HWBOT Community Forums

hwbot "classic" rev8

2 hours ago, avalanche said:

It's always been about doing the best with what you have. The warp9 team does that.

This.

I know i have no voice here plus i lack the knowledge to help Frederick, but one thing i know: the way team points team rankings  will be in rev.8 more people will abandon this ship. Please take this words that i'm writing in consideration before moving to rev.8.

@richba5tard Frederick i can imagine how busy your life is, i have "only" two small kids here to spend time and money  + job + wife attention + second graduation + family, not easy i know, but even with all this i'm able to find some time to do my only hobby: overclock, from 386sx to z270, i love this, and i really want to keep doing it here with Hwbot.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

45 minutes ago, Casanova said:

This.

I know i have no voice here plus i lack the knowledge to help Frederick, but one thing i know: the way team points team rankings  will be in rev.8 more people will abandon this ship. Please take this words that i'm writing in consideration before moving to rev.8.

@richba5tard Frederick i can imagine how busy your life is, i have "only" two small kids here to spend time and money  + job + wife attention + second graduation + family, not easy i know, but even with all this i'm able to find some time to do my only hobby: overclock, from 386sx to z270, i love this, and i really want to keep doing it here with Hwbot.

My FRIEND, you said it ALL.

THANK YOU. THAT IS THE SPIRIT. AAA+++

• Like 9

5 hours ago, richba5tard said:

The TPP is a drain on resources and maintenance, but if the concept is loved I'd consider maintaining it. The big drawback(imho) is that it is quite static but so be it.

It is static because very few put the time in. Can't have a team or person thats active for more than 10 years tossed to the side by little Jonny and his gaming rig that throws a half a dozen subs in and disappears forever. You don't need to reward new members like that.

Noobs have to put their time in to see themselves rise the ladder. That's how it works in every aspect of life...........unless you're a millennial.

They have the competitions for instant gratification if thats what they desire.

Edited by Mr.Scott
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, richba5tard said:

The TPP is a drain on resources and maintenance, but if the concept is loved I'd consider maintaining it. The big drawback(imho) is that it is quite static but so be it.

TPP was loved the second it was implemented. You should consider maintaining it. It's a good deal for teams of people. 

Any how Fredric, Have a good Thanksgiving and Holiday season. I haven't much more to voice. Hoping this new Rev works for everyone which will be impossible. But at least you're trying and put this out there for people to try and understand. Me, I'll be back at W9 and concentrating on our goodness at the home site. Will be looking to build a sA system for the at home comp now that I got my IDE drive is wiped (the only one I have left in good working order)  clean and see if I can't get a decent percentage OC and just have a blast doing it.  Again all are invited.

One thing I did miss years ago.... I was able to upload my CPU de-lid pictures for that particular CPU avatar. Wish I could do that again lol. Here's an example. http://hwbot.org/hardware/processor/phenom_ii_x4_965_be/

Yea... the good old days. 

• Like 4

• Members

I would think having Team and Country rankings using the same logic makes sense.

But I still don't really see the issue with slight differences between career and season individual ranking, I've managed to explain the current/previous ranking to my parents who have 0 interest and they seemed to understand, can't be that complicated :P

• Thanks 1

Even a 10 year old kid with average IQ should be able to understand this Frederic :)

Personally, being a "marathon" athlete, I prefer to concentrate on what I have achieved in the long run. But that is just me.

As for Team rankings, IF I understood correctly, the "long run" effort will represent the ranking of the Team.

Looks very reasonable :)

1 minute ago, Fasttrack said:

Even a 10 year old kid with average IQ should be able to understand this Frederic :)

Personally, being a "marathon" athlete, I prefer to concentrate on what I have achieved in the long run. But that is just me.

As for Team rankings, IF I understood correctly, the "long run" effort will represent the ranking of the Team.

Looks very reasonable :)

Hmm, currently the team points = sum TPP + 1/10th of seasonal member points. Change it to 1/10th of career member points? Maybe makes more sense. I don't really care. :)

• Like 2

• Members
32 minutes ago, richba5tard said:

How difficult is it to explain "this is what you achieved this year" and "this is what you achieved since the beginning"? :P

I meant there's no need to simplify, by which you massively reduce the importance of hwpoints as people have pointed out :P

If you're set on going this direction, then I feel you really need to reduce the value of globals to be closer to hw points.

