HWBOT Community Forums

Should we simplify the leagues in 2019 and on or not?

Simplify member leagues or not   

91 members have voted

1. 1. Simplify member leagues or not

• 2 leagues: sponsored and not sponsored
    • 6 leagues: extreme / elite / enthusiast / apprentice / rookie / novice

Ok so if we want to think elite is all gravy too what if you literally work for a company.

Would that be SUPER ELITE FTW Half life 3 edition leauge?

Should we put hicookie, elmor, toppc, nickshih in a leauge by themselves? 

What if you work for or are paid by a computer store giant like roman, rsann should you also have a special league? That is even more beneficial imo to have retail access for comps etc....than getting a couple ES CPUs and mobos. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Splave said:

Ok so if we want to think elite is all gravy too what if you literally work for a company.

What if you work for or are paid by a computer store giant like roman, rsann should you also have a special league? That is even more beneficial imo to have retail access for comps etc....than getting a couple ES CPUs and mobos. 

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think those 'league' matter much when I'm benching :p

It will always be my target to try catching up with those 'Gods', even though sometimes its frustrating not being able to match them no matter how much I tried, but it just means I can get better, little by little (I have been trying to turn my OC hobbies to a job position at some vendor, no success after 10 years but I haven't stopped trying yet lol )

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, unityofsaints said:

Ok so if reducing the no. of leagues really helps with maintenance and modding costs I'd break it down like this:

1. Rookie - Cheap to maintain (just a 3 month cutoff), encourages fresh blood = stays
  2. Novice - Just another time-limited league, Novice Nimble comps no longer run, what's the difference to enthusiast anymore? = remove
  3. Enthusiast - Really messy to mod due to the cold climates / H2O vs. chiller issues = remove
  4. Apprentice - We need a league between extreme and rookie. Maybe redesigned a bit to include cascade? = stays
  5. Extreme - Tons and tons of activity here as LN2 is very popular. Need a league that is the "opposite" of apprentice = stays
  6. Elite - Messiest to moderate! What exactly is sponsorship? Are there enough sponsored OCers to make up a ranking? I say it's not worth the overhead = remove

So I would be happy with staying with the current system or condensing the rankings down to at least 3 leagues.

Fewer leagues than that would be annoying to work with and cause too many OCers to give up or not even join in the first place imo.

I agree apart from the Elite, Elite gives the XOC guys something to aim for Elite is the F1 of overclocking we need Elite.

Elite doesn't mean free these guys work hard for what they get, I wouldn't want to ever be Elite I couldn't put in the time required to get the parts.

Its always the same in life the grass is always greener.

Edited by kimandsally
Change

17 minutes ago, marco.is.not.80 said:

Merge the Enthusiast League with the Apprentice League. That takes care of the "prove your cooling" issue.

Merge the Novice League with the Rookie League.

Reclassify Extreme and Elite as "Elite - not sponsored" and "Elite - sponsored".

My two cents.

Yes, I like it too. Simple and rational.

45 minutes ago, marco.is.not.80 said:

Merge the Enthusiast League with the Apprentice League. That takes care of the "prove your cooling" issue.

Reclassify Extreme and Elite as "Elite - not sponsored" and "Elite - sponsored".

My two cents.

Even that is too complicated, just make it Rookie and Enthusiast league with no cooling limitations at all so that the only thing that determines league is time on the bot. If you're able to drop 50 hardware golds and take half the global firsts in your first 6 months of OC then you deserve to be top of the rookie league no matter your cooling, etc.

• Like 2

3 leagues seems the best way. You need a method of bringing in fresh, new blood or this e-peen sport will grow stale. So the Novice league is a good way to start out. It's unlimited and whatever you can use goes. Time limit works. Maybe arrange for 2 Rookie-Rumbles each year to entice newcomers. Work with Youtubers to promote this idea as it seems to be the fastest growing marketing Avenue. Those marketeers (really most are advertising venues) can possibly assist in sponsoring those rookie comps thru Hardware vendors. 

