HWBOT Community Forums

Xeon S771 CPUs allowed in DDR2 for stage 7 & 8

Leeghoofd

LGA771 Single Xeon CPU allowed for stage 7 & 8 TEAMCUP DDR2 stage ?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree on changing the limitations in stage 7 and 8 for DDR2 Team CUP?

I'd personnally allow Xeon 771 on all DDR2 stages.....cpu is modded to fit on 775 so it has the same chipset limitations as 775...

EDIT: you meant stages 7 & 8 ? adding 4 & 5 ...?

(for stage 2, wolfdale3M and xeon 771 won t work)

Edited by bolc

13 minutes ago, bolc said:

I'd personnally allow Xeon 771 on all DDR2 stages.....cpu is modded to fit on 775 so it has the same chipset limitations as 775...

EDIT: you meant stages 7 & 8 ? adding 4 & 5 ...?

(for stage 2, wolfdale3M and xeon 771 won t work)

5 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

Only 7 and 8 , keep the rest as is

I would agree to only keep it for the 3D stages, see you can use an AM3+ board for an AM3 CPU for the DDR3 stage because it's the CPU that's AM3 not really the board, so LGA 771 converted to work on LGA 775, is still LGA 771.

4 minutes ago, LordNicoll said:

I would agree to only keep it for the 3D stages, see you can use an AM3+ board for an AM3 CPU for the DDR3 stage because it's the CPU that's AM3 not really the board, so LGA 771 converted to work on LGA 775, is still LGA 771.

stage 5 is 3D ...?

AMD is a different story, the IMC is integrated in the cpu. But for 771 and 775, the mb northbridge integrates the MC, so it is pretty much the board that makes the fsb on quadcore, not the cpu...

given the folks with Xeon will not have unlocked cpus, we/they do not represent a threat for those benching QX**** cpus anyways... allowing 771 will only add fun

Edited by bolc
  • Like 1

I don't really see the point in this for stage 8 as that should be all thuban unless ssse3 is a big deal, but for stage 7 it'll be nice to have other options for binning, especially the 3.5 ghz dually. Either way see no reason not to allow this and like others have said it adds to the fun, so voting "yes" :P 

• Like 1

Just now, Jumper118 said:

All single socket xeon should be allowed in all competitions. :) I vote for Xeons! 

100% agree with the principle that if you're specifying a socket and core count then the 1p Xeons should be allowed, they're a surprisingly popular retail alternative for gamers so it lets people get into proper competitive benching.  Not sure about stuff like higher core count LGA2011, not a fan of situations where the strongest hardware is either locked or rare lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

48 minutes ago, mickulty said:

100% agree with the principle that if you're specifying a socket and core count then the 1p Xeons should be allowed, they're a surprisingly popular retail alternative for gamers so it lets people get into proper competitive benching.  Not sure about stuff like higher core count LGA2011, not a fan of situations where the strongest hardware is either locked or rare lol

Definitely agreed, anything pre-2011 should allow server cpus sans certain cases like s604 (6c penryn anyone?) and lga 1567 (8 and 10c nehalem). Once you get to 2011 you start getting into cases like having to hunt for an unlocked xeon with more cores than consumer hedt or ridiculous core count xeons. So I guess most accurately, we should allow any server that offer same core count as consumer chips would be my opinion.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, yosarianilives said:

Definitely agreed, anything pre-2011 should allow server cpus sans certain cases like s604 (6c penryn anyone?) and lga 1567 (8 and 10c nehalem). Once you get to 2011 you start getting into cases like having to hunt for an unlocked xeon with more cores than consumer hedt or ridiculous core count xeons. So I guess most accurately, we should allow any server that offer same core count as consumer chips would be my opinion.

+1 xeon harpertown can be exact matches for yorkfield in terms of number of cores and cache size

but he said next time ?

• 2 weeks later...