HWBOT Community Forums

AM3 RAM OC?

Noxinite

2 hours ago, I.nfraR.ed said:

With the SuperTalent kit I can run same settings as on the 970A-UD3 and Crosshair III.

890FXA-UD5 is a little faster than the 970A, but nothing dramatic in terms of eff. Mem overclock is a little harder on both CH3 and UD5.

No way I can drop off 10 seconds with just a board/bios change.

Plus I can't even beat my old 4G score, where I didn't even tried hard: http://hwbot.org/submission/2990939_i.nfrar.ed_superpi___32m_phenom_ii_x4_965_be_16min_16sec_641ms

So you can't reproduce like you old results? Same OS and all? 

Edited by Bullant

10 hours ago, Bullant said:

So you can't reproduce like you old results? Same OS and all? 

OS is the same, but new installation, maybe not set up correctly.

Managed to kind of match the old result with CH3, but only on higher HTRef, not sure what's up.

890FXA-UD5 with the same 555 doesn't want to boot mem higher than 1664 (overclocking failed, FSB back to 200), no matter timings, dividers and voltages. Tried all bioses, have to try with another CPU where it was working before. If I drop the mem divider at say 235 FSB, thus lowering the mem freq it boots.

This CPU can do 966 6-6-6-18.

screen000.jpg

Edited by I.nfraR.ed
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 12:48 AM, Bullant said:

Looks good mate, the ud5 rev2? It should go ok on psc-bbse 

Yes. didn't work well, waiting for the newer one.

Meanwhile, something interesting. Didn't expect Crosshair V would work so well with Thuban.

There's room for improvement. 890FXA-UD5 could not run 1100 at all, only booting sometimes.

1140 boots on CHV, but can't get it past initial loop, maybe cold on the CPU would help, might try with the chiller in full throttle.

Hypers... 1000 6-7-5 looks fast, but couldn't finish a run, needs more work. 1067 to 1100 7-8-7 in theory should be easy with my GTX2, but on this platform was a no go. On socket 775 they work well at 1000 6-7-5 http://hwbot.org/submission/3991700_ or 1085 7-7-6 on s.1155: http://hwbot.org/submission/2280242_i.nfrar.ed_superpi___32m_core_i5_2500k_5min_51sec_609ms 

Even 2200 8-8-8 doesn't work, while GTX2 are rated 2250 8-8-8 1.65V.

Will wait for both boards to arrive, test them and then decide which one would be the best to use for Thuban. Not gonna bother with LN2 yet.

screen004.thumb.jpg.24a5bd476e4151282391da9876343893.jpg

Edited by I.nfraR.ed
  • Like 3

So I spent the afternoon on this, my intel OS tweaked a little more for AMD and tweaking memory more. So had my improvement sorted then ran these few below while making slight adjustments. Running only hypers atm as I wanted to work eff, CPU is on SS -30 and memory warm air.......Will run up PSC and more 4-5Ghz ,LN2 cpu and memory  later as I get time

1.png

2.png

3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah Thuban is limited to around 2200 with psc, maybe the am3+ CPUs with better imc work better on that board speedfastest 

So why testing eff yesterday I've came across a couple oS tweaks that gave me like .500 aleast in eff, on AMD...I'm yet to test intel to see if it helps also....

im really liking this amd stuff, as it's very tweakable, tho I'm also looking forward to running a lot more modern  ddr4 soon ahah 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, speed.fastest said:

Wow, 500ms is alot! That awesome! And is someone here try Samsung (HYK0/HCH9/G-Die) on Crosshair V with Thuban? It can be awesome if it can run high frequency on Thuban, as we know samsung easier on imc than PSC/Hyper.

You still have a board Speed? If so join in mate....more the better 

20 hours ago, I.nfraR.ed said:

Tried the CH5 with Deneb at same settings as CH3 and 970A-UD3. Confirmed it's 10sec slower.

I had similar experience .. and yet, with PP (time * cpu clock) of 4159743, this score done on C5F is third-most efficient sub-11min 32M time on Deneb that I know of (behind Gyrock's 4152570 on C3F and Infrared's 4133136 on GA970)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TaPaKaH said:

I had similar experience .. and yet, with PP (time * cpu clock) of 4159743, this score done on C5F is third-most efficient sub-11min 32M time on Deneb that I know of (behind Gyrock's 4152570 on C3F and Infrared's 4133136 on GA970)

Hmm, you are right. I could probably improve my time at these clocks on the 970A-UD3, but maybe have to try CH5 with different set of timings. He's running lower mem, core and nb clocks, yet just 10sec slower time. I have tried older bioses without significant improvement, but havent tried 1102 - the one he's using.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed

3 hours ago, TaPaKaH said:

Random thought: did anyone ever notice the difference in OC between different mainboards of the same model on this platform?

CPU-wise not, but memory - yes. I had a Crosshair III that didn't like or couldn't clock my GTX2 as well as the current one.

It was long time ago and I didn't have a lot of hardware, so can't be sure if something else was the cause, but at that time I tried the same cpu and the hypers on another CH3 of a friend and booted 1800+ straight.

• Like 1