HWBOT Community Forums

hwbot "classic" rev8

The so called "Team" rankings in the proposed revision is pretty much pointless if it is going to rely on the same ranking scheme. As it is now there is incentive to bench anything and everything since points are awarded separately best team scores. New Rev. will obliterate that incentive and make the very concept of Teams worthless.

VOTE NO

• Thanks 1

Gah. I get it. Simplify the algorithm. Cut the database points in half. Points are good. Need points. 

I mean, I don't have a lot of points. Been here since day 1 though. 

Am I gonna lose a lot of points? Sure hope not.

Would hope any changes to this place would be in favor of the public, to ALL members. 

With this new revision, I hope to see a jump in points in my favor for a change. Each revision has cost me points in some way.

• Like 1

you blokes are gluttons for self punishment arent yas, not long ago did yas Rev 7, how'd that go for yas?, how long did ya take to fix all the stuff ups with rev 7? now yas wanna bung on a Rev 8 , what a year later, took ya over 6 mths from "the rev update" to iron out rev 7 bugs for the data base and what ever comp and the damage and frustration it caused you lot there and everyone else   lol, ?jesus wept

• Like 1

Team points rankings:

• Sum member points current year

• There's the buzz kill. Any points done in the past prior to previous year is null and void. Your team is based off points for that current year.  

Achievements:
    TBD, good concept but takes too much computational power?

• Too much computational power? Overclock the goddamned server for ducks sake. lol. No but seriously, perhaps move the database to newer server hardware and shop for better pricing maybe? 
  • Is HWBot hurting for cash. I saw some thread about paying to lvl up your points or something. I sit in the midwest. Perhaps put up some billboard advertisements and hold some events outside the usual boxes. 

oc-esports.io

Rankings scrapped, only to be used for read only view of schedule and the competition/stage pages.

Thoughts?

Scrap the points, scrap the whole thing. why hang onto it? read only view will use computational power. 

•  
    • More focus on medals, a bit less on points.

OK so why change points. Make the medals easier to come by. Like adding some in!! 

• Platnum

• Diamond

• Gold

• Silver and so on......

Just some ideas.

1 minute ago, cbjaust said:

As for the Team Points being the sum of points for the current year, won't that lead to gaming the system by rebenching all of your hardware that gets the best scores every year plus what ever new hardware benched that gets a good score?

Well you just save last years screen shot and bench your new hardware and all set up! 

I still have all or most of all my benchmark pictures. I saved them before uploading to bot. :D

Edited by ShrimpBrime
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, FireKillerGR said:

Adapting focus to new revision takes time (for all). 
Figuring out what works and what doesn't can't be defined since point 0 as issues will come on the way.
So I am asking, why are we changing revisions annually when the current one was  already designed to be lighter and save $?
Goal is to have 2018 income with 2006 expenses?

Also with competition points having no expiration date what happens if G.skill and Galax stop organizing their events?

Goal is to have 2006 complexity in rankings. I suspect there are only a handful of people understanding how the rankings work. Each ranking has it's own logic (especially those based on competition points and team power points).

In rev8, ALL rankings (except the hardware/global/mobile masters) are based on member points, which is top 30 submissions + top 10 competition entries.

Good point if we stop with user competitions. It levels the playing field for the seasonal ranking but it does have an unfair advantage on career ranking. We can always make competitions ourselves though.

6 hours ago, bigblock990 said:

Is there anyway to keep hardware points as a contributing factor to the rankings?

Current proposal is hardware points only count to hardware masters league correct?

But hardware points are a contributing factor! Member points = top 30 submissions (global + hardware + wr points) + top 10 competition entries. Why the idea it is no longer relevant?

5 hours ago, bigblock990 said:

@richba5tard If you are dead set on having two rankings career / seasonal, maybe better breakdown for points would be

Career: Top XX submissions + Top XX hardware

Seasonal: Top XX submissions + Top XX competition

I am dead set on having all rankings based on same logic. Difference in career and seasonal should only be the scope of the year, not different logic IMHO.

4 hours ago, Splave said:

Hw points are a leveling factor of time and effort to help advance without having the highest end gear. It's a tough choice but maybe it's best since after gtx680  all the old legacies are cpu benches for the most part. I can see it both ways I guess. 

-Maybe an unpopular opinion but 3dmark03 needs a nerf. Why is it 67 points vs 50s anyways?

In response to idea of cutting comp points, I think you should keep competition points involved. If u have to suck it up and help your brothers once in awhile you can get a benefit or not. 

Is there no longer anything in place to quash team hw sharing? This looks to be biggest team is best team which would increase shill account rewards. 

Is it such a wild idea to maybe give each member a week and we all choose 8-10 cpu benches and gpu benches from a listed poll? Maybe we can trim some fat to save computational power and server costs. 

Hardware points still count. Why do you think it does not? Deciding which apps get points and which not is an related discussion.

16 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

• Too much computational power? Overclock the goddamned server for ducks sake. lol. No but seriously, perhaps move the database to newer server hardware and shop for better pricing maybe? 
  • Is HWBot hurting for cash. I saw some thread about paying to lvl up your points or something. I sit in the midwest. Perhaps put up some billboard advertisements and hold some events outside the usual boxes. 

HWBOT is not hurting for cash, and rev7 is computational wise already OK. What is not OK is that we have such a huge code base to maintain for all the specific kind of rankings, all with their own logic, all influencing each other. It's nearly impossible to keep stable with limited time to be able to spend on it and for what?

