HWBOT Community Forums

How to install Windows 7 x64bit on Intel Z390 motherboards ?

Good evening gents , anyone have windows 7 USB drivers for Z390 motherboards ? I have spent the last 3 days trying to install windows 7 x64bit on my Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 , until today that i finally manage to get a very old PS2 mouse and PS2 keyboard and was able to transplant a Z370 windows 7 installation to my Z390 MXIHero. The PS2 mouse works flawlessly but the PS2 keyboard it's kind of wonky , sometimes it will be detected and sometimes it will not :/ . But at least i am able to run windows 7 on the new Intel Z390 chipset.  i'm restricted to using either a PS2 mouse or a PS2 keyboard because there is only one PS2 conector at the back of the Asus MXI Hero Z390. So for screenies and saved files i will have to use a spare HDD to transfer those files for later submissions as i do not have USB ports working for my flash drives ?

The only thing that is not working on the Z390 mobo is the USB ports :( , not a single usb 2.0 -3.0 - 3.1 works on the motherboard , i have tried all kinds of usb drivers and so far none works on this Z390 boards , everything else installs correctly. Please if you have found some windows 7 USB drivers for Z390 post here or a fix , i and a lot of people would appreciate the help.

Edited by chispy

Images with USB drivers that worked on Z370 worked fine for me.
Asmedia drivers can be found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltfcr01cwi9orbf/ASM_USB3.rar?dl=0

You can of course drop it in your drive and then install it with ps2 keyboard/mouse from device manager.
Note you might need to install it two times. 1st time for  the usb controller then an "unknown device" might appear that needs the same procedure.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, FireKillerGR said:

Images with USB drivers that worked on Z370 worked fine for me.
Asmedia drivers can be found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltfcr01cwi9orbf/ASM_USB3.rar?dl=0

You can of course drop it in your drive and then install it with ps2 keyboard/mouse from device manager.
Note you might need to install it two times. 1st time for  the usb controller then an "unknown device" might appear that needs the same procedure.

Thank you so much for the help but is not working on my w7 :( , i tried thru device manager and none won't install. Windows cannot find a compatible driver is all i says. I'm pulling my hair out.

20181026_214212.jpg

• Like 1

you should have 2x USB devices listed with one being able to install the drivers (at least thats how it is for Gene). 
Are you sure you dont have the asmedia usb controller disabled?

edit: I am not sure if Hero has the asmedia usb controller after all. If not you can always pass all the needed files to the drive via usb to sata from another pc or use a pcie usb card

Edited by FireKillerGR
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FireKillerGR said:

you should have 2x USB devices listed with one being able to install the drivers (at least thats how it is for Gene). 
Are you sure you dont have the asmedia usb controller disabled?

edit: I am not sure if Hero has the asmedia usb controller after all. If not you can always pass all the needed files to the drive via usb to sata from another pc or use a pcie usb card

Correct 100% the Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 does not have asmedia usb controller , it is all integrated into the new chipset Z390 hence why the previous Z370 drivers do not work , it's all new Intel usb controller :( with no W7 drivers for it , only w10 is supported. No biggie i will buy a pcie usb card , meanwhile i will be using the PS2 conector to bench on W7. Thank you so much for trying to help my friend , appreciate it. A big thank you :) ! 

Dang no more xp support for superpi , no more support for W7 , at this rate by next year we all going to be benching only on W10 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is what it looks like in windows 10 with all the usb drivers installed:

20181026_230550.jpg

Edited by chispy
  • Like 1

Here it's a guide to help you guys out installing windows 7 x64bit on Asus Maximus XI Z390 Series motherboards ( Might work on other mobos as well with a PS2 port or Asmedia usb ports ).

