HWBOT Community Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hakaru

What counts as a single Core CPU?

So of course an Intel CPU with only one core, of course is only a single core CPU. But what about Bulldozer based CPUs? What counts as a single core there? So for example is a single Module processor with 2 threads counted as a single core? Or two cores, the reason I ask is as i would like to participate in Single core only CPU competitions and have a Bulldozer based CPU with a single active module and would not like to violate any rules about the single core rule.

Regards Hakaru.

A single module chip such as the 6420K still counts as two cores - the vast majority of core resources are independent.

On 12/18/2018 at 5:31 PM, mickulty said:

A single module chip such as the 6420K still counts as two cores - the vast majority of core resources are independent.

In fact all of the resources are independant, it's not that there are resources that are shared by cores in a communal sense, it's more that one core can also use the resources of another core. For example there are in fact 2x fpu, they just happen to combine into one FPU for single threaded scenarios. Of course you know this, just thought I'd elaborate for others ;)

8 hours ago, yosarianilives said:

In fact all of the resources are independant, it's not that there are resources that are shared by cores in a communal sense, it's more that one core can also use the resources of another core. For example there are in fact 2x fpu, they just happen to combine into one FPU for single threaded scenarios. Of course you know this, just thought I'd elaborate for others ;)

The two cores share a 3-wide decoder.