button "start benchmark". imho.

yup, that's about it all it takes for any component, 7980XE, 8700K 7700k, old AMD or anything else - unless you start to hard mod.  ?

Edited by jpmboy

8 hours ago, Leeghoofd said:

Gonna split up over the 4 different memory types, once TC starts and you have an issue plz comment in the appropriate thread.

thanks and have fun or at least try to have fun

Thanks.

Could you update the opening post with the missing restrictions please (Wolfdale-3M in DDR2 and some of the DDR3 stages).

• Crew

stages are fully visible in the competitions tab (if I forgot something or any inputs now is the moment to do a last minute change)

We can expect some minor issues when submitting, Frederik will be on leave for 5 days, so hold on to your scores but plz report any encountered issues

first edit: Opterons added DDR

Edited by Leeghoofd
  • Thanks 1