HWBOT Community Forums

Poll - competition points for career league

Should the career league include competition points?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Should the career league include competition points?

• No, as new members can not possibly compete with existing members as the competitions are closed
    • Yes, but limit to 5 highest points
    • Yes, but limit to 10 highest points
    • Yes, but limit to 30 highest points
    • Yes, but limit to 10 highest competitions points of this year (same as seasonal)
    • Yes, unlimited

Well as I said with globals versus HW, the maximum point totals for each type of points should balance out so that you need to max out all three to rise up the rankings.

So if some people have 5x 250 pts for live competitions they would have a 1250pts boost over someone who hasn't (or couldn't) compete.

Obviously there needs a balance somewhere, but the points are insanely high compared to any other point values.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Noxinite said:

Well as I said with globals versus HW, the maximum point totals for each type of points should balance out so that you need to max out all three to rise up the rankings.

So if some people have 5x 250 pts for live competitions they would have a 1250pts boost over someone who hasn't (or couldn't) compete.

Obviously there needs a balance somewhere, but the points are insanely high compared to any other point values.

...but the points are insanely high compared to any other point values.

I think that the word insane is very soft :)

250 points is a point value that we must never-ever see again, however difficult a live comp is. I have extremely good friends in the field of live competitions, I have discussed

with them for hours and hours.

Yes, they deserve to have a significant bonus, but at rational levels - 250 is way-way overestimated reward for their efforts.

And TBH, whether they like it or not, they already get enough bonuses.

Free trip to exotic places, free stay, tons of gifts from vendors only for participating and a hefty amount of money if they win.

You can't have it all folks - give the rest of us mortals a break.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Mr.Scott said:

Career should be unlimited. That is the whole point of career. You need to put in the time. Noobs included. Nobody gave the long timers a free ride.

That's entirely unfair. There were many competitions in the past that new people are incapable of participating in and receiving points from, so you're basically just allowing people who've been here since 2006 like thousands of extra points that literally no one else can ever get. I think competitions should make an impact, but there needs to be a cap so that new people can eventually be competitive, by putting in the time, in new competitions that they are capable of participating in.

Edited by Cautilus
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, Cautilus said:

That's entirely unfair. There were many competitions in the past that new people are incapable of participating in and receiving points from, so you're basically just allowing people who've been here since 2006 like thousands of extra points that literally no one else can ever get. I think competitions should make an impact, but there needs to be a cap so that new people can eventually be competitive, by putting in the time, in new competitions that they are capable of participating in.

It's CAREER. Career has no time limit.

Eventually the old timers will be done and the noobs will have the same time put in to catch up.

You seek instant gratification and that shouldn't happen in Career. You can't erase the past to let noobs 'catch up'. Name any other sport/hobby that that happens in.

Edited by Mr.Scott
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Mr.Scott said:

Bullshit

All sports have career stats.

Yes.  For meta-analysis.  If manchester united is having a terrible season you don't say they're still the best at football because of their 1998-1999 season performance.

I'm all in favour of a high cap, for the totally different reason that it makes it worth competing for newer people even if they don't expect to do well, but unlimited for competitions is just stupid.

Edited by mickulty

10 minutes ago, mickulty said:

Yes.  For meta-analysis.  If manchester united is having a terrible season you don't say they're still the best at football because of their 1998-1999 season performance.

I'm all in favour of a high cap, for the totally different reason that it makes it worth competiting for newer people even if they don't expect to do well, but unlimited for competitions is just stupid.

You are talking seasonal now. It's not the same as career.

Plus, your Manchester team is not being stripped of points they have already earned in previous seasons.

Edited by Mr.Scott

4 minutes ago, Mr.Scott said:

You are talking seasonal now. It's not the same as career.

I'm talking the ranking that matters, which for most sports is single seasons but for OC is career.

If you were to start treating career stats in OC like in sports in order to justify an advantage based on account age, you'd have to also take the rankings off the front page and off people's profile pages, instead hiding them behind a tab on profiles like hardware library.  I don't want that, because I value the fact that old scores aren't discounted just because they're old.

The wording of the "No" option is subjective while the "Yes" options aren't. It also fails to understand the 12 month rolling competitions schedule which was the basis of the Rev. 7 points system. 

So not only does this poll have a bias, the bias is also formed from an incorrect understanding of the facts. I'm just glad Yes is winning regardless. 

• Like 1

NO!!!

So I entered a a comp put up some kickass HW & G Points and won the comp, Globals disappear over time as well as HW even more so if VGA slot is comparable with newer platforms. Comp points wouldn't change and in the beginning you'd be awarded three times for the same bunny subs. Sounds more like a bunch of government bureaucrats on how to stack the tax codes.

• Crew
9 hours ago, GeorgeStorm said:

Regardless of the outcome of this poll I agree the way points are allocated to competitions needs to be seriously looked at.

I'm with George on this, While I agree comp points should count towards your career pool they do need to be looked at, one suggestion was to base them along the lines of how HWpoints are done, more participation/users = more points which I think would be pretty good, I've no idea how hard or easy that would be to implement.

As for the amount, Comps are different to anything else on here as they are only open for a limited time so I think capping the amount of comps that count is good, I personally voted for the ten best comps, counting all of them would be unfair for the people that weren't around then, We don't want makes things unattainable to newcomers or even those that have been around for a few years.

Now if HWBOT had access to a DeLorean....

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr.Scott said:

Career has no cap, except the end of said career. I can't put it any simpler than that.

I personally don't care if you artificially cap comp points, but don't call it 'career' then, cause it ain't.

My career extends past your cap, so does most everybody's. 

So... are you calling for no cap on the number of subs attracting globals or hardware points that count?  No-one is suggesting a time limit for competition points after all...

• Members

Hwbot has always (as far as I'm aware) put a limit on the number of submissions that count towards your 'total', and removing that completely puts quantity over quality I feel.

I feel career is still a valid term to use as it indicates the difference compared to seasonal, but still following the same idea of only the top x results count towards the total. But feel free to suggest an alternative.

As a side note, comp points without losing them over time just unfairly helps those who have already done lots of comps, with things like novice nimbles and rookie rumbles happening very regularly as far as I'm aware with neither newer or older members being able to take part in those.

But keeping the 12 month limit on comp points kind of goes against the idea of career ranking, which to me implies a more constant ranking where you don't need to be active all the time to do well.

Edited by GeorgeStorm
  • Like 2