HWBOT Community Forums

A7N8X-E Deluxe as an alternative for socket 462

TerraRaptor

I tend to pay 10€ per 512mb stick as absolute max. However then it must be a very special dimm, in no way i'd pay more than 5€ per 512mb stick if it's CH-5. I'd say 14 bucks incl. shipping is alright for a raid controller and two sticks of CH-5.

FYI: Some time ago a german 2nd hard hardware store sold Infineon 6A (relabeled Winbond BH) for <2€ (256mb) and 2.50€ (512mb) sticks.  The shop had like 40-50 sticks and the guys over at hardwareluxx bought them all :D Needless to say that these clock very well... My two best 6A sticks achieve 257Mhz 32M on nforce2 at 3.6V which is probably the limit of the chipset.

21 hours ago, 4n0nym0u5b3nch3r said:

Hijacking this thread for a RAM question:

I bought some Corsair xms3202v5.2 DIMMs, does anyone know what chips these have?

99% of known ram modules labeled as v5.x are PROMOS.

20 hours ago, Tzk said:

Could be CH-5.

@stunned_guy posted a huge list of Corsair XMS on the hardwareluxx.de forums. Have a look at it, even when you're not able to read german. The list is self-explanatory :)

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/corsair-xms-ddr1-ic-datenbank.1038384/

@Sparks.nl

Woah, that one looks nice. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, i might contact him for that booster. Sold my OCZ booster a while ago because i didn't like it. Voltage fluctuation was high and you couldn't adjust it that well.

Winbond is not present in v5.x labels

https://forum.corsair.com/v2/showthread.php?t=44365&t=44365

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Sparks.nl said:

Auto660 designed and build the booster (FireRAM) this year. It is much better then the ocz booster when used fully. 
This unit can set dimm voltage and set vtt percentage. He is using free pins of the memory banks for this. I still have to make this mod on all motherboards. 
The only disadvantage is that you have to order and solder everything yourself. 

15AD10F0-B2BB-4DD5-9231-39BA04227D5D.jpeg

He is on HWbot and Discord as well. 

Who has tested compatibility with various boards ?

Is there a list ?

What's the final cost of this device ?

From the list you linked:

CMX512-3200C2PT________XMS3202 v5.1 0441050-2 = Winbond -5 Rev C

I also believe the list @stunned_guy maintains as he (or another users on his thread) owned the sticks which are listed there.

Regarding the FireRAM: I wrote @auto660 a PM asking about costs and availability... We'll see if it's still available.

Note that the OCZ booster wasn't compatible with A7N8X, but afaik worked on NF-7.

Edited by Tzk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tzk said:

I also believe the list @stunned_guy maintains as he (or another users on his thread) owned the sticks which are listed there.

That is the only result of the list , presented as Winbond and i believe it's a typo.

G.skill and Corsair had and still have a certain labeling system for their ram products ... they never alter their labeling.

Version X is always a specific manufacturer.

41 minutes ago, Tzk said:

Regarding the FireRAM: I wrote @auto660 a PM asking about costs and availability... We'll see if it's still available.

Note that the OCZ booster wasn't compatible with A7N8X, but afaik worked on NF-7.

I think I won’t be explaining how it works for him. But it needs a little more effort to make it work 100%.
He knows most of it. 

Earlier he gave some info in the Discord ddr forum (https://discord.gg/a8kqRS).

Based on his info I made a short info document earlier this year: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlqYyDbusnPEnXlOFHasmpxGv96M

Edited by Sparks.nl
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TASOS said:

Version X is always a specific manufacturer.

I also assumed that. However there are Corsair versions which got Samsung or Infineon (3200C2 v4.3 to name an example). Corsair also mixed chip manufacturers across different capacities and the same version numbers. My guess is that corsair simply soldered (almost) random chips in 2005 and onwards. This list is accurate:

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/corsair-xms-ddr1-ic-datenbank.1038384/

3 hours ago, Tzk said:

.... However there are Corsair versions which got Samsung or Infineon (3200C2 v4.3 to name an example). Corsair also mixed chip manufacturers across different capacities and the same version numbers. My guess is that corsair simply soldered (almost) random chips in 2005 and onwards. This list is accurate:

Everything is possible.