I agree that staying on top of the team/country ranking would require yearly effort, but that is exactly the point. The team and country rankings are almost static, nothing interesting going on. If you reset yearly at least there is a yearly fight for the top.

We can do the same for teams as for members though: show both a seasonal as an all-time ranking.

Team and country can also be based on top xxx members, instead of all. That is not too complex to explain.

15 minutes ago, cbjaust said:

As for the Team Points being the sum of points for the current year, won't that lead to gaming the system by rebenching all of your hardware that gets the best scores every year plus what ever new hardware benched that gets a good score?

If needed be we can make it part of the rules, and auto-ban people taking advantage of it. You would not want to spend moderator time on this though.

6 hours ago, bigblock990 said:

Is there anyway to keep hardware points as a contributing factor to the rankings?

Current proposal is hardware points only count to hardware masters league correct?

No, hardware points still contribute for your member points. In rev8 the suggestion is to use the "total points" of your submission, which is hw+gl+wr points.

• Thanks 1

From my side it looks like I've been with my Team for 12 years and at hardware bot for probably about as long. What 06 07'??

So we where ClassicPlatforms and changed to warp 9 and grew allowing new members in here and there and earned our way which took many years to a top of a very aggressive make of teams.

NOW, we suddenly come up with the idea to basically tear apart a team of human beings with heart and soul put into HWBot?

Really, boycott would be a good term for decisions like this. (please no offence it's business I understand that) and any good team with good leaders and members are going to agree here.

A yearly fight sounds fun. But you're really going to break hearts here Frederic.

How about a yearly team comp that GIVES A LARGE SUM OF POINTS that other teams would have to grind on for a while. 

Jon aka ShrimpBrime

Edited by ShrimpBrime
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

How about a yearly team comp that GIVES A LARGE SUM OF POINTS that other teams would have to grind on for a while. 

Jon aka ShrimpBrime

Thanks for the feedback Jon, i feel your pain. It is a very reasonable suggestion competitions such as the country cup have a big impact on the team ranking. It shows skill and team participation as no other. I will take it under account!

Why cant team points go off the members all time points like it always has and not be a yearly thing.

Personal league points can go on a yearly basis I have no problem with that.

I dont really care about my personal points in the slightest but a lot of my team grind out team points on old hardware and spend a lot of time and effort doing it they only care about the teams position not there own and we are going to be obliterated if it changes to a yearly thing because most members dont have the money to buy all new shiny year after year.

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, macsbeach98 said:

Why cant team points go off the members all time points like it always has and not be a yearly thing.

Personal league points can go on a yearly basis I have no problem with that.

I dont really care about my personal points in the slightest but a lot of my team grind out team points on old hardware and spend a lot of time and effort doing it they only care about the teams position not there own and we are going to be obliterated if it changes to a yearly thing because most members dont have the money to buy all new shiny year after year.

Yes, that is a possibility, and it is not hard to explain neither hard to implement so I'm not against it. It does mean that the team ranking is nearly static. Why not do the same as member points and have both?

2 hours ago, richba5tard said:

No, hardware points still contribute for your member points. In rev8 the suggestion is to use the "total points" of your submission, which is hw+gl+wr points.

Ok I see this now. I will miss the dedicated hardware slots in the rankings, that is one thing I enjoy from rev6/7. But ofcourse I don't expect hwbot to be tailored to my specific likings.

Edited by bigblock990

Ah I see. Does it really make a big difference though? Whether the total amount of points is used instead of hw only? I can increase it to top 40 (total), but i'd like to avoid the "sum of top 15 global/benchmark points and top 40 hardware point submissions" approach, as it is only clear to people who have been using hwbot for a long time.

1 hour ago, richba5tard said:

Ah I see. Does it really make a big difference though? Whether the total amount of points is used instead of hw only? I can increase it to top 40 (total), but i'd like to avoid the "sum of top 15 global/benchmark points and top 40 hardware point submissions" approach, as it is only clear to people who have been using hwbot for a long time.

Would you be so kind sir to explain to me, a noob with inferior mental status, what is clear to those using HWBOT for a long time and is not clear to me ?

Because what is more than clear, is the fact that this huge complexity ( and its maintenance ), is due to a big pile of accumulated mistakes of the past, occurring in every revision.

Certainly the members are not responsible for that.

Who is ? None of my business.

Thank you.

55 minutes ago, Remarc said:

richba5tard

in the data base has bug with Ryzen cpu 2xxx,in menu not showing all ryzen 2xxx cpu (r3 r5 r7) and when click on the main menu it get error 500...fix this issue please (i wrote you pm about it 1 month ago,but no answer)

If we have an easier algorithm to maintain, i can actually spend some time polishing other parts of HWBOT. Please keep this on topic, not bug reports of unrelated stuff.

42 minutes ago, Fasttrack said:

Would you be so kind sir to explain to me, a noob with inferior mental status, what is clear to those using HWBOT for a long time and is not clear to me ?

Because what is more than clear, is the fact that this huge complexity ( and its maintenance ), is due to a big pile of accumulated mistakes of the past, occurring in every revision.

Certainly the members are not responsible for that.

Who is ? None of my business.

Thank you.

If "accumulated mistakes" is implementing feedback from crew and community, yes that caused a huge complexity. In current rev8 proposal i was able to remove a large chunk of this accumulated code.