HWBOT Community Forums

Help wanted: fixing a Rampage Extreme

TaPaKaH

42 minutes ago, TaPaKaH said:

I get D5 with faulty memory. Maybe board A does not like your memory or the RAM slot(s) is/are dead.

?I got D5,13 and then full POST on all working boards. I tested dead mems in working board and got D4 or lots of postcodes switching fast.

• 3 months later...

yep, tantals are the best option to replace the fujitsu crap :) i like to use https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KEMET/T530X477M006ATE004?qs=r%2B%2FF0HTKyUcLhCoNF%2Bv0HQ== for memory and https://eu.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic/EEF-GX0E471R?qs=%2Fha2pyFadui%2FODXTv%2Fc0aeZAwW96RiBqHHpNWPFtmnCIPAqDWGVwrQ%3D%3D for cpu and nb because they are not so tall. if you are doing it right, it will look like this

:JPEG_20190512_222525.thumb.jpg.cbfe405a5426935da7b4813185df27cb.jpg

Edited by Gigelz
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

I sincerely hope that the entire design team of ASUS X48 boards catches a disease unknown to medicine and dies a slow and painful death in a country where euthanasia is illegal. Had two X48 boards in storage, one RE and one P5E3prem. Bought a CPU I wanted to test. Both boards show code 00 and don't POST with any CPU I try ...

• Sad 2

16 minutes ago, TaPaKaH said:

I sincerely hope that the entire design team of ASUS X48 boards catches a disease unknown to medicine and dies a slow and painful death in a country where euthanasia is illegal. Had two X48 boards in storage, one RE and one P5E3prem. Bought a CPU I wanted to test. Both boards show code 00 and don't POST with any CPU I try ...

We should build the rampage impact... the repaired board that i bought from you had also issues with 00 postcode during a session last weekend :(

Edited by Gigelz
  • Like 1

• Crew
34 minutes ago, ObscureParadox said:

Got a board here that hangs on 37 or VGA Initialization on the ROG poster. Am I right in thinking that the PCI-E was handled by the SB on these boards and hence that's probably my problem em area. 

No, as far as I know the PCIe for graphics cards was provided by the NB / X48 chipset, not the ICH / SB.

German Wikipedia confirms that.

1 hour ago, ObscureParadox said:

Got a board here that hangs on 37 or VGA Initialization on the ROG poster. Am I right in thinking that the PCI-E was handled by the SB on these boards and hence that's probably my problem em area. 

Try different vga's :)@Eisbaer798 and me had that problem few weeks ago and end up with the fact that some asus x48 boards doesn't like every vga card...

• 1 month later...

I had that issue, pushed both contacts here and there softly and now it works fine. Probably the contacts inside the battery holder are shortened with battery and sometimes one needs to bend contacts a bit.

Noticed today that one 16v capacitor near power button/usb headers is hot which is not normal. And that is definitely the capacitor itself as everything near it is cold. I think I will desolder it as I don't use those usb headers and that cap is probably belonging to usb as it is being hot even in standby.

Edited by TerraRaptor
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2019 at 6:50 PM, Gigelz said:

Someone here who has experience with a rampage extreme which doesn´t want to keep bios settings ? When i slide the battery in, voltage on that battery contacts drop to zero, indicates a short in that section to me...

found the issue with the help of @Coldwove :) the switch in the lower right corner is broken.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello friends. My capacitor has also broken. I will try to weld it too, but I have some doubts, to see if someone can solve them for me.
When welding where the positive and negative pole is placed?
How many of the connection circles must be welded?
Is it better to weld on the sheet or on the motherboard directly?
Why do you usually place 2 capacitors instead of 1 of 1000uf?
In case of putting 2 Is it better that they are 500uf?
I have thought that if you place 2 because of the need for more connection points, maybe modifying one of 1000uf with two cables can be useful?
I found this capacitor, it is 1000uf and it seems quite small, but it does not specify how much volts it supports. Do you think it's a good option?

https://www.brecklandscientific.co.uk/ELK-450-200-p/elk-450-200.htm

Outside terminals (DOTS) are POSITIVE, inside terminals (STRIPS) are NEGATIVE.

It should be fine to get same capacity of 1000 uF. I have 4500 uF soldered with no effect over 1000 uF.

When using several caps you reach lower overall ESR which is good. Also, resonance frequencies differ between several caps and that may have some positive effect in very specific circumstances.

Any cables affect ESR, the shorter the connection the better. 

The cap on your link is some kind of educational one with no description and you better skip it. 

Look for tantalum caps, rated 6.3v (G rating) - these are small enough to solder 2-3pcs of 330uF on board directly and still fit the space below mb cooler.

@Yoshiaski make sure you notice edit - outside is positive, inside is negative.

Edited by TerraRaptor
  • Thanks 2