HWBOT Community Forums

x265 Benchmark 2.2 CPU

ADVenturePO

Hello OCers, 
since testing Threadripper 2950x my HWBOT x265 /any version/ is unable to collect data -  quits on save validation file.
I thought it was due to TR II 2950x problem but now I have the same issue on i7-6800k - pretty old.

It cannot send data to HWBOT either. 

Java runtime is up to date. Windows are up to date. All drivers are up to date. 

Have anyone experienced the same issue? 
HPET is on. ...

HWx265 10.459  4.6GHz 1.415 1.91 3GHz RAM CL14.png

• 5 months later...

So I tried to submit via the web and although it doesn't crash it doesn't actually do anything. No browser opens up, no dialogue box that says "successful submission" or "failed submission" or anything like that. I'm trying really hard to submit the following (see attachment) and am curious about what happens if I can't solve this problem? Will a screenshot be allowed or is a .dat file absolutely necessary?

verification.png

Leeghoofd,

Not sure if I'm just totally missing a piece of the puzzle here but when you say "save the result file" - I mean - that's the original problem. It crashes instead of saves it. Then I tried submitting through the web and had the same problem. I took the screenshot simply because that's all I can do. Please advise?

• Crew

The online sub has got nothing to do without you being able to save the validation file... the latter should always work, it doesn't with your OS... 

I would strongly suggest you to look into that than waiting for a fix for the straight online sub system....

but hey that's just my 2 cents...

Edited by Leeghoofd
  • Like 1

Like, Mat - I understood the issue to be two different things but wouldn't care if I couldn't save the file if I can submit it online. Obviously the issue with saving the file is more complex since not many people are having a problem and I fall into the category that does. Anyways, like I said - I'll keep trying to figure out the issue and cross my fingers that the submission via web might get fixed. I'm sure once the web server logs are referenced it'll be fairly obvious what the issue is.

@marco.is.not.80

There should be log file next to the executable... HWBOT_x265_Benchmark_log.txt  - Does it say anything interesting?

The code for manual file saving is unchanged since the beggining (2015 I think) as well as the bundled portable Java. Of course it is possible I did some mistake in there, however it must be very rare set of conditions because in 99.99% cases it works.

My bet is something is missing / broken in your OS. Possibly some service or function that is used when saving the file. The benchmark shouldn't just quit like you are experiencing.  In case something goes wrong, it might just hang or do nothing... however not quit silently.

Btw - did you try to redownload the whole benchmark again to make sure some of the files aren't corrupted?
Edited by havli

Hi Havli,

Yes, I did download a fresh copy yesterday but that didn't help. I agree with you - it must be related to something either being broken with my Windows 10 or I've got it configured (maybe something as simple as an environment variable that has a custom setting (ie. my temp file is on another drive rather than on the OS drive). Let me look at the log file again but that was the first place I went when I experienced this. 

I wish there was an "strace" like we have in Linux but I'll keep troubleshooting and let you know. Just to be clear, all the java related stuff is completely self-contained, right? No external environment variables should cause any issues or having the 64 bit and 32 bit versions installed at the same time, right?

EDIT: I ran it with compatibility settings "Windows 8" and it still just quit when I tried to save the results BUT this time there was log with the stack trace in it - I've attached it for your viewing pleasure ?

hs_err_pid788.log

Edited by marco.is.not.80
Add log file

Thank you for the log file.

It seems this might be some kind of a bug in Java. Same problem here for example https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8178873

X265 only uses the built-in portable java, should be completely independent on the installed x86 or x64 versions of Java. It even works on systems with no Java installed at all, as a portable benchmark (this was the goal after all).

Now the question is how to deal with this issue. One thing that might help could be changing the GUI style to not look like standard Windows application. This would require me to do some changes in the code, redesign all the graphics objects slightly.... and in the end it would look ugly (IMO :D) .

Another possibility worth trying is to download updated version of portable Java and replace the old one in X265/Java folder. I have no idea if this can fix the crashing problem or not. On my PC X265 works with both portable java versions (1.8.0_51 and 1.8.0_181)... but I never had this problem. Link for 1.8.0_181 is here:  https://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/Programming/Java-Portable.shtml (the x86 version)

The direct online submission problem shouldn't be related to this bug, as it doesn't use the file chooser window (which can cause troubles). So this is most likely what _mat_ mentioned.

Edited by havli

On 3/3/2019 at 8:13 AM, marco.is.not.80 said:

Not sure what you mean - are you saying I should try and submit directly to hwbot vs try and save the data file?

Sorry if I'm being dense ... ?

Sorry , I am working on Win 7 , saved without problems ....

Well, Havli - that did it! I downloaded the 32 bit installer from the link you provided and simply replaced the java directory with the new files and ran a 4k benchmark, hit the save results button and it opened up the dialog window, let me choose my location and voila. ?

Really appreciate you taking the time to support this issue considering you don't get paid AND it wasn't really affecting many people. I went to http://hw-museum.cz but couldn't find a donation/buy beer/send hookers link anywhere - please advise!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What worked for me was download again the ZIP/RAR file. Had that issue running a 7740X and 7940X some weeks agoñ Might be something related to OS if its a stripped version.

You dont need to install any JAVA version to run "HWBOTcx265", program comes with its own version. 

Edited by Samsarulz