HWBOT Community Forums

hwbot "classic" rev8

12 hours ago, unityofsaints said:

Ok so you approach the problem of lack of participation in competitions... by further reducing the value of competitions! ? Why not just kill them at this point? "Unnecessary server load" and all that.

Are you participating in the competitions just for points? I think most do it either for the prize money (mf competitions) or for the fun (team / country cup / old school best school / etc).

You think too much Frederik... Same as you believe offline comps=online comps. Same as first place in a challenger competition for example would get 250 points similar to first place in level 1 live competition, let's say G.skill for example. winner of challenger buys a specific set of components then benches at home. Winner of g.skill does 1 qualifier where he has to be top6 ( buying stuff specific for this stage) then travels half of world , misses 1 week of work, benches 2 days then maybe he enters finals then another day of live benching . Quite a little bit different i would say. Strip away country cup or team cup comps, you really want to insult all the guys that benched for this, not for prizes but for fun, teamwork and points ofc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Crew

I would say a banner and points for is logic for the competitive online compos alike G.Skill and GALAX. I'm with George, the points attributed for winning and co should be a bit higher than eg a Challenger. It doesn't matter if they win 10K or not, the effort and dedication is a must even just to qualify...

I disagree that competition points are completely unrelated.  They are the result of a participation in our sport that is in addition to globals, hardware points and leagues.  In my opinion, competitions are a parallel participation that should have resulting points recognized along with the globals and hardware.

A banner for the winner doesn't provide incentive to participate to those of us who work hard to occasionally get into the top 15 of a competition.  I suggest that competition points be a component of Career ranking - say the best 10 or 15. 

• Like 2

Competition points can't be eliminated ( restricted to Team efforts ).

I have participated in lots of competitions in the past, where I was absolutely certain that there was no chance to win the prizes.

I had to buy HW in order to participate ( for the points ), and then lose money by reselling this HW.

Only LN2 benchers can win prizes. All the rest participate for points.

Remove points = no participation.

Furthermore, competitions are a vital part of HWBOT since spirit is kept high and there is a lot of interest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

2 hours ago, Alex@ro said:

You think too much Frederik... Same as you believe offline comps=online comps. Same as first place in a challenger competition for example would get 250 points similar to first place in level 1 live competition, let's say G.skill for example. winner of challenger buys a specific set of components then benches at home. Winner of g.skill does 1 qualifier where he has to be top6 ( buying stuff specific for this stage) then travels half of world , misses 1 week of work, benches 2 days then maybe he enters finals then another day of live benching . Quite a little bit different i would say. Strip away country cup or team cup comps, you really want to insult all the guys that benched for this, not for prizes but for fun, teamwork and points ofc. 

Alot of the above is one of the big reasons I suggested an Elite league that you'd have to qualify for and fight to keep your status as an Elite as I had said here: https://community.hwbot.org/topic/186845-should-we-simplify-the-leagues-in-2019-and-on-or-not/?do=findComment&comment=518965

By this if you decide to try and take a spot as an elite you already know what's involved and can commit to it or just lay back for a year if you want, then go for it again the next time. That's why I suggested it in the way I did, purely optional and no shame if you have to take a break from it then come back later for whatever reason. I'm not looking to cheapen the efforts of those already in the Elite league, instead to make it something that stands well apart from the rest.... And it should or the name Elite loses all meaning.

Elite only competitions with prizes for it and such can all be part of it too, it's really up to the guys running the show as to if and how it's done and as said it doesn't have to be done at all right away, could be something to setup for a later revision too.

15 minutes ago, Fasttrack said:

Competition points can't be eliminated ( restricted to Team efforts ).

I have participated in lots of competitions in the past, where I was absolutely certain that there was no chance to win the prizes.

I had to buy HW in order to participate ( for the points ), and then lose money by reselling this HW.

Only LN2 benchers can win prizes. All the rest participate for points.

Remove points = no participation.

