HWBOT Community Forums

hwbot "classic" rev8

• Crew
36 minutes ago, richba5tard said:

Team points = sum of member points.

Oh, so no team contribution (HW power points), now I see. I think we should take a second thought here if possible. Teams that bench a lot of hardware will drop down whereas high-end will benefit most. For now it's the only questionable thing to me.

37 minutes ago, richba5tard said:

Maybe remove the once which are too db hungry?

I think we need to see the list. And another thing that's linked to achievements. Remember Pieters statistics with hardware hall of fame? I mean these:

Would be very nice to see them alive too. Say an update twice a month is sufficient, maybe even once a month. If the consuming achievements are hardware ones, we could replace them bringing back Hall of fame since they are alike.
Point is - I would like to see both achievements and HoF so let's discuss which ones are consuming and think a way out.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Antinomy said:

Oh, so no team contribution (HW power points), now I see. I think we should take a second thought here if possible. Teams that bench a lot of hardware will drop down whereas high-end will benefit most. For now it's the only questionable thing to me.

I'm not saying the power points where a bad idea, but it was complex both to explain as to implement/maintain/compute. Easy explainable rankings and simplicity should be key in rev0.

So, imho ranking look good. The aspiration to use less computation power and simplify the rankings is achieved. Seasonal rankings in addition to all time rankings will cause a ripple in the community but i'm pushing this forward. No other sport has only all time rankings.

Shall I start polishing the code and labels so we can give the rev0 a public test run?

• Crew

For the yearly vs all time ranking.

Having a system similar as the Mileage like frequent flyer. an All-time points + a range of point gathered in the past 12months or so.

You keep the traction for benching, you do not loose everything after the period is over.

my 2 cents.

My extra 50cents :

- Drop all the benchmarks that are unreliable. 

- Add more of the 3DMark test

- If you give point to any benchmarks - it will be chaos

• Crew
On 10/31/2018 at 10:33 AM, Antinomy said:

Would be very nice to see them alive too. Say an update twice a month is sufficient, maybe even once a month. If the consuming achievements are hardware ones, we could replace them bringing back Hall of fame since they are alike.
Point is - I would like to see both achievements and HoF so let's discuss which ones are consuming and think a way out.

+1

Would be very very cool to have this on the regular page instead hidden in the forums.

I think this should be possible without too much problems, I mean I can search for SuperPi results for Socket 478 too and those get sorted by the best result. Why shouldnt it be possible to create a page for this?

• Thanks 1

• Crew

This all looks very promising, great job!
Some small additions:

Im not a big fan of the 50% cliff for the hardware points. I often see very weird rankings because of this. And its not good to build up rankings because user on air have no motivation to post results once a LN2 score got uploaded.
If we want too keep the cliff I have the following ideas (not sure how hard it would be to implement):

1. To feed the ranking with results, award the first 25 results always with points regardless of 50%. If possible visualize those 25 places with another color or something else so people get the idea.

2. Draw a red line or something in the ranking page to illustrate where the cliff begins (So people know why place 36 get points while place 37 doesnt).

3. Calculate 50% of the current first place and show the number in the ranking page so people know which score they have to beat to get points.

1 hour ago, Strunkenbold said:

This all looks very promising, great job!
Some small additions:

Im not a big fan of the 50% cliff for the hardware points. I often see very weird rankings because of this. And its not good to build up rankings because user on air have no motivation to post results once a LN2 score got uploaded.

It's 50% for global and 75% for hardware currently. Or are we talking about something else.

Any touching to the point algorithm itself means a full recalc needs to occur, which is messy and takes a lot of time. So I'd like to avoid it if possible.

• Crew
20 hours ago, richba5tard said:

It's 50% for global and 75% for hardware currently. Or are we talking about something else.

Any touching to the point algorithm itself means a full recalc needs to occur, which is messy and takes a lot of time. So I'd like to avoid it if possible.

hmm and I thought changing the point algorithm to something better understandable and simpler is all about this new rev...

I mean, I understand that you have to keep those percentages for lower server load but I think the biggest problem of the current rev are strange and broken rankings. 

Youre right, I was wrong about the percentages, mixing hardware and global, but IMO the percentages should be really reverse.
50% for the globals, means like 4Ghz scores get global points where the 75% cliff for hardware points makes Air and Water benchers unhappy...

• Crew
On 11/6/2018 at 12:03 PM, richba5tard said:

Simplify the rankings and how the points you get for a submission contributes to your personal/team/country total is the goal. The actual algorithm of how many points are awarded for a specific submission is less of a factor. IMHO 

Okay misunderstood the focus then. 

As no one replied after your RFC, I should say that it was just my personal impression that we should make the point algorithm easier.
As I thought that the many broken rankings are because of this too complex algorithm.
My personal motivation has been always the points I got in a ranking. I never cared too much about my ranking in a league. So thats the reason my focus seems to be different from the other guys.

If rankings could get fixed and work more reliably, plus the socket ranking pages, I would be very satisfied. :)

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Strunkenbold said:

Okay misunderstood the focus then. 

As no one replied after your RFC, I should say that it was just my personal impression that we should make the point algorithm easier.
As I thought that the many broken rankings are because of this too complex algorithm.
My personal motivation has been always the points I got in a ranking. I never cared too much about my ranking in a league. So thats the reason my focus seems to be different from the other guys.

If rankings could get fixed and work more reliably, plus the socket ranking pages, I would be very satisfied. :)

Well, reducing the complexity of the algorithm (remove team power points, competitions points, different selection of which points matter for which kind of member points, etc) makes it easier to test the whole thing and make more robust and reliable.

The exact mathematic algorithm which decides how many points a specific submission is worth is not the cause of complaints, but it should not be bugged that often. :)

• Crew

I'll give some feedback with some suggestions after talking with a whatsapp group of overclockers I've got with all different skill levels.

• Current league structure is good
  • Anything based on a time period is a bad idea, I understand you want to encourage users to bench and keep using the site, but if someone takes all the records and 18 months later they still hold them all, they shouldn't be penalized for not benching
  • For the top 'omg highest tier ranking' competition points shouldn't come into it at all. Do a competition league if you want and have them in the overclocking leagues, but not the world ranking. If you did do a competition league, this is where you could apply yearly or bi-yearly schedule of dropping off points, so you do need to be active to rule this league.
  • For the world ranking, world records should be king, in previous rev's you could be #1 just by holding the world records.
  • Consider reducing the amount of benchmarks with global points, we dont need fs fse fsu, pick 1, catzilla pick 1.
  • Restore 06, top 3 benchmark of all time, extremely difficult with CPU test in the middle of it, i know you gotta remove some benchmarks, but 06 isn't the one and Heaven was a sad choice to remove also, another great benchmark.