HWBOT Community Forums

ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega

As most of you know, ASUS released a new beast based on x299 chipset that looks like an improved hybrid of VI Apex & VI Extreme.

Screenshot_1.jpg.ce08e1ca59591f0d8aaa8fb3dd390680.jpg

Before we continue, have a look on Elmor's guide for R6A since most of the stuff remain unchanged.

Main changes

First of all its a 4-dimm motherboard that has no issues running 4k+ 12-11 tight on air without any kind of voodoo/magic. :) 
Using the b-die profile makes everything super easy and we were able to run both A1 and A2 mem kits without any issues.

Also, as you can see below the power delivery got upgraded as we now have double the amount of VRMs we had on Apex :D 
2131433447_VRMs-Copy.thumb.jpg.9ced8545ed9ee25f331474ce5ea9821c.jpg

Original heatsink now also has 2 fans to assist with cooling whenever load is high.
724775381_DSC_0821-Copy.thumb.JPG.b43cf72cf902cbb7eeac9eae5bdec224.JPG

Running on LN2:

As mentioned above, you can refer to Elmor's guide to get things started and have an idea of what voltage does what and what the ranges/suggestions are.
Overclocking a power hungry chip like the i9 9980XE was like a walk in the park and no issues (so far :D ).
A nice baseline follows:
- Just disable the ordinary power saving/cpu features and the devices you might not need. To disable RGB etc use stealth mode that can be found on the devices tab.
- Set LLC to level 6, VRM current capability to 240% and whatever else you like to adjust for xoc.
- vCore 1.47~V is what worked for both the 7980XE and 9980XE we tested but keep in mind that some benchmarks and chips will need less/higher vCore to max out.
- Input voltage: 2.1~v is what we used for most of the chips we ran and had no issues running from 5.5 (retail 7980xe) to 5.9+ GHz.
- Cache voltage: 1.3~V is ok to run cache at 3.8-3.9 on our cpu. You can try higher if you see scaling.
- SA/IO: 1.20-1.25~V on both works fine for 4k+ quad channel.

Note: LN2 switch isn't necessary. We could run using the above voltages and have LN2 switch disabled without issues.

The above voltages are more of a baseline and tweaking is needed to max out your cpu, cache or mem freq!

In case you remove the OLED display that comes mounted on the heatsink, you can use OC Panel or Roman's debug tool to check the post codes.
Here is the R6 OC Pack that contains most -if not all- of the stuff you might need.

Will post more if we find anything that might help. :)

Edited by FireKillerGR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for the OC pack link.  A good version of Turbo V is always appreciated.

The pack contains OC panel firmware, presumably for the R6 Omega.  However, the board does not have an OC Panel connector.  How does one use the OC Panel with this motherboard?

• Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 2:13 PM, jab383 said:

Thanks for the OC pack link.  A good version of Turbo V is always appreciated.

The pack contains OC panel firmware, presumably for the R6 Omega.  However, the board does not have an OC Panel connector.  How does one use the OC Panel with this motherboard?

It actually has but it isnt the full length port as it was in the past. Its located in the bottom right side

• Like 1

Thank you for the response, FireKillerGR.  That's more than I'm getting on the ROG forum. 

At the bottom right of Omega pictures on the ASUS site, I see a front panel connector, two chassis fan headers and the "ASUS Node" connector.  Does the OC Panel connect to the "Node"?  It does not appear to be keyed the same nor will the larger OC Panel plug fit that header.  Is there a new cable?  Most telling to me is that ASUS does not list OC Panel capability among the Omega's (nor Maximus XI) features in any documents including the user's manual.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jab383 said:

Thank you for the response, FireKillerGR.  That's more than I'm getting on the ROG forum. 

At the bottom right of Omega pictures on the ASUS site, I see a front panel connector, two chassis fan headers and the "ASUS Node" connector.  Does the OC Panel connect to the "Node"?  It does not appear to be keyed the same nor will the larger OC Panel plug fit that header.  Is there a new cable?  Most telling to me is that ASUS does not list OC Panel capability among the Omega's (nor Maximus XI) features in any documents including the user's manual.

Yes thats the connector. New cable is required and oc panel will work with z390 mobos as well (gene at least has support for it)

max1024,  I'm using the x299 Dark now and haven't had any issues with it's VRMs. I've also used the Rampage VI Apex, but can't say that I had no VRM issues there.  X299 Dark experience compared to the specs of the Omega, the two motherboards come out about equal.  Both have 16 phase VRMs and both have 25 mm fans to circulate air over VRM heatsinks.

Although presented differently in the user interface, both BIOS are about as useful for overclocking CPU and RAM.  ASUS provides some pre-tuned memory profiles that may be an advantage.

For me, I prefer the Rampage VI Omega (as far as the specs and FireKillerGR's post can inform me) because the X299 Dark lacks SafeBoot and Retry buttons, a slow mode switch and any functionality like the OC Panel for external OC control.  I notice that EVGA is catching up on the Z390 Dark by adding SafeBoot and slow mode.

• Like 2

On 1/21/2019 at 9:21 PM, FireKillerGR said:

Yes thats the connector. New cable is required and oc panel will work with z390 mobos as well (gene at least has support for it)

where I can find the new cable for the oc panel?

Edited by gkmltd

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...