We can never really know or be sure about anything.

But to be honest , i give much more % in someone switching ram heatsinks to resell Corsair ram on Ebay .... than Corsair switching ram chips under the same label.

:)

Over the last ... lets say several years of buying ram on Ebay , when looking for BH5 and TCCD , i had at least 10 kit , where someone had used the the original BH5 or TCCD ramsink and sticker and the pcb inside was something else.

Same applies to DDR2 too , where for example buying Cellshock ram i found NANYA inside.

Anyway , there will always be scams on Ebay and other places.

P.S.

Last post of this kind , cause we messed up the thread.

Sorry.

:)

• Sad 1

I recap as wel. But oc is the primary goal. It is just junk if not using it where it was build for in my eyes. But then again, I always oc’d every piece of pc hardware I had. like for instance: Back then I only noticed that my PIII motherboard had a defective fsb selection when I wanted to sell it. My 550MHz cpu never ran on the 100MHz bus so only years after buying it I found out I couldn’t run it. It only ran on it’s maximum FSB setting...

Edited by Sparks.nl
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, 4n0nym0u5b3nch3r said:

Flashed some jank ass BIOS (Uber?) and now my 2600+ runs at 2.3 GHz with 1.75V, not bad I guess.

Make sure to use a psu with a huge 5V rail. A7N8X runs the cpu off the 5V rail... No clue why Asus thought that's a good idea. Regarding the bios: if there's a Trats bios for your board available, use it. It's way better than Uber. Also make sure the A7N8X is a v2.0. I wouldn't waste any time on v1.x boards as these won't run high fsb. And if it is, let us know. I modded a special bios for A7N8X (Deluxe) v2.0 which got tons of extra settings (Alphatimings, Drive Strength....) and tweaks in it.

Wait, what? Usually you can't mix A7N8X Deluxe v2.0, A7N8X Deluxe v1.x and A7N8X-E Deluxe. -E Deluxe is a bit different to the non-E versions, v1.0 got 256kb bios rom, v2.0 got 512kb bios rom.

So if:

• you got a A7N8X Deluxe v2.0 then use a Dlx v2.0 bios
  • you got a -E, then use -E bios
  • you got Deluxe v1.0 then use v1.0 bios
  • you got A7N8X-X, then use a 512kb Chip and the A7N8X Deluxe v2.0 bios (yes, that works :D )

I also got a -E Deluxe which fails to reach above 208Mhz. It's a newer board made in 2005 (serial number on top of LPT port starts with 5C). In general you should be able to reach ~230Mhz of FSB without mods if the board is decent. Make sure to not use UTT Winbods sticks, but Samsung, Hynix will work great. Especially in 256mb singlesided. Avoid Infineon 1gb CE sticks, had no luck with these... Nforce 2 is very picky when it comes to ram.

Besides that, make sure to keep FSB and ram on 1:1 divider and use a Cpu which isn't multi-locked (so older than week ~35 2003 or mobile). Also make sure your psu got plenty juice on 5V, at absolute minimum 20amps as the cpu runs off it.

And last but not least: A7N8X Deluxe v2.0 or -E DLX usually sell for 30€ max. in germany, not much more. Those boards aren't expensive at all... I got my last board for 15€ shipped.

• 3 weeks later...

The -x will Work with a 512k bios Chip and the a7n8x (Deluxe) v2.0 bios. Else theres only trats mod bios. I've yet to try If the deluxe bios enables Dual-Channel. Post reports it, but i need to verify with benchmarks.

Edited by Tzk

A while back you guys told me that Infineon 6A is BH5. 

I have got myself a kit of Infineon 6B and this seems to be CH5/6. I was wondering if you guys noticed this as well? 

685A994F-6E41-4812-A4B5-231D75D4A62A.jpeg

FD3CDBA5-C9BC-4393-B184-D965F0C24286.jpeg

66136333-5C37-4C77-BDDA-E48057BD1467.jpeg

I was also wondering if you guys got your info about FireRAM. 

Edited by Sparks.nl

10 minutes ago, Mr.Scott said:

Who told you that?

They may be similiar in OC characteristics.....sometimes, but they are definitely not the same product.

