HWBOT Community Forums
MrGenius

Flashing a different GPU BIOS

So...I'm able to flash a Vega Frontier Edition 8GB BIOS on my RX Vega 64 reference card. Which works and allows me to use the Radeon Pro drivers. Which lets me score like 4x higher in the SPECviewperf 12 Creo Subtest 11, than when running an RX Vega 64 BIOS and using the Radeon Gaming drivers. Is my score legit? Yes/no? Why/why not? If it is legit, am I supposed to submit it as a Vega Frontier Edition score, or an RX Vega 64 score? I've read the rules and I really don't understand how to interpret them. What exactly is "emulating" another model? Is it exactly what I've done? Is it that as long as it's just for more cores/shaders, higher power limits, tighter memory timings, and such it's fine to use a different(or modded) BIOS? But it's not fine for other purposes(like to be able to use different drivers)? Where's the line being drawn exactly? And again...why? I don't get it. At all. Please explain.

Thanks!

afaik you have to sub as the original hardware it is. So it is an unlocked Vega 64; e.g. HD6950@6970 should not be in the HD6970 ranking but in the HD6950 ranking as "unlocked"

Edited by superpatodonaldo

Yes, you sub it as a vega 64. And since no shaders have been unlocked you don't even have to mark it as unlocked. Using a specific bios for best performance has been a thing for a long time in OC.

I have to reply to this as I missed this the first time. The HD-6950->HD-6970 is a terrible example WHY. The HD-6950 has 1408 Shaders and 88 TMU's where-as the HD-6970 has 1536 Shaders and 96 TMU's. When these were first released, you could flash your HD-6950 $250-$300(it was software locked) to a FULL HD-6970 $425-$500. Later AMD made it impossible as the mod was done at the DIE level.

If it's a HD-6970 on the inside, then it should be judged as such. GPU-Z Lists the card benched as a HD-6900 - it's under the Shaders and TMU that you determine if it's a HD-6950 or a HD6970.

If not..Then all I need to do is is camouflage  my HD-6970's and then Submit them as HD-6950's ----- HUMMM I wonder if I'm the first one to think of this !!!!

^ Take a picture - Pictures can be faked if someone really want's/needs 1st place (200+ Points $$$ anyone).

A GPU (HD-6950) with - 1408 Shaders and 88 TMU's....WILL NEVER BEAT IT - thus I will always have a top 5 spot.

It's the same as a AMD x2-555 unlocked to a x4-B55 in CB15. My 2 core CPU will NEVER beat your 4 core CPU. There-for should not the 4 core CPU be judged as such.

Thank You For Your Time...

• Like 1

This is not some basic flashing a different BIOS so that you can use overclocking software or being able to adjust the voltage. This is unlocking the CPU or GPU into a new/upper class. Here is links to my x2-555 and x4-B55 example.

Here is the X2-555 competing in CB-15 ONLY against other 2x-555 --- 2 Active Cores.

https://hwbot.org/submission/2802999_subaruwrc_cinebench___r15_phenom_ii_x2_555_be_329_cb

Here is the SAME x2-555 UNLOCKED to a 3c CPU competing against other x2-555 (x4-B55) unlocked to 3 ACTIVE CORES.

https://hwbot.org/submission/3948563_ale_belo_cinebench___r15_phenom_ii_x2_555_be_501_cb/

Here is a x2-550 2c unlocked to a 4c (x4-B50) competing against other x2-550 unlocked to 4 active cores.

https://hwbot.org/submission/3288502_johni5_cinebench___r15_phenom_ii_x2_550_be_505_cb/

When I first started flagging the HD-6950's as HD-6970's -- In many of the benches you had to go back 5-6 places before you found a true HD-6950.

If I'm wrong in this...Then I humbly apologize and will not make any further inquires or other comments regarding this. 

Edited by MaddMutt

18 hours ago, MaddMutt said:

This is not some basic flashing a different BIOS so that you can use overclocking software or being able to adjust the voltage. This is unlocking the CPU or GPU into a new/upper class. Here is links to my x2-555 and x4-B55 example.

Here is the X2-555 competing in CB-15 ONLY against other 2x-555 --- 2 Active Cores.

https://hwbot.org/submission/2802999_subaruwrc_cinebench___r15_phenom_ii_x2_555_be_329_cb

Here is the SAME x2-555 UNLOCKED to a 3c CPU competing against other x2-555 (x4-B55) unlocked to 3 ACTIVE CORES.

https://hwbot.org/submission/3948563_ale_belo_cinebench___r15_phenom_ii_x2_555_be_501_cb/

Here is a x2-550 2c unlocked to a 4c (x4-B50) competing against other x2-550 unlocked to 4 active cores.

https://hwbot.org/submission/3288502_johni5_cinebench___r15_phenom_ii_x2_550_be_505_cb/

When I first started flagging the HD-6950's as HD-6970's -- In many of the benches you had to go back 5-6 places before you found a true HD-6950.

If I'm wrong in this...Then I humbly apologize and will not make any further inquires or other comments regarding this. 

You're supposed to check the box as unlocked, it's the same for cpus where unlocked cores don't compete with original core count. 

8 hours ago, yosarianilives said:

You're supposed to check the box as unlocked, it's the same for cpus where unlocked cores don't compete with original core count. 

Most of those 6950 subs were before a 'check box' was available.

I hate doing this as WE HAVE many that need to cheat :(

Here is my submission for my HD-6970 that is listed as 14th place:

https://hwbot.org/submission/4047711_maddmutt_3dmark_vantage___performance_radeon_hd_6970_31518_marks

Here is 3rd place with a HD-6950 :

https://hwbot.org/submission/2947625_gubben_3dmark_vantage___performance_radeon_hd_6950_31476_marks/

There is NO WAY to tell between a HD-6950 and a HD-6970 except by GPU-Z's Shader and TMU's. I could EASILY CHEAT and re-submit this as a UNLOCKED HD-6950->HD-6970 and have 3rd place. This is a increase of  20.1 for Hardware Points and 62.5 for Hardware Team Power Points and this is just ONE (1) submission!!

This is a Software Mod that unlocks a Comply disabled SM cluster/unit/or what ever AMD calls it. This would be the same as a Software Mod that unlocks the SM on a GTX-780/980/1080 and made it into a GTX-780Ti/980Ti/1080Ti. This Software Mod would only work on the cards released in the first 6-10 months. These cards are listed/claimed on the Bot as the lesser cards (The card/picture says it's a non Ti version) but GPU-Z shows them as the better cards.

^ This may be a losing fight and if so, I apologize for taking up the valuable time of other members and staff in reading my rantings/comments.   

Thank You For Your Time

In Reading And Replying

MaddMutt (M_M)

Edited by MaddMutt

It IS a losing fight.

No way to positively prove one way or the other. That is why it is as it is.

It's not something I've ever done, and actually assumed it worked the other way, that you sub as whatever you've unlocked to as that makes sense to me.

The issue with that I believe is the idea you can sub in multiple categories with a single card, or even more with 2 (different combinations of single/crossfire?)

You sub as the original card. That's the way it's always been.

The multiple category subbing has been a long standing, un-remedied problem here.