HWBOT Community Forums

hwbot "classic" rev8

8 minutes ago, mickulty said:

But if he achieved even 20,000 on the same hardware this year it wouldn't count because he got 20,630 in 2016?  Or am I missing something?

I see your point. It would indeed only count if you break your previous record. To have this make more sense a seasonal league should also be restricted to recent (eg past 2/3 years) hardware.

• Like 3

• Members
32 minutes ago, richba5tard said:

Yes, as in any sport! You are always comparing to those who participate in that season.

The point of the example was the idea that it wouldn't work like that :P

That since User A had better scores in the past, he would get nothing despite beating User B this 'season; :P

Edited by GeorgeStorm

36 minutes ago, GeorgeStorm said:

The point of the example was the idea that it wouldn't work like that :P

That since User A had better scores in the past, he would get nothing despite beating User B this 'season; :P

One can argue if you did the 100m sprint in 8 sec last year, but did it in 9 sec this year, you are not better than someone who did it in 8.5 sec this year. :)

I know the comparison does not fully make sense, but still a topic that can be discussed.

• Members
1 minute ago, richba5tard said:

One can argue if you did the 100m sprint in 8 sec last year, but did it in 9 sec this year, you are not better than someone who did it in 8.5 sec this year. :)

I know the comparison does not fully make sense, but still a topic that can be discussed.

True, but the argument I was saying was if you ran it 8.2 this year, you beat them, but since you didn't beat your best ever it wouldn't count?

Unless I'm misunderstanding how the points would be calculated in which case ignore me :D

Frederic, IF I have understood correctly the deeper "issues' of the complex code ( which, as stated have reached a point of being managed with difficulty ),

I am trying to figure out in my mind, this proposal for carrier-seasonal upgrade.

Call me stupid ( have no idea of code writing ), but wouldn't such a move perplex issues more ? ( always speaking about code simplification and management ).

Yes, indeed understood that you wish to provide some "fresh air" and interest in rankings, but is it really a top priority for NOW ?

Why don't we move less "aggressively" in changes, reach a stable-manageable status in a couple of months and then pick it up from there and go to the next step ( whatever that is ).

Just speaking my mind :)

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, GeorgeStorm said:

True, but the argument I was saying was if you ran it 8.2 this year, you beat them, but since you didn't beat your best ever it wouldn't count?

Unless I'm misunderstanding how the points would be calculated in which case ignore me :D

That's how it works now? Don't think there would be any change there. You can't beat your own score, then you can't move up. Save last years sandbag score for next year. It's not that hard.

Want to simplify code and decrease server load, and at the same time decrease load on your poor already short staff?

2  Leagues

Pro/Sponsored

Everybody else

Stop with the silly leagues by cooling method in which temperature can't be proven anyway.

Want to move up the ranks? Move up your game. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Edited by Mr.Scott
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

I'd like to be in the everybody else League!!! Pick me Pick me!! 

Is everybody else league just a nicer way to put poor broke looser? 

On a serious note, I'd be happy to be in a lower class league or non sponsored league, still make points for myself and team, and also be able to "watch" the pro league.

So Pro League could be a yearly Team Ranking for top rank while maintaining the All time Teams Ranking. 

Boys bench the biggest hardware from each team, there's your winning team for that season. Yes. Hhmm that could work.

Cut out leagues by temp could be ok too, maybe not even a bad idea. However it was implemented because of complaints of ranking while it seemed unfair that not everyone can get LN2 for example, it was tried and it stuck. Ya.. Get rid of it. There's an AirGas in every major city. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Cut out leagues by temp could be ok too, maybe not even a bad idea. However it was implemented because of complaints of ranking while it seemed unfair that not everyone can get LN2 for example, it was tried and it stuck. Ya.. Get rid of it. There's an AirGas in every major city. 

While I do agree with everything else, I do have to point out one thing:  Just because there happens to be a supplier in a nearby city (as not all of us live in a big city, let alone near one) there's no guarantee that pricing will actually be viable.  A 35L dewar costs over $225 CAD to fill where I live, and that's not including the $600+ CAD (if you purchased brand new) it would cost to acquire said dewar, or the enviro and hazard fees that get tacked on afterwards onto every LN2 purchase.  Sure, you can get it cheaper if you look around (or have a friend that's willing to let you use their "I work or am studying in a research area at a university/college" discount, which would bring it down to, uhm, $35-45 for said dewar to be filled), but that's no guarantee.  Even buttering up the sales guys (or managers who can authorize cheaper pricing!) brings that same dewar down to a still not affordable at all price that's over $150.

