HWBOT Community Forums

hwbot "classic" rev8

What if we used the already existing competition points for the seasonal ranking? those already expire and you are not competing against old scores, for me at least the competitions has been one of the main thing keeping me interested and forcing me to get into new hardware. For this to be possible we would however need to focus even more on making good competitions covering a broad range of hardware to keep every one happy :)

bigblock990..LOL

We need a new "Rev."! Every time I post a new sub with a better score, my old score get the points removed and my new score points are not added!!!! The Bot needs to be updated!

This whole thing is about NUMBERS...

Edited by techjesse
spelling

14 hours ago, richba5tard said:

What would be the impact of inactivity? No member points nor league points? What is inactivity? No submissions or not visiting HWBOT?

IMO, inactivity is no submissions.

I'm only speaking from a team standpoint, meaning no TPP from an inactive team member. Example: there are teams of over a thousand members that still rank very high in team standings even though there are less than a dozen "active" members still subbing. They maintain their team rank based on just the sheer amount of deadwood members. Remove the TPP from the deadwood and use only the active members and you have a much clearer outlook on how the team league stacks up.

In theory this should reduce the load on your server also because you won't have to calc any deadwood until they sub and are no longer deadwood.

It should also impact your 'stagnation' factor in the teams league.

Edited by Mr.Scott
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Folks,

Does anyone REALLY believe that there are 204.959 Enthusiast members active ?

Yes, I understand that from a marketing point of view, any new visitor here that thinks to join, says WOW.

Truth though is so far-far away. I strongly doubt that there are no more than 15.000 active members in TOTAL, league irrelevant. And this is an extremely optimistic number.

For example : An individual comes in here 10-5-3 years ago, submits 5-10-20 scores and never returns.

All these stay in the database and are taken into account every single time a re-calculation happens.

What is the meaning of retaining all these in the database ?

Even Windows OS, has an option " delete old files " - " free up disk space " - " Defragment "

My understanding is that this is a rational approach, easy to apply and does not hurt anyone. Not even the "marketing point of view".

Registered users is one thing - benching members is another.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Fasttrack
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Fasttrack said:

What is the meaning of retaining all these in the database ? 

The more results there are in a category, the more points someone gets for first. This is a ranking site - points matter. Otherwise why not delete all except gold for 4700K /6700K / 7700K / 8700K submissions? 9900K is faster.

Edited by unityofsaints

9 hours ago, Mr.Scott said:

I'm only speaking from a team standpoint, meaning no TPP from an inactive team member. Example: there are teams of over a thousand members that still rank very high in team standings even though there are less than a dozen "active" members still subbing. They maintain their team rank based on just the sheer amount of deadwood members. Remove the TPP from the deadwood and use only the active members and you have a much clearer outlook on how the team league stacks up.

In theory this should reduce the load on your server also because you won't have to calc any deadwood until they sub and are no longer deadwood.

I think this is an interesting idea. Why limit it to teams though? Why not base member & country rankings too on active members. They can't complain, otherwise they would be active. :)

Computation wise it would not be that big a difference though, because the submissions of inactive members would still impact the rankings.

11 minutes ago, speed.fastest said:

What valuable on HWBot is database, i think you will lose more with auto removing older database. I dont agree on removing older database of inactive member.

We are not talking about removing it from the ranking, nor from stripping points from the old submissions. What is under discussion is whether inactive members should receive member points / have an impact on team and country ranking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

11 hours ago, Mr.Scott said:

Scott

If an old team member , with a 10 year old sub , is still best of it's class ... (today's team benchers cant even come close to his scores) , no TPP ???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richba5tard said:

We are not talking about removing it from the ranking, nor from stripping points from the old submissions. What is under discussion is whether inactive members should receive member points / have an impact on team and country ranking.

We can also pretend , that OC LEGENDS of the past .... were never here !!!

Lets delete them all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, richba5tard said:

Well, the legends would not mind as they are not active. ;) To be serious, if we had seasonal leagues since day one legends would never fade.

No comment.

You just wrote history.

I really hope it was a bad expression in English language ... or a bad moment.

3 hours ago, richba5tard said:

Well, the legends would not mind as they are not active. ;) To be serious, if we had seasonal leagues since day one legends would never fade.

History can't be wiped not even by God.

There is no book, document, database, records in written form or digital form, for ANYTHING in this world that can be wiped or deleted or ignored.

From medicine, to pioneers at any field, to NASA astronauts that went to the moon, to ANYTHING.

Unless a lunatic drops a nuclear bomb ( or more ) and everything is physically destroyed.

We must be EXTREMELY careful on this.

7 hours ago, TASOS said:

No comment.

You just wrote history.

I really hope it was a bad expression in English language ... or a bad moment.

Please explain because i'm a bit slow.

If we had seasonal leagues since day one, you could see a legendary overclocker would take a top spot every year he was active. That's awesome. But in rev7 his legacy slowly declines as every year his records are beaten, and he has less and less points.

31 minutes ago, richba5tard said:

Please explain because i'm a bit slow.

Well, the legends would not mind as they are not active.  To be serious ...

You are asking me to explain , why your phrase (expression) was totally wrong from the moment you started typing ?

I do not wish to do this in public.