HWBOT Community Forums

Questions about AsRock X299 OC Formula

First time with this superb X299 board.

I have come across an issue that is at least peculiar to me.

Two cpu's -

1) I7-7740X capable of 6ghz on Nachtfalke's 2hp SS, with 1.58V, running anything up there on Asus Apex VI

2) Superb I5-7640X capable of 6.2ghz at 1.57V on same SS and board.

On the AsRock with the latest bios 1.60, it is impossible to go beyond 58 multi. Whatever voltage. As soon as I apply 59 in Formula Drive, the whole system freezes and needs hard reset.

I would be really thankful for any help given, since it is a wonderful board and I would not like to part with it.

Thank you all :)

13 hours ago, bigblock990 said:

Try the attached version please. Confirmed working on both kabyx and skyx, however I haven't tested past bios 1.20

AFDSetup(v3.0_177.1).zip

Alright then :(

I tried this version of AFD. Nope.

I tried back-up bios 1.10. Nope.

I updated back-up bios to 1.20. Nope.

I tried strap 125. Nope.

For some technical reason, the board declines to operate over 5.8ghz.

Both on my tried and tested cpu's.

5.8ghz CBR15 1.42V perfect.

5.9ghz system freezes even with 1.58V applied and LLC1.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will leave the tread open, in case some expert besides @bigblock990 comes up with a possible solution.

Then I will have to sell the board or use it somewhere else, where less demanding situations exist.

I am very unhappy :(

Yeap.

It freezes immediately.

And yes I tried to Bclk up and yes I tried thru XTU.

Nothing works :(

Another thing I forgot to mention.

Two weeks ago, I had installed ( with bios 1.50 back then ) my very good I7-7820X.

Had no issue - NONE - running 5.5ghz with 1.42V on the same SS.

It even ran 5.4ghz H265 4K with same voltage, without even turning positive not even on one core.

Going nuts, lol :)

• Like 1

Just now, superpatodonaldo said:

I had some issues to go over x62 (or x63, don't remember exactly) with Z170M OCF and X299 OCF, maybe the problem is something related to OS or AFD software version, hoping not related to the mainboard :)

Two ssd's. Clean installations. W7X64 and W10X64. So I suppose OS is excluded from the "thriller".

AFD, tried 4 versions. Same all.

Two very good cpu's and numerous ram sets ( I know, irrelevant ).

PSU Corsair AX1600i - brand new.

Starting to get that "itch" in my belly that something is wrong with the board - unfortunately :(

9 minutes ago, Fasttrack said:

Two ssd's. Clean installations. W7X64 and W10X64. So I suppose OS is excluded from the "thriller".

AFD, tried 4 versions. Same all.

Two very good cpu's and numerous ram sets ( I know, irrelevant ).

PSU Corsair AX1600i - brand new.

Starting to get that "itch" in my belly that something is wrong with the board - unfortunately :(

Your bios profile, are you starting from scratch and making your own, or starting with a preset?

First upfront :)

Thank you all for all the effort to help me. I sincerely feel extremely obliged.

Tried also bios 1.18.

Same.

So, I think I am done.

Board is getting off the benchtable, will be cleaned thoroughly and back to its box.

Most probably it will be sold on eBay.

What a huge shame. I am 110% sure that it is an isolated case - the board is magnificent - mem handling superb, BUT this multiplier issue is a big problem.

AGAIN, thank you all for spending precious time for me. You guys rock :)

5 hours ago, sabishiihito said:

I suspect not much effort going into KBL-X support on X299 boards, especially since Intel has EOL'd the products.

Probably yes, but on the other hand, how can you explain that same cpu's installed on Asus Apex VI perform flawlessly -

7740x - 6ghz

7640X - 6.2ghz

Enter Turbo Vcore application, adjust Vcore only, adjust speed respectively - apply and bench.

Finish, reboot and all over again and again and again for hours ( way of speaking ). No issue at all - NONE.

So, I can't really see - EOL or not - how Kabylake-X works like a charm on one brand of boards and fails another.

TBH, I do not have the time or the mood or the extended knowledge to pin down the issue ( if any ).

I prefer to sell ( even with a loss ) and move on :)

Edited by Fasttrack
  • Like 1