Infineon 6A is defenitly the real deal. Why: the same dots on the ic’s, the same markings on the long side. Only Winbond has them. 
You can see them on my photo’s as well. Only: mine boot Cas 3 so this is CH5/6. And they are scaling on voltage. 

I made a study of the marking on the ic’s and they seem to be unique for at least Samsung and Winbond and some other brands. You don’t need to see the text Winbond on them. They can be recognized even if the text is different on the ic’s.
Take these Kingston 266MHz, they have a Kingston label on them: BH5 running at 3.2v

E7BBC08C-BCB6-465B-878B-D17B33DA88A7.jpeg

Edited by Sparks.nl

9 hours ago, Sparks.nl said:

I have got myself a kit of Infineon 6B and this seems to be CH5/6. 

Yes, i know that. However this is a somewhat rare stick you got there. Usually BT-6 sticks are "real" Infineon. You can easily spot those by the 9 in the part number. Only relabeled infineon chips got it directly in front of the BT/AT on the part number. All "real" infineon sticks got a zero, AT and your BT got a nine.

Regarding the FireRAM:

I wrote a PM to auto660 here on the forums, but never got a response. Not sure if he just forgot to answer or didn't want to... ;) Still there are some people on the german hardwareluxx forums which are interested in purchasing one, of course depending on the costs.

@Mr.Scott

We investigated a lot of chips by their physical apperance. Infineon AT got the same metal fins sticking out of the short side of the chip as winbond. All other infineon chips look way different. AT-6 also got the same two round markings on them. AT chips won't boot at CL3, just like Winbond BH. Also Infineon got a joint venture with winbond back when AT chips were produced. AT-6 is Winbond BH, there's no other explanation.

I started a thread with a lot of detail pictures of ddr1 ram chips on the german hardwareluxx forums. You can compare a lot of chips over there:

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/der-ddr1-ram-chip-thread.1244468/

The user @stunned_guy even compared 130 infineon sticks and documented his findings:

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/der-ddr1-ram-chip-thread.1244468/page-40#post-27537381

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sparks.nl said:

Infineon 6A is defenitly the real deal. Why: the same dots on the ic’s, the same markings on the long side. Only Winbond has them.

Be careful, not only Infineon and Winbond used the flat dots on the ICs. ProMos also used them. The ProMos ICs are different in OC and they hate Voltage.

BT-6 RAM is a nice found!

kvr400x64c25_1.thumb.jpg.69cc0ac630000864fd39c3aa0fc611a4.jpg

kvr400x64c25_2.thumb.jpg.3ffe1f581ce295212a5f0d106729f2d0.jpg

1589223635818.thumb.jpeg.5ed1a717be759de1ae0cc49ee620dc48.jpeg

1589223650453.thumb.jpeg.93e0d266ab92e278afbf19907c91195f.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, digitalbath said:

Be careful, not only Infineon and Winbond used the flat dots on the ICs. ProMos also used them. The ProMos ICs are different in OC and they hate Voltage.

BT-6 RAM is a nice found!

kvr400x64c25_1.thumb.jpg.69cc0ac630000864fd39c3aa0fc611a4.jpg

kvr400x64c25_2.thumb.jpg.3ffe1f581ce295212a5f0d106729f2d0.jpg

1589223635818.thumb.jpeg.5ed1a717be759de1ae0cc49ee620dc48.jpeg

1589223650453.thumb.jpeg.93e0d266ab92e278afbf19907c91195f.jpeg

Thanks for the info. 
But: the 2 metal dots on the long side are a little smaller then with a Winbond dimm as far as I can see. 
Do those Promos also run C2-2-2-5?

Edited by Sparks.nl

12 minutes ago, Sparks.nl said:

Thanks for the info. 
But: the 2 metal dots on the long side are a little smaller then with a Winbond dimm as far as I can see. 
Do those Promos also run C2-2-2-5?

No.

The ProMos labled ICs do 2-3-2-5 / 200MHz / 2,7V;  2,5-4-3-8 / 218MHz / 2,8V

The Kingston labled ICs do 2-3-2-6 / 200MHz / 2,7V;  2,5-4-3-8 / 230MHz / 2,7V

They don't start >3,0V.

Edited by digitalbath