HWBOT Community Forums

Notable retired overclockers

unityofsaints

I have some good favorites links saved here from my researches couple years ago.

This is Kingpin first Ln2 overclock session, 05/16/2005:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?62691-Dothan-chilly1container-ln2&highlight=

His final phrase from the thread: "I'm so hooked on ln2."

14 years later and he is still hooked to it ?

Edited by Casanova

Not entirely sure the names of the Overclockers here, but interesting to see some of the early ERam / Super Pi stuff. Dates as far back as 11/19/97 and mostly inactive since 2006

Ele 15's Hut
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA000363/index.htm

Bulletin Board of Large Chopsticks?
http://www.oohashi.jp/c-board/c-board.cgi?cmd=one;no=3954;id=

Can't forget this either
2001SEADDICT.jpg.891c39fd1ce33b441a792c39ddf5960b.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/13/2019 at 4:21 AM, Ananerbe said:

I'm here.

Still overclocking? :)

On 2/20/2019 at 11:31 PM, knopflerbruce said:

I'm not really officially retired, just lost access to LN2, and need to get a few things sorted so I can get back to grinding some stuff again. I used to be a lazy student, now I work overtime almost every day, and keep getting involved in different projects that eat up most of my spare time.

That's good to hear. Is it hard to get LN2 in Norway? I have no idea, there is not really anyone else to ask as there is no XOC scene there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

@suzuki Thanks for the mention but I don't belong next to some of the big names of OC, I'm merely a hoarder, and I see there's less of those nowadays. I barely have any hardware left, but I will try and bench it before we part ways. Since I'm still a moderator, I will start by helping a bit on a daily basis. Also need a crash course on what's happened in the past 4 years :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, GENiEBEN said:

@suzuki Thanks for the mention but I don't belong next to some of the big names of OC, I'm merely a hoarder, and I see there's less of those nowadays. I barely have any hardware left, but I will try and bench it before we part ways. Since I'm still a moderator, I will start by helping a bit on a daily basis. Also need a crash course on what's happened in the past 4 years :)

Hello! Hopefully we didn't offend you in some way to make you magically leave for seemingly no reason. If you needed information, you could have contacted one of our three team captains.

Be well, hope it all works out for you..... 

Jon

4 hours ago, GeorgeStorm said:

Please stay on topic, there is no need to be abusive or negative towards other members. If it keeps happening I'll see if I can work out how to use the banhammer :)

Its about time. Do what you gotta do. I aint taking personal stabs from any one. Here or anywhere. :)

A lot of these guys are still active but their main concern is not posting results on hwbot. For example Opb still benches at Teamgroup, fugger does oc at xtremesystems, hiwa benches also but not posting here, coolaler does reviews and some overclock , i guess sofos still benches from time to time at gigabyte but not looking for records at hwbot. Poparamiro sadly is retired, one great overclocker that i am proud we had in our country. 

Beside matose and mosntru there are also micutzu and sang,  amazing overclockers back in the days in Romania:

https://hwbot.org/user/sang/

https://hwbot.org/user/micutzu/#mywall

I don't know if this notable list is a Hwbot past members only but, if it is allowed, i would like to suggest a few more.

It is not because they were not members here that their nicknames cannot belong to a oc notables list, overclock is much more than hwbot era only...

Suzuike Kazuhisa, nickname "KAZ", Born in Osaka in 1957, known for many experimental extreme overclock and hardware mods since 1995, he published a book in 1998 about hardware modifications for overclock and was a hardware reviewer for a japanese website, lost his track in 2003 (from my digging extreme overclock researches couple years ago).

One article from him, published in 2001: https://translate.google.com.br/translate?hl=pt-BR&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fascii.jp%2Felem%2F000%2F000%2F325%2F325439%2F

His webpage: http://kazuhisa-suzuike.my.coocan.jp/

Edited by Casanova
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 8 months later...

I'll tell you why I don't.

1 hwbot should be for end users not manufacturers playground.

2 I want to bench the hardware and benchmarks I want to bench not what POINTS dictate I have to bench to be "good" or "top 100"

3 I want a challenge....how long since I submitted a score? still rank 217? that's sad....

4 they flat out just burned me out. 1 can only do so much

5 I had to start benching intel even though my specialty and expertise was/is AMD.

Edited by chew*
  • Like 1

Everyone hates the manufacturers till they are supported by one :D this is nothing new here and is the goal of many. It just seems that samples now still go to the same people even if they aren't currently the most skilled. Perhaps that's the stagnation we are feeling. 

