HWBOT Community Forums
MrGenius

Flashing a different GPU BIOS

So...I'm able to flash a Vega Frontier Edition 8GB BIOS on my RX Vega 64 reference card. Which works and allows me to use the Radeon Pro drivers. Which lets me score like 4x higher in the SPECviewperf 12 Creo Subtest 11, than when running an RX Vega 64 BIOS and using the Radeon Gaming drivers. Is my score legit? Yes/no? Why/why not? If it is legit, am I supposed to submit it as a Vega Frontier Edition score, or an RX Vega 64 score? I've read the rules and I really don't understand how to interpret them. What exactly is "emulating" another model? Is it exactly what I've done? Is it that as long as it's just for more cores/shaders, higher power limits, tighter memory timings, and such it's fine to use a different(or modded) BIOS? But it's not fine for other purposes(like to be able to use different drivers)? Where's the line being drawn exactly? And again...why? I don't get it. At all. Please explain.

Thanks!

afaik you have to sub as the original hardware it is. So it is an unlocked Vega 64; e.g. HD6950@6970 should not be in the HD6970 ranking but in the HD6950 ranking as "unlocked"

Edited by superpatodonaldo

Yes, you sub it as a vega 64. And since no shaders have been unlocked you don't even have to mark it as unlocked. Using a specific bios for best performance has been a thing for a long time in OC.