HWBOT Community Forums

hwbot "classic" rev8

6 hours ago, NATA 58 said:

I only hope that users with normal cooling are not penalized yet

You are doing very well x2 gpu's :) These sli crossfire 3D benches should remain good points. Only thing lately interesting.

XTU ... members flogged this for points over the years, popularity waning finally

Picking up the 2x, 3x, 4x GPU globals situation - there are actually quite a few levels of multiway 3D benches, it's not the "2080ti everywhere" or "GPU doesn't matter" split that some people claim:

1. Truly "2.5D" - you just pick the right ancient card and keep it at stock (Aqua, 2001)
  2. Light 3D - older cards can do it easily with an ambient overclock ('03, '05, '06)
  3. Moderate 3D - have to pick the right card but then it's fast enough at ambient (Heaven Basic, Xtreme)
  4. Heavy 3D - May not scale all the way up to 4x 2080ti on LN2 but it  definitely needs modern hardware with subambient cooling (FS, Vantage, 11, TS)

This is much more nuanced than some people claim but it's still a gross generalisation! Especially for 2x setups the picture changes a lot because '03 for example becomes a heavy 3D bench. Even when talking strictly about 4x, it's not "just 2D" - drivers and LoD and all that good stuff from "real 3D" still applies and this alone makes it different from regular 2D.

Just because people don't bench it or understand it properly doesn't mean we should get rid of globals. BTW - globals scale with the number of results so doesn't this supposed problem take care of itself? "It's just 2D'" -> no one benches it -> globals stay low -> not enough pts for people to bench it. Just leave those of us who enjoy it alone! If it's such easy points, why don't more people grab those easy points? Because it's actually not as easy as people claim, that's why.

Edited by unityofsaints

21 minutes ago, unityofsaints said:

Picking up the 2x, 3x, 4x GPU globals situation - there are actually quite a few levels of multiway 3D benches, it's not the "2080ti everywhere" or "GPU doesn't matter" split that some people claim:

1. Truly "2.5D" - you just pick the right ancient card and keep it at stock (Aqua, 2001)
  2. Light 3D - older cards can do it easily with an ambient overclock ('03, '05, '06)
  3. Moderate 3D - have to pick the right card but then it's fast enough at ambient (Heaven Basic, Xtreme)
  4. Heavy 3D - May not scale all the way up to 4x 2080ti on LN2 but it  definitely needs modern hardware with subambient cooling (FS, Vantage, 11, TS)

This is much more nuanced than some people claim but it's still a gross generalisation! Especially for 2x setups the picture changes a lot because '03 for example becomes a heavy 3D bench. Even when talking strictly about 4x, it's not "just 2D" - drivers and LoD and all that good stuff from "real 3D" still applies and this alone makes it different from regular 2D.

Just because people don't bench it or understand it properly doesn't mean we should get rid of globals. BTW - globals scale with the number of results so doesn't this supposed problem take care of itself? "It's just 2D'" -> no one benches it -> globals stay low -> not enough pts for people to bench it. Just leave those of us who enjoy it alone! If it's such easy points, why don't more people grab those easy points? Because it's actually not as easy as people claim, that's why.

Although I DO admire your thoughtful approach, your patience and persistence, aren't you tired ? ( I am - a lot ).

The smile has long ago disappeared from my face. I feel it is like a crowd of thousands of people, without any direction, without any specific signs where to go.

And even if and when this whole "discussions and poles" issue comes to some kind of end, we will start all over talking AGAIN, in less than a year.

That ain't a hoby anymore.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ozzie said:

im tired of reading about it.....just get it done, 1 way or the other and lets get on with it.....till the next time lol

2 hours ago, Fasttrack said:

Although I DO admire your thoughtful approach, your patience and persistence, aren't you tired ? ( I am - a lot ).

I don't mind talking about the new rankings system for 2 or 3 weeks per year so it gets better. I spend 100 (or even 1000x?) more time benching per year than talking in this thread so for me it's a good investment. The expansion to 40 HWpts spots last year changed my benching in 2018 dramatically and I have no doubt it does for others too. The same will happen with Rev8 / 2019.

2 hours ago, unityofsaints said:

I don't mind talking about the new rankings system for 2 or 3 weeks per year so it gets better. I spend 100 (or even 1000x?) more time benching per year than talking in this thread so for me it's a good investment. The expansion to 40 HWpts spots last year changed my benching in 2018 dramatically and I have no doubt it does for others too. The same will happen with Rev8 / 2019.

its not all about YOU.....become a "saint".... get over it  and move on

• Haha 1

What's the cap on globals? Hardware pts are capped at 53.8, so if you had equal amounts of subs for both and both maxed, you get this:

https://uat.hwbot.org/user/splave#Points

Where globals points are insane.

Obviously it's harder to get a global 1st than hw 1st, but points wise it is easier to get globals if you just run LN2 on a decent chip. Rather than a gold chip needed for HW. (Talking about 2D here as 3D is more complicated.)

Quick approx of average 25 hwpts over 30 subs, gives 15-20 subs of average 50-40 globals pts to equal.

Idk, this is all opinion I guess. Shrug.

On 1/9/2019 at 10:59 AM, unityofsaints said:

I like your generalisation :D The money saving aspect & still able to get points. Old gpu's can cost a alot ie 8800 Ultra's. I know LoL importing them.

So the point were you collect vs volt mods LN2 ... I'll never risk it on the rare models. The old 3D benchmarks are far more interesting/ enjoyable 

Cpu benchmarks they just bore me :P

10 hours ago, richba5tard said:

You make "just run LN2 on a decent chip" sound like it's the same effort as updating videocard drivers. ? Insulating a motherboard, buying a pot, acquiring LN2, pouring and benchmarking at the same time under pressure is no walk in the park either.

Your Benching now, you'll get the "Bug" and we'll see your Ln2 subs.....YEAH! :)

Edited by techjesse

Main page is down, tried some specific also down.

How about you fix the servers first before changing revision? You have a bricked house foundation yet you are concerned of the cosmetics and lines, your try to fix these as the foundation keeps deterioration and overall your house still has limited usage and issues and eventually it will have no one living in it anymore

Edited by Alex@ro