59 minutes ago, richba5tard said:

Hmm, currently the team points = sum TPP + 1/10th of seasonal member points. Change it to 1/10th of career member points? Maybe makes more sense. I don't really care. :)

We all know " the members " that you are trying to make a good HWbot system. RB we have grown used to the Rev7 now. It's a good thing to know what to expect :)

Small changes please if you must try make something better. BIG changes puts us all in a spin

I don't understand this stuff you are forced to do RB. Some guys do though.

One thing I have always noticed. It's easy to criticize rather than praise. That pisses me off when you try your best. >:(

Best advice ... take your time. You'll work it out.

_________

You cop a lot of crap  ... it's not helpful. There are thousands of members " that just watch what's going on " we do it for them. Hardware submitting scores 

2 hours ago, richba5tard said:

Frederic, IMHO ( again, that is just me thinking ), career is more representative of what an individual or/and Team do.

Seasonal is a welcome change and might indeed trigger interest for new members to "give it a shot" and see how it goes.

Old members ( I suppose ) want to be able to see and compare their existing career position ( the Big Picture ) to what others have achieved in the long run and try to improve

and work on that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, richba5tard said:

Yes changing team points to TPP + 1/10 career member points sounds good.

Is the first post updated to show everything that you are thinking Frederick?

Its looking OK.:)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, richba5tard said:

Probably makes more sense, thinking about it.  Otherwise people who have got top scores in the past are at a huge disadvantage not because they're less active now, but because they can't get points for scores this year when they already got a better score last year (unless people sandbag...).

This actually seems like it may be a problem for seasonal rankings in general.  Say me and nachtfalke both posted a fairly low-effort HD 4890 vantage score of 16K, probably not too difficult on modern physics platforms, I'd get 5 seasonal points but nachtfalke would get 0 because he already made an amazing score on cascade in 2016 - that doesn't seem fair.

Some kind of dynamic ranking would be good though.  Maybe a "champion's ranking" based on globals + recent competitions?

2 minutes ago, mickulty said:

Probably makes more sense, thinking about it.  Otherwise people who have got top scores in the past are at a huge disadvantage not because they're less active now, but because they can't get points for scores this year when they already got a better score last year (unless people sandbag...).

This actually seems like it may be a problem for seasonal rankings in general.  Say me and nachtfalke both posted a fairly low-effort HD 4890 vantage score of 16K, probably not too difficult on modern physics platforms, I'd get 5 seasonal points but nachtfalke would get 0 because he already made an amazing score on cascade in 2016 - that doesn't seem fair.

Some kind of dynamic ranking would be good though.  Maybe a "champion's ranking" based on globals + recent competitions?

It does count for his career though. It does not count for what he achieved this year. Seems ok to me. :)

• Like 1

• Members
1 minute ago, richba5tard said:

It does count for his career though. It does not count for what he achieved this year. Seems ok to me. :)

I think the potential issue would be in the (very unlikely) situation that user a has 10 old records, and user b subs 10 new 2nd place scores, user a could sub 10 scores that were all better than user b's, but not quite better than their old scores, and they would get nothing whilst user b would get everything. And whilst this isn't an issue in one way, it doesn't represent how 'good' someone is doing in a season type thing, as they're always being compared to their best, whereas in a normal seasonal ranking, you're just compared to others in that season I would think?

• Thanks 1

Just now, GeorgeStorm said:

I think the potential issue would be in the (very unlikely) situation that user a has 10 old records, and user b subs 10 new 2nd place scores, user a could sub 10 scores that were all better than user b's, but not quite better than their old scores, and they would get nothing whilst user b would get everything. And whilst this isn't an issue in one way, it doesn't represent how 'good' someone is doing in a season type thing, as they're always being compared to their best, whereas in a normal seasonal ranking, you're just compared to others in that season I would think?

Yes, as in any sport! You are always comparing to those who participate in that season.