HWBOT Community Forums

The Official Team CUP 2018 DDR3 stage thread:

Leeghoofd

• Crew

look guys we use what is listed at the Bot, even it might be incorrect according some websites or members.

if your planned videocard is Hawai at HWBOT it will be Hawai for the competition... Zosma is Zosma, not Thuban... and Grenada is Grenada

I hope this clears out the confusion

Edited by Leeghoofd
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

look guys we use what is listed at the Bot, even it might be incorrect according some websites or members.

if your planned videocard is Hawai at HWBOT it will be Hawai for the competition... Zosma is Zosma, not Thuban... and Grenada is Grenada

I hope this clears out the confusion

So then for example this score should be pulled from the comp? (not trying to call you out mac, I think it should be legal and would love to sub on 300 series)

57 minutes ago, havli said:

No, but it is not needed for anything but GPUPI... so waste of time in my book. Also the risk of bricking the MB is always there if something goes wrong.

FM1 isn't needed for anything but GPUpi here either... Its not a particularly valuable platform regarding points.

59 minutes ago, mickulty said:

Fair point, wouldn't want to risk hardware.  We should just run at stock.

Well, it is simple evaluation of risks and benefits. Bios flashing is far more risky than OC. And since money doesn't exactly grow on trees (at least not here :D) then it is better to get the most of it by focusing on the 20 other benchmarks that doesn't require such modifications. ;)

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, havli said:

Well, it is simple evaluation of risks and benefits. Bios flashing is far more risky than OC. And since money doesn't exactly grow on trees (at least not here :D) then it is better to get the most of it by focusing on the 20 other benchmarks that doesn't require such modifications. ;)

But fm1 is one of the cheapest platforms in the comp? People have zero issue pulling out the soldering iron on $600+ cards for 3d stages yet it's too much of a monetary risk to potentially brick the bios on a $50 board? There is no logic in your argument. Just admit that you were wrong previously and move on.

If you want to complain about "risky" "expensive" stages then perhaps complain about the dual gpu stage that allows titan's and will likely need mods on all 6 cards to be truly competiive or the IGP stage that require 2 scores from $800+ intel NUC's if you want to be competive.

• Like 1

• Crew

Each takes his own responsability what he wants or doesn't want to do.  It is your choice to skip a stage too because you don't see the point in benching this. However each point counts in these competitions,... Also If ever you brick the bios, you can still order a new one flashed with your favorite version at ebay for 15 bucks...

Maybe Country Cup will be hardware "that gives no valuable points" only... It should be all about the fun part, seems some lost that somehow down the road...

I really don't grasp some comments

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, yosarianilives said:

But fm1 is one of the cheapest platforms in the comp? People have zero issue pulling out the soldering iron on $600+ cards for 3d stages yet it's too much of a monetary risk to potentially brick the bios on a $50 board? There is no logic in your argument. Just admit that you were wrong previously and move on.

If you want to complain about "risky" "expensive" stages then perhaps complain about the dual gpu stage that allows titan's and will likely need mods on all 6 cards to be truly competiive or the IGP stage that require 2 scores from $800+ intel NUC's if you want to be competive.

Cheapest? No, not for me anyway... that would be s478 or 754. Maybe some people don't have problem doing hardmods on $600 GPU, but I do. Simple look on my paycheck  is discouraging enough. :P Also I don't like killing HW in the process of overclocking - I have thousands of scores here on Bot... and yet I can easily count components that died on my fingers. :D

$800 NUC or dual Titan is no concern to me, because I don't have that kind of HW and never will. Also I don't really care about TC standings at all - one-man-team can never reach decent position in competition like this. :) 

26 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

Also If ever you brick the bios, you can still order a new one flashed with your favorite version at ebay for 15 bucks...

Sure and then desolder the old chip and put new one in... doable of course. But not bricking the original one is far more time/money effective.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

Maybe Country Cup will be hardware "that gives no valuable points" only... It should be all about the fun part, seems some lost that somehow down the road...

If the GPUPI poll has proved anything it's that you shouldn't worry too much about the complaints of a couple of individuals.  I'm all for cheap and cheerful OC of course, but let me tell you everyone in /r/oc is loving the team cup as you've done it.  Look at it this way, 32 stages and not a single complaint about the vast majority of them, that's pretty impressive.

6 hours ago, havli said:

No, but it is not needed for anything but GPUPI... so waste of time in my book. Also the risk of bricking the MB is always there if something goes wrong.

If you really think that then you are on the wrong forum.

PS: I just flashed a FM1 board 20 times. Seems like I'm crazy in the coconut. ?

• Like 2

@Mr.Scott

That is very nice offer and I really appreciate it. For now I'll stay in my team. But if they won't change their attitude to team competitions for the next season, then the chance to join W9 is very tempting (if the offer still stands by then). :)

@_mat_

Well, then show me another benchmarks that gain performance from this... besides GPUPI.

Edited by havli
  • Like 2