HWBOT Community Forums

On 4/4/2019 at 8:57 AM, subaruwrc said:

try higher

I had the same sympthoms at the begining of my b-die learning.

try 1.3 io 1.3 Sa for start then raise the SA when you can boot 1t

Running singlestage right now (5950 550k+ AM3) and really want to get 1T running but it's one hell of a ride...

Btw: anybody got XP booting on the Gene XI until now? Got "some stummi dude" who want's to meet with me in 2 weeks and he would love some 01 ;)

• Like 2

• Administrators

Get an apex x, there are BIOS files for xp and you can run it - or mod an apex IX, there is no hope atm for an XP BIOS for XI series. I know some very diligent and prolific guys tried, but hasn´t worked up to date

• Confused 1

Somehow I knew the Gene would screw me...Apex it is *throws money in the fire pit*

€: no way to get 1T running - hell yeah I gave it 1.4V vccio/vccsa...same boot loop...not bothering with that pussy board anymore!

Edited by SoF
  • Sad 1

Hey guys,

thought to spend some time to make the pinout of the OC Panel cable since it has been requested a couple of times already.
Here is how the OC Panel cable is split so you can try to connect it to the newer motherboards.
As you can see the full length cable (OC Panel side) is split in two (mobo port & usb port) parts.

The USB port is ONLY needed for firmware updates etc.
For OC you only need the mobo port!

Hope this helps :)

new oc panel port.png

On 4/1/2019 at 3:45 PM, flanker said:

bad question, but how to connect OC Panel/Panel II to Maximus XI series? I have old OC Panels and also cables from old series of Maximus boards. New one connector on board seems a little different ?

On 4/1/2019 at 10:37 PM, gkmltd said:

+1

On 4/2/2019 at 12:49 AM, marco.is.not.80 said:

+1

Just so you guys see this ;) 

Edited by FireKillerGR
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, websmile said:

Get an apex x, there are BIOS files for xp and you can run it - or mod an apex IX, there is no hope atm for an XP BIOS for XI series. I know some very diligent and prolific guys tried, but hasn´t worked up to date

Santa might be coming earlier ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, SoF said:

Somehow I knew the Gene would screw me...Apex it is *throws money in the fire pit*

€: no way to get 1T running - hell yeah I gave it 1.4V vccio/vccsa...same boot loop...not bothering with that pussy board anymore!

try fixing vcio to 1.3 and raise only vccsa above that. going above 1.3 vcio gave me 23 and boot loop no matter geekbench stable settings before.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 12:42 PM, subaruwrc said:

try fixing vcio to 1.3 and raise only vccsa above that. going above 1.3 vcio gave me 23 and boot loop no matter geekbench stable settings before.

After some more hints from websmile I managed to get 1T running but the scores were not better compared to running a stable and less-voltage hungry 14-14-14-28-280 2T.
I'm just aiming for "classic 3D" like AM3, UH DX9, 03, 05 and there seems to be no real benefit torturing the memory any further.

In general don't get my latest comments wrong (I was way overtired friday), the Gene XI seems to be a great little board, but for some special needs it's missing some features and details like no XP support and some really strange stuff when pushing memory.
I knew the missing 2nd PCI-E slot would prevent me from doing some stuff but now I really whish I would have put my money in an Apex.
But for now the performance per clock looks okay:

558k AM3 @6060 MHZ

73K 05 @6060 MHZ

11k UH DX9 @ 6060 MHZ

And not sure if this is in any way related but I couldn't run 6160, not talking 6250+ MHZ which was easy pz on my very first run with crappy memory (settings). Maybe I have raised some voltages which will cause more heat internally but raw-mhz wise that run on friday was a real pain in the ass.

€: and for that XP stuff...there is one thing I really want to test but just can't find the time...ruling out people found a way around inputs and we all know about the usb drivers by now...it must be something with the sata controllers and/or ME drivers...

Edited by SoF

35 minutes ago, SoF said:

After some more hints from websmile I managed to get 1T running but the scores were not better compared to running a stable and less-voltage hungry 14-14-14-28-280 2T.
I'm just aiming for "classic 3D" like AM3, UH DX9, 03, 05 and there seems to be no real benefit torturing the memory any further.

In general don't get my latest comments wrong (I was way overtired friday), the Gene XI seems to be a great little board, but for some special needs it's missing some features and details like no XP support and some really strange stuff when pushing memory.
I knew the missing 2nd PCI-E slot would prevent me from doing some stuff but now I really whish I would have put my money in an Apex.
But for now the performance per clock looks okay:

558k AM3 @6060 MHZ

73K 05 @6060 MHZ

11k UH DX9 @ 6060 MHZ

And not sure if this is in any way related but I couldn't run 6160, not talking 6250+ MHZ which was easy pz on my very first run with crappy memory (settings). Maybe I have raised some voltages which will cause more heat internally but raw-mhz wise that run on friday was a real pain in the ass.

