HWBOT Community Forums

The Official Team CUP 2018 DDR3 stage thread:

Leeghoofd

• Crew
5 hours ago, Leeghoofd said:

Really these comments... Go back to start don't receive 500 bucks... 

I want your version of the game...it's only 200 here ?

Anyways, back to benching people, still lots more time to go ?

Edited by Bilko

5 minutes ago, unityofsaints said:

I killed tons of hardware with LN2 yet never a problem with BIOS flashing - I must be doing something wrong? ;)

Yes, sure you are. Killing HW is not exactly proof of skill, is it? But i guess it is understandable considering you started overclocking just a year ago ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Every bench works differently and therefor has different needs. There is nothing wrong with that.

Knowing the benches, the hardware plus all these extra tricks like the right BIOS version/OS/driver/mod is exactly what overclocking is about. You know, Turrican was not a talkative person but if you asked him something very specific about a bench and a (old) platform he could talk a good while about all these little things, that showed why he really was that good. As I said, nothing wrong with that ...

Ok, I take it as no other benchmarks.

You realy don't need to teach me what overclocking is about :) I'm here long enough to know a few tricks here or there myself. The thing here is to evaluate whether it is worth the extra time spent or not. In other words - what is better - quantity or quality? For example SuperPI 32M - we all know it is best to run in on tweaked XP (for most platforms)... but is it worth the effort to install XP just for one benchmark, when I'm running the other 20 on W7 64?  For most cases it isn't. And the same applies here, on top of that the uncertainty of GPUPI future (what version will have points... 3.2, 3.3, 4.0... or which one will ger merged / deleted) might be discouraging people from putting too much work in it.

Edited by havli
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

42 minutes ago, havli said:

@Mr.Scott

That is very nice offer and I really appreciate it. For now I'll stay in my team. But if they won't change their attitude to team competitions for the next season, then the chance to join W9 is very tempting (if the offer still stands by then). :)

Offer is for life. ;)

Whenever you're ready.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Crew

Just want to say that we mostly rely on data from CPU-World and TPU GPUDB.
I know that CPU-Z as GPU-Z have problems showing the correct code name for recycled or castrated parts.
That often happens if the vendor doesnt change the IDs of those parts. Thats the reason why CPU-Z /GPU-Z doesnt match our db in some cases.

On that FM1 performance issue:
I put an answer already in the _mat's thread where he examined the issue. But in case you didnt read yet...
The reason why older bios versions are faster is that AMD turned of a feature of those CPUs because they found a bug which can cause the CPUs to hang.
GPUPI makes heavy use of division operations. Llano CPUs actually have a unit that can do those division operations very fast.
But because of a bug, AMD decided to turn that unit off.
Those operations need to go through other units of the CPU now which are a lot slower.
In case you ask now why nobody in the last 7 years bothered, the reason is that division operation seem to be just not that important under normal workloads, yet GPU-PI makes heavy use of it.

If you want to re-enable the performance, without downgrading your Bios or your OS:

https://www.passmark.com/forum/performancetest/3705-amd-llano-a-series-benchmark-and-cpu-bug?t=3656

Cbjaust already confirmed that it works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 9/13/2018 at 4:18 AM, Strunkenbold said:

If you want to re-enable the performance, without downgrading your Bios or your OS:

https://www.passmark.com/forum/performancetest/3705-amd-llano-a-series-benchmark-and-cpu-bug?t=3656

Cbjaust already confirmed that it works.

Edit: apparently that tweak wasn't public, so at request of originator of this sooper sekrits tweakz removing. I personally think that not sharing tweakz hurts the community and is partially responsible for lack of growth here but it also apparently wasn't my tweak to share. Sorry ya'll I thought it was well known ?‍♀️

Edited by yosarianilives
  • Confused 1

On 9/12/2018 at 6:44 PM, havli said:

Sure and then desolder the old chip and put new one in... doable of course. But not bricking the original one is far more time/money effective.

Just buy an FM1 board with a socketed BIOS chip then, like this one this one, this one, this one, this one or this one  (to name a few ;))

Edited by unityofsaints

On 9/20/2018 at 11:00 AM, Leeghoofd said:

All stages besides the SLI in DDR4 are single card and single core only cards....

I am sorry but the GTX 690 is part of the 600 series family and it's not mentionned that the dual GPU cards of the 600 series family are exlcuded. Let me kindly remind you the rules :

• Only use processors using socket LGA1155.
  • Only use videocard from the GeForce 600 series family.

For the SLI stage in DDR4 the GTX 690 could not even be used according to your rules as it's clearly said that user must use 2 single core GPU...

• must use 2 single core GPUs

At some point you have to be consistent with the rules settled at the beginning of the competition. You can not alter them whenever you want.

I just bought my GTX690 for this competition, and I am told after posting my score that I can't use it.

On 8/3/2018 at 11:49 PM, Leeghoofd said:

Only single core GPUs are allowed!!

That's all that needs to be said. Else we might as well dig out our 295X along with the 9800 GX2, GTX 690 and HD 7990... If you aren't sure about something being allowed, PM Leeghoofd before the comp starts - he won't leak your idea so nothing to worry about there. 

• Crew
5 hours ago, Peaches182 said:

I am sorry but the GTX 690 is part of the 600 series family and it's not mentionned that the dual GPU cards of the 600 series family are exlcuded. Let me kindly remind you the rules :

• Only use processors using socket LGA1155.
  • Only use videocard from the GeForce 600 series family.

For the SLI stage in DDR4 the GTX 690 could not even be used according to your rules as it's clearly said that user must use 2 single core GPU...

• must use 2 single core GPUs

At some point you have to be consistent with the rules settled at the beginning of the competition. You can not alter them whenever you want.

I just bought my GTX690 for this competition, and I am told after posting my score that I can't use it.

look August the 4th :

Issuer is with the old page back we have limitations on the things we can add to the compo. Hence why I created these topics before the compo started...

Edited by Leeghoofd
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...