I manage to get windows 7 x64bit correctly installed and fully working on my Asus Maximus XI Hero Z390 , it's a painful slow process but it works 100% for me. You will need a pci-e to usb expansion card with at least 2 usb ports , a native PS2 mouse and a native PS2 keyboard. You will need to use some software to do this = ASUS EZ Installer ( download from the Asus Strix Z370 support page ) - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z370-F-GAMING/HelpDesk_Download/ , Gigabyte Windows USB Installation Tool ( download from the Gigabyte Aorus Ultra gaming Z370 support page ) - https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z370-AORUS-ULTRA-GAMING-20-OP-rev-10#support-dl-utility follow the instructions on this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APcboOpP4TY and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=385&v=8VTC4k6SLWY. A windows 7 x64bit usb installation flash drive , Rufus = https://rufus.ie/en_IE.html. ** Follow the videos and also you need to inject those asus drivers , eg. you need to use both utilities Gigabyte and Asus to inject all the drivers to be able to install windows 7.

After you finally install windows 7 , install the drivers for your pci-e to usb expansion card with your PS2 mouse after you drop them inside your windows 7 installation from other OS drive  and that's it :) a fully working windows 7 x64bit , now you can use those 2 usb ports to use your usb keyboard and usb mouse * Go rip some benchmarks on windows 7 for hwbot :)

Important note * The usb ports of the Z390 motherboards do not have windows 7 support eg. No drivers exist for windows 7 , only windows 10 as this is a brand new chipset with all the usb included on that new intel Z390 chipset , blame microsoft and Intel for this end of support of windows 7.

20181027_152708.jpg

20181027_152045.jpg

Edited by chispy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, suzuki said:

You know you can make an acronis backup and post it over here,like this everyone can install that windows fully working in less than a minute.

I would like to do that but i'm certain it won't work because you will need the exact same pcie to usb expansion card , hence everyone needs to install the correct drivers for their usb expansion card. And my OS already have my legit W7 key installed on it on my Acronis back up image that i made for future re-installations.

This is the cheap pci-e to usb expansion card that i'm using on my windows 7 install  -

20181027_152721.jpg

Edited by chispy
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi.

I have a gigabbyte z390 UD mobo, 9700k cpu.  Tried to install win7 from USB and of course...had the same problem you guys do.

After reading many forums,  and trying a few options, I still could not get Win7 to install from USB.

Easiest solution for me was to burn win7 onto dvd and ensured it was bootable, using WinISO (there are many ways to create bootable win7 DVD's)

I had an old PS2 Keyboard and mouse from the old days, but keyboard is enough to get O.S installed.

Once O.S installed, I downloaded USB 3.1 drivers from here.....     https://www.win-raid.com/t4883f52-Solution-Win-drivers-for-USB-Controllers-of-new-Intel-chipset-systems.html

The password on the zip file is xiaofengmod.  I did direct Download....didnt bother with Yanex disk.

I then copied these drivers onto a DVD, using a different PC of course. 

I then booted into the Win 7 and ran the usb setup from the DVD .

I have not tested the speed of the usb ports, as this is not a gaming pc anyway.

So far so good (24hrs later)

Cheers

JJ

l

• 7 months later...

I know, old thread, but I do want to know if it's possible to install the Windows 7 drivers on the Z390 mainboard ( Aorus Ultra - Gigabyte )

Did anyone here managed to install all drivers + USB working, as well ?

Thank you

Do I need a keyboard and mouse PS2, right ?

And an PCIe adapter,as well...

If I knew I could do it, I'll buy all those

Edited by Skid_R

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 8/25/2019 at 1:07 AM, noizemaker said:

https://www.win-raid.com/t4883f52-Solution-Win-drivers-for-USB-Controllers-of-new-Intel-chipset-systems.html

there some signed drivers, managed to get usb 3.0 working on an Asus  z390 prime 

Do you have this file available? Unfortunately the link is no longer valid. I'm trying to create a custom iso for my x299 Dark. I downloaded both the AS MEDIA and INTEL drivers from the ASROCK site. I create the ISO with the drivers and the rest but when I go to do the installation it gives me the message that I am using a USB 3.0 and to try again with a USB 2.0. I did this test but unfortunately the problem persists so I started thinking that the problem is due to these drivers otherwise I don't understand where the error could be.

If you can help me figure this out I will never stop thanking you