HWBOT Community Forums

hwbot "classic" rev8

36 minutes ago, richba5tard said:

Any major remarks regarding rev8 now that we changed the algorithm to "sum top 30 globals + top 30 hardware submissions" instead of top 30 total points?

Too much quantity, too little quality. Who has time to do 30 good globals and 30 good hw subs per year? And who can do 10 comps in a year? Max 10 globals and 10 hw per year, and max 3 comps.

For career 30 hw is fine, but as globals are changing almost every year i think 30 subs for globals is too much even for career. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Rauf said:

Too much quantity, too little quality. Who has time to do 30 good globals and 30 good hw subs per year? And who can do 10 comps in a year? Max 10 globals and 10 hw per year, and max 3 comps.

For career 30 hw is fine, but as globals are changing almost every year i think 30 subs for globals is too much even for career. 

this is just common sense

• Like 1

Looking at the votes...for instance 50 hw submission in seasonal ranking... It seems hwbot always wants to promote spamming results. I thought overclocking was about PUSHING HW TO THE MAXIMUM. With rev 8 it will turn even more into rewarding users to run large amounts of hw at stock or just slightly overclocked. How do we promote actual overclocking by this? Tell a new user to spend one week optimizing OS, drivers, cooling etc and he gains 10 points. Another users buys 10 new pieces of hw and runs them at stock through all benchmarks - he gains a thousand points...good balance?

I really want to like and support hwbot, but with every new revision hwbot is killing itself more and more.

@richba5tard BTW, looking at the rankings I see several top results are missing since the rev 7 migration. Will you make sure this does not happen again? For example almost all of my single 1080 ti submissions are missing: FS, FSX, catzillas, 3Dmark11. I also see that results from Kingpin are missing so it is not isolated to me...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rauf said:

Looking at the votes...for instance 50 hw submission in seasonal ranking... It seems hwbot always wants to promote spamming results. I thought overclocking was about PUSHING HW TO THE MAXIMUM. With rev 8 it will turn even more into rewarding users to run large amounts of hw at stock or just slightly overclocked. How do we promote actual overclocking by this? Tell a new user to spend one week optimizing OS, drivers, cooling etc and he gains 10 points. Another users buys 10 new pieces of hw and runs them at stock through all benchmarks - he gains a thousand points...good balance?

I really want to like and support hwbot, but with every new revision hwbot is killing itself more and more.

@richba5tard BTW, looking at the rankings I see several top results are missing since the rev 7 migration. Will you make sure this does not happen again? For example almost all of my single 1080 ti submissions are missing: FS, FSX, catzillas, 3Dmark11. I also see that results from Kingpin are missing so it is not isolated to me...

It's not ok if the crew decides the limit and it's not ok if the community decides the limit. :P Can you give a concrete example where you can buy 10 new pieces of hardware and them a stock speed to gain thousands of points? No vague complaints please.

He's talking the odd processors or laptops with no bios OC features that run stock & make like 30 points in benches.

It was mentioned before BUT that member still makes the effort to setup & run bench. ie valid 

6 minutes ago, richba5tard said:

It's not ok if the crew decides the limit and it's not ok if the community decides the limit. :P Can you give a concrete example where you can buy 10 new pieces of hardware and them a stock speed to gain thousands of points? No vague complaints please.

If the limit is stupid it does not matter who decides it. Here is one example of a stock cooled VGA and a very easy OC of an air cooled CPU: https://uat.hwbot.org/submission/3557369_gorod_3dmark___fire_strike_geforce_gtx_1070_20223_marks

It gets 33 hw points. You can run the 1070 through all modern or semi-modern 3D and get around 30 points easy with all air/water and very small OC. For reference you can just check h20vsln2's profile to see what kind of good hw points you can get through an all air/water setup. 50x30 points = 1500 points total. And I did not say thousands, I said A thousand points. And this is just hw points. If you want to see good globals which are "easy" to get you just check the same user profile. The newest intel CPU and latest Titan will always get incredible globals even on stock cooling, but the fewer global subs that count, the less impact this has. 

For me the fewer results that give points the more you have to focus on quality of your subs and makes it less of a money game. Even if it always will be a money game, you can limit it as best you can.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, avalanche said:

He's talking the odd processors or laptops with no bios OC features that run stock & make like 30 points in benches.

It was mentioned before BUT that member still makes the effort to setup & run bench. ie valid 

There is this also. And ofc it is valid, but is this what hwbot is about? Spamming meaningless results?

4 minutes ago, Rauf said:

If the limit is stupid it does not matter who decides it. Here is one example of a stock cooled VGA and a very easy OC of an air cooled CPU: https://uat.hwbot.org/submission/3557369_gorod_3dmark___fire_strike_geforce_gtx_1070_20223_marks

It gets 33 hw points. You can run the 1070 through all modern or semi-modern 3D and get around 30 points easy with all air/water and very small OC

That's a bad example. All submissions with a 1070 which scored about the same use extreme cooling. This is not an example of unfair points, but of either a very good chip or a user which did not change the "stock cooling" default to the cooling he used.

LN2: https://uat.hwbot.org/submission/3578161_buildzoid_3dmark___fire_strike_geforce_gtx_1070_20612_marks/ 

Chilled water: https://uat.hwbot.org/submission/3929098_totalnet_3dmark___fire_strike_geforce_gtx_1070_20653_marks/

Dry ice: https://uat.hwbot.org/submission/3728863_shar00750_3dmark___fire_strike_geforce_gtx_1070_20220_marks/

7 minutes ago, Rauf said:

For me the fewer results that give points the more you have to focus on quality of your subs and makes it less of a money game. Even if it always will be a money game, you can limit it as best you can.

The more you limit the amount of submissions, the more money comes into play. Yet you suggest the opposite. What is more expensive? Using LN2 and top end cpu/memory/mobo to get the most out of your GTX 1070 for one benchmark, or using air/water and do 10 benchmarks with your GTX 1070? Obviously the latter is cheaper.

HWBOT has always been about the compromise between showing of world records which are crazy to achieve both in skill and money, and making it fun for the community who just wants to mess around with decent oc's and improved cooling. We don't benefit from excluding either party, but we can't make it ideal for both.

• Like 1