Edited by Splave

15 hours ago, chew* said:

2 I want to bench the hardware and benchmarks I want to bench not what POINTS dictate I have to bench to be "good" or "top 100"

3 I want a challenge....how long since I submitted a score? still rank 217? that's sad....

5 I had to start benching intel even though my specialty and expertise was/is AMD.

I see there still some raw emotions there but I'd like to chime in on a few points with regards to this and take it as you will.

1. I believe for the most part it is for end users now, there's no intel enforced XTU anymore and as far as I can see no hardware sponsorships forcing you to bench what you want.

2. By all means you can if that's what you want to do. The ranking systems and points are only what you make of it. It's a lot harder to get an old 775 first since people have had 12 years of benching those CPUs compared to say a 32Core global first today which you get almost automatically get a first just from participating. I personally don't care much for the points but understand those who do so again this is just what you make of it.

3. I believe the biggest issue is that systems like Ryzen and Coffeelake are just far too expensive and far too boring to begin to drag people into the XOC scene for them to want to push further. Pure multiplier OC is in itself easier and the game has become more about binning than it is about tweaking and testing, so hence a smaller competitive base.

4. Yup happens to the best of us, can't argue with that.

5. Was this due to sponsorship reasons on purely just to keep up with the leaderboards? I personally feel that if it's just for the points then that also would have caused your issue in point 4 since it becomes more of a chore than simply something you're doing for fun.

• Members
16 hours ago, chew* said:

Nothing is forcing you to bench certain things etc, if you don't care about points then bench whatever, if you do then you play the game, doesn't seem outrageous to me?

Also career ranking doesn't really stagnate that much if you have a decent base of submissions, so not that surprising you haven't dropped a huge amount, if you don't think it a challenge feel free to come back to grab #1 to prove your point :)

If you were having to bench intel for sponsorship stuff, then that's even less of a valid point :)

32 minutes ago, ObscureParadox said:

I see there still some raw emotions there but I'd like to chime in on a few points with regards to this and take it as you will.

1. I believe for the most part it is for end users now, there's no intel enforced XTU anymore and as far as I can see no hardware sponsorships forcing you to bench what you want.

2. By all means you can if that's what you want to do. The ranking systems and points are only what you make of it. It's a lot harder to get an old 775 first since people have had 12 years of benching those CPUs compared to say a 32Core global first today which you get almost automatically get a first just from participating. I personally don't care much for the points but understand those who do so again this is just what you make of it.

3. I believe the biggest issue is that systems like Ryzen and Coffeelake are just far too expensive and far too boring to begin to drag people into the XOC scene for them to want to push further. Pure multiplier OC is in itself easier and the game has become more about binning than it is about tweaking and testing, so hence a smaller competitive base.

4. Yup happens to the best of us, can't argue with that.

5. Was this due to sponsorship reasons on purely just to keep up with the leaderboards? I personally feel that if it's just for the points then that also would have caused your issue in point 4 since it becomes more of a chore than simply something you're doing for fun.

5. yep to gain recognition meant leader boards meant benching intel, not to mention there were those that claimed AMD blah blah blah so it was also to prove a point I was not a 1 trick pony.

Edited by chew*

2 hours ago, Splave said:

Everyone hates the manufacturers till they are supported by one :D this is nothing new here and it the goal of many. It just seems that samples now still go to the same people even if they aren't currently the most skilled. Perhaps that's the stagnation we are feeling. 

I am was still am but what I work on and what my goals are now are vastly different. I'm also usually late to party intentionally than the me first this is how to as I've been around long enough to know nothing is set in stone especially with ryzen and guides or info is better done on a more mature agesa.

I stopped posting scores while having manufacturer support so to each his own.

A lot go to unboxing/youtubers so I can't argue with that.

My other favorite is when someone hits the avg 24/7 oc forums posts a support thread then proceeds to show the board doing 12-11-11 1900 with clearly unsafe 24/7 voltages and calls it done. Here is what you won't be able to achieve for your 24/7 usage but i'm going to show it anyway and call it official support and I'm not going to dive into actually stability because its time consuming and boring I just wanted the free hardware with the least time invested. ACTIONS > WORDS.

Edited by chew*

Noob or advance overclocking is an individual personal experience, peeps can follow your oc settings or they can hate you because their hw can't do it afraid to jolt their hw with 'unsafe' voltages :) 

You don't have any obligation to show 24/7 'safe' settings or 1900 12-11-11@2Vram or think yourself as an influencer. It is free for all activitiy

It always for fun no more and no less, you can do it with ln2 and pocketed $10K at competition or you can spend $1K to find ram sticks that can do 5100 air...in the process.

Just do not make it so complicated

Edited by dumo
  • Like 3