Furthermore, competitions are a vital part of HWBOT since spirit is kept high and there is a lot of interest.

Agree to that. 

Except for manufacturer's competitions, all the other were bringing points. Best example would be DIVs where there is no price, but points. If points are off, so will be the participants.

I see no fun in benching a Ryzen 5 on LN2 just to win DIV V (or whatever one). It is just waste of time and money, if no competition points are involved, because the ryzen 5 doesn't bring globals or hw points.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, richba5tard said:

Are you participating in the competitions just for points? I think most do it either for the prize money (mf competitions) or for the fun (team / country cup / old school best school / etc).

Yes, for points. Expecting people to do CC / TC "just for fun" is a little too much to ask, I would definitely think twice about them if there were no points because they cut so much into your regular benching time (which gives points).

1 hour ago, richba5tard said:

I agree it's a lot of effort put in by overclockers to join online competitions, I just think points is not the way to reward them for their effort. Eg a banner on their profile page saying he won a specific competition is IMHO much more appropriate.

This is more effort to design the banner and change it ever year etc. and tbh I don't think people care too much about their profiles. World ranking (soon to be called "Career Ranking") is much more tangible.

• Like 3

• Members

When I said unrelated I meant the points given. Winning 50pts for a comp is a number pulled out of thin air which goes against how other points are calculated in my opinion.

Removing points completely from comps, non Manu ones, would kill them. (And team/country as I don't think they'd be fine)

Manu comps are done for prizes more than points in my opinion.

Edited by GeorgeStorm

3 hours ago, GeorgeStorm said:

When I said unrelated I meant the points given. Winning 50pts for a comp is a number pulled out of thin air which goes against how other points are calculated in my opinion.

The degree of participation in a comp increases with the no. of points awarded so I don't see it as a problem, at the same time if comps were to give a flat no. of pts multipled by the no. of stages that would work fine too imo. 

Edited by unityofsaints

lets not forget, all the big boys competed in comps to gain points which allowed the sponsors to recruit them, they watched the points and comps, saw who the winners were from it, which in turn has made BOT,  a lot of other competitors from all over the world , points is all you, they get for all the time , effort, money for a comp and  for points

if you abolish points for comps..... make sure you have BOTS  coffin made and ready .....oh  and would be nice to know if it will be a burial or cremated.........some people have religious beliefs about that stuff ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/4/2018 at 2:42 PM, richba5tard said:

Tweaked the rev0 'classic' design and adjusted the user profile points section to reflect the career & season points on uat server. Next up: team pages.

Screen Shot 2018-11-04 at 13.40.00.png

Just noticed it uses the exact same colors and some of the styles of other elements from my custom user style on the current production server (rev 7). Logo on my current page is broken, must have been changed in some of the incremental updates, but everything else is still in tact. :)

https://hwbot.org/user/i.nfrar.ed/

I want 50% of the revenue transferred to my bank account :D 

rev7.png

Edited by I.nfraR.ed
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sockets POINTs

I want to offer to give extra points or medals or something else for the best performance on the each CPU SOCKET. In all processor tests. No difference is Socket7, 478, or 2066, if an overclocker won 1st place in Super Pi, CPU-Z or Cinebench, why not encourage it? For all other overclockers, this will also be an incentive to take exactly the first place because it will give, besides the usual points,  more and more advantages. Add a fixed amount of points (20-30-50) for all processor tests for the first place. What do you think about this?

• Like 5

1 hour ago, max1024 said:

Sockets POINTs

I want to offer to give extra points or medals or something else for the best performance on the each CPU SOCKET. In all processor tests. No difference is Socket7, 478, or 2066, if an overclocker won 1st place in Super Pi, CPU-Z or Cinebench, why not encourage it? For all other overclockers, this will also be an incentive to take exactly the first place because it will give, besides the usual points,  more and more advantages. Add a fixed amount of points (20-30-50) for all processor tests for the first place. What do you think about this?

And please include odd stuff like BCLK in that :D