€: and for that XP stuff...there is one thing I really want to test but just can't find the time...ruling out people found a way around inputs and we all know about the usb drivers by now...it must be something with the sata controllers and/or ME drivers...

Brother you need to dig deeper, check page 3 on this thread, few guys made it to install the xp, the problem is the lack of the acpi support from the bios. usb no need at all, just ps2 all the way and copy all data from different os with usb support. put that chip under ln2 some time, should be easy 7g++ legacy chip if it scales so nicely on SS. also dont forget that am3 and 05 are w8.1 benches for best efficiency. 12-12-12 1T should overperform any day the 14-14-14 2T even in 3d. bdie's dont degrade, ask Michael :) good to see you back!

Edited by Achill3uS
  • Like 2

Thanks for the warm welcome back and your input.

I am digging my way back but after 6 years afk/afxoc I need to re-learn some basics and it's good to get some feedback.

W8 is an OS I really don't want to touch, yet it seems there is no way around for some benchmarks. I haven't stuck my head deeper into this real time clock / clock issue yet and honestly...don't want to :(But there seems no way around so maybe this is my task for the next week...any raw direction if this will be a 1%, 5% or whatever bump in scores from what I'm currently looking at?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

• Administrators
On 4/7/2019 at 10:06 PM, SoF said:

Thanks for the warm welcome back and your input.

I am digging my way back but after 6 years afk/afxoc I need to re-learn some basics and it's good to get some feedback.

W8 is an OS I really don't want to touch, yet it seems there is no way around for some benchmarks. I haven't stuck my head deeper into this real time clock / clock issue yet and honestly...don't want to :(But there seems no way around so maybe this is my task for the next week...any raw direction if this will be a 1%, 5% or whatever bump in scores from what I'm currently looking at?

When you use skylake ot later cpu gen on Intel, win8 and 10 are no problem anymore. The rtc bug was fixed at hardware level by Intel on this. No matter if you stay at c14 or go for c12, the proposals by Bala make sense 100% especially if you want to optimize your scores, and we don´t talk about 0,5%, but a lot more. Makes no sense to invest time and go cascade/LN2 to lose performance on wrong OS :D

On 4/9/2019 at 11:13 AM, Hiwa said:

Welcome back SoF

Thanks hiwa! Good to see you're still around :)

23 hours ago, websmile said:

When you use skylake ot later cpu gen on Intel, win8 and 10 are no problem anymore. The rtc bug was fixed at hardware level by Intel on this. No matter if you stay at c14 or go for c12, the proposals by Bala make sense 100% especially if you want to optimize your scores, and we don´t talk about 0,5%, but a lot more. Makes no sense to invest time and go cascade/LN2 to lose performance on wrong OS :D

That's really good to know, so no additional tools for clock monitoring and stuff. That's pretty nice to know.

I benched some stuff with 13-13 end of last week-end and the results / performance was noticable better compared to my former CL14 setting so this might not be the end of the flag pole in optimizing. I'm currently cloning my pretty nice working win 7 and afterwards will go for Win 8.1 installation...I have an image already but need to prepare a usb stick first (or burn a DVD the old school way...as long as it works ;) )

Thanks for all the input, I'm still crawling and digging out of my hole I've been in the last years ;)

Btw: Also got me an IX Apex which I plan to mod - it's too tempting to play with 2 or 3 GPUs (specially 7990+7970 or 3x 580) like in the old days :D

• Like 1

Installed a Windows 8.1 yesterday and did a quick AM3 (have done nothing to the OS for optimizing, just installed Windows, ME-Drivers and GPU drivers) and had around 3k points more compared to Win 7 at 5555 MHZ.

It looks like Win 8.1 reacts to small improvements in uncore freq. or memory-settings way better - I manged to get 530k with 5650 MHZ and it scales with ~8000 points per 100 MHZ.
Together with some more memory tweaking and uncore (~ 1000 points per 100MHZ) this is going towards the right direction.

I noticed a pretty nice boost in 05 - having 70k now with 5550MHZ and a 980 Ti. That's roughly 2.5k more than before on Win7.

Unfortunatly I fetched a cold and the LN2 session planned for next week is not going to happen maybe :( But I'm trying to recover quickly, maybe can still do it.

Edited by SoF

4 hours ago, IvanCupa said:

If I mod the OC panel like this, do we need to update FW first to use the only OC function from OC Panel on newer motherboard?
I have a OC Panel 1. And i'm afraid to brick it. ?

No need to update ocp1 just need to connect this

Screen Shot 04-16-19 at 02.01 AM.PNG

20190416_020558.jpg

Edited by dumo