For those wondering why those prices seem so high, the $225 level is assuming $6.50/L, which is a regularly quoted price, the $150 level is at $4.50/L.  LN2 in Canada isn't cheap, even if you "know someone"...  And depending on the platform you're running (or if you're doing 3D), you're looking at only a few hours of fun before it all runs out.

I also recall reading something about a bencher in Columbia (or was it Chile?) that was only able to do LN2 benching because they were sponsored, and their sponsor (Corsair I think it was?) paid for the liquid nitrogen.

Dry ice is something that's almost always significantly cheaper, chills things fairly well, and best of all...  In a LOT of areas it's $30-40 for a full weekend of fun, assuming you have a decent cooler for it.  The cooler I put about $45 CAD into (a cheap 45 or so quart Rubbermaid, with two layers of 1" solid insulation board in it) will hold dry ice that was picked up early afternoon Friday as solid carbon dioxide until Monday morning...  Lasting about 25-30 hours of actual benching on LGA 775, and about ten hours or so of benching a 3770k, with enough left over for a short 2-3 hour LGA 775 session the next day.

...Most countries it isn't a dangerous good with specific transport requirements either, unless you buy a full 500lb bin full of the stuff....

Any particular reason the country rankings are still by calendar year on UAT?  Those of us who've spent quite some time working on getting good decent scores and improving miiiight find it slightly problematic/disheartening to put all that time and effort in and then lose it all, thereby making it feel relatively pointless...

Also, on UAT, if you go into the Country Rankings and hit previous two things happen...It moves/scrolls you back up to the top of the page, and then absolutely nothing happens.  Trying to look at other pages on the country rankings by using the previous/next arrows does nothing.

so now im off the post ban frederic, do i get an answer ?, it was a simple question that i guess you didnt like much,

why is rev 8 even needed, can you not sort rev 7 out ?, if no then why? you arranged it and put it in place, im well aware that you were left with a mess from massman, and others, thinking all is good, and im not trying to make that mess any bigger, im not a dickhead mate, dont treat me like them

if you ask me a question ill answer you honestly, i expect the same back from you or anyone else, not hard is it??

i know youve been bombbarded  with lots from everyone, but, might pay to step out of the box for a bit and take a look from others that may just  know a little more than you do ?

Edited by ozzie
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, ozzie said:

why is rev 8 even needed, can you not sort rev 7 out ?, if no then why? you arranged it and put it in place, im well aware that you were left with a mess from massman, and others, thinking all is good, and im not trying to make that mess any bigger, im not a dickhead mate, dont treat me like them

Hi ozzie,

The reason has been posted multiple times in this topic. TLDR; it's too complex for me to maintain with the limited resources we have. 685.000 lines of code written in the span of 14 years is no joke to maintain. Not that rev8 suddenly makes this a walk in the park, but it's a move in the right direction. Both for me, as for new overclockers for which the concepts are overwhelming.

The current rev8 proposal (first post) is not a drastic change from rev7. It (mostly) removes the oc-esports rankings - which no one cares about anyway, and introduces seasonal rankings which some like and some not. If you don't like it, don't watch it. :)

hey fred

funny isnt it, takes you to ban me from posting to reply to me for the same question  asked from the start, im going to tell you this now fred, i dont take lightly to foolish comments or actions from anyone, and i dont say what i say for pure internet amusement , i say what i say as the past has been a disaster in many ways, you and i and all others know that too, but weve stuck with you with it, rev 7 and its faults are becoz of your fault and what you were left but you programmed it , and im being blunt here ,no need for  8, but you couldnt  fix it, as things are, go back to basics mate, i dont wanna get into it with you on here, i reckon pm is the best go...agreeable ??, my reasons are simple really ....have some ideas..up to you

cheers shane

Edited by ozzie

@ozzie i didn't ban you from asking a question, i temp banned you for a few days to cool down after being inappropriate. I don't host this forum to get scowled at. I'm not going to spend any more time answering the same question over and over.

@bigblock990 thanks for noticing, fixed. I find your suggestion very reasonable not to make competition points count for career rankings. All in favor?

• Members
3 minutes ago, richba5tard said:

@bigblock990 thanks for noticing, fixed. I find your suggestion very reasonable not to make competition points count for career rankings. All in favor?

I swear that idea has been put forward multiple times in this thread :P

But yes please.

Edited by GeorgeStorm

On 11/21/2018 at 12:39 PM, richba5tard said:

If we have an easier algorithm to maintain, i can actually spend some time polishing other parts of HWBOT. Please keep this on topic, not bug reports of unrelated stuff. 

thanks,i knew that nobody was interested by that

Edited by Remarc