The cooling aspect: not everyone can afford to invest for SS, DICE, LN2. So a line should be drawn there. If your investing in a SS and up, your preparing to ultimately make the jump to the highest level which is LN2. So elite at SS and above.

Chillers on down to Air in another League. The difference from an Ice chest to a Chiller is not much at all. If you luck out and get a golden ambient chip that's cool. Those that don't can try to catch up with chilled waters and higher voltages. 

Free hardware vs none: I don't have experience here so IDK how much of a difference it makes overall. But there should be a mechanism to to show Sponsored vs Non-Sponsored.

So 3 tiers: Rookie/Novice, Enthusiest, Elite.

It doesn't seem like we have enough opinions in this thread, so I'll throw mine in too. ;)

-Agreed with a lot of the others above, having Rookie and Novice seems redundant -> merge these two into a single Rookie league with a time limit of somewhere between 3 and 12 months(maybe 6 months would be a good number)

- From what I've seen, the biggest issues with cooling come from mods having to define a line between ambient water and chilled water; I have seen few/no accusations of people in Apprentice running LN2, it's usually pretty obvious from clocks.  There's also a clear separation in expense and complexity between sticking a radiator outside/in a bucket of ice vs. SS/DICE and colder.  Anyone can do the former, jumping to the latter shows a more serious commitment to OC.  This lends SS and colder as a good starting point for the Extreme league.

- OTOH, there's also a reasonable argument to be made that SS/DICE is substantially cheaper for most people than LN2/Cascade.  That would make "colder than DICE" the other possible cutoff for the Extreme league.  Personally, I think the SS cutoff makes more sense, especially since anything warmer is much more achievable for the "average" user, but I wouldn't have a problem with either one.  Either way, I think chilled water setups should definitely be allowed in Enthusiast.

- I'm in favor of having an Elite league, even ignoring the question of binning, having access to ES BIOSes, mobos, software, etc., along with an easier time getting technical questions answered, does seem like a substantial advantage to me.  In the end, I don't really care though, I wouldn't be heartbroken if Elite was merged with Extreme.  Just gives me another excuse when I can't get first place a reason to push harder.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Splave said:

This is the only true elite.
oh, and you forgot Vince haha.

also this proposed elite season system, would you call it "Pro OC" lol

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Splave said:

What do we do with asus lhe results, lhe leauge?  

No more cooling categories, only 3 categories: sponsored, non sponsored and rookie, simple as that.

Guys, we need to simplify things for Hwbot staff, and getting rid of rankings based on cooling categories looks pretty reasonable.

Edited by Casanova
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, suzuki said:

This is a waterchiller which can go even to -60. 

Also,people using the ice bucket method with ice plus antigel in the freezer at -30 degrees make the whole enthusiast league seem pointless.

Merge enthusiast with apprentice and you get rid of the problems.

5A26C3C0-5263-4627-B6C5-A1C49A4409D0.jpeg

I want I want

• 1 month later...
On 11/30/2018 at 8:28 PM, marco.is.not.80 said:

My two cents.

Not bad.

I think the league definition should go by the availability/cost of the cooling option. Benchin with LN2 / SS/ DICE required investment of all sorts.

Benching outdoor at -30C required living in Canada, Russia or wherever else...

Using ice and putting it in a bucket requires a freezer, which everybody has in his kitchen. If you mix it with ethanol or whatever, it is your responsability to declare it, but not mine to do the same or better (if I don t intend to do so...)

Hence, my choice would go to :
- Sub Zero Sponsored
- Sub Zero non Sponsored
- Above Zero C
- Rookies/Novice
but also fine with the above proposal... I'd feel sorry for the Enthusiasts though. but in all cases, I don t see why enthusiast/apprentice should go with extreme...

Edited by bolc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bolc said:

A very significant percentage..... In my opinion, this is BS...

1) Watch your mouth mister. We are not in a saloon with drunks around us.

2) If you do not have the info I have ( and many more in here ), what orgies happen with "enthusiast cooling", better keep silent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1