• GT 1030 DDR4 Edition
    • Revisit GT 1030 gddr5
    • APUs
    • Other (Comment suggestion)
    • HD 5450
    • GTX 1050
    • GTX 1050ti

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/25/19 at 01:05 PM

Another year and hopefully another Cheapaz Chips. Unfortuneatly AMD and Nvidia have been neglecting the low end the past year so we don't have a lot of options. So far it looks like potentially we could do RX 550 or 560, GT 1030 DDR4 edition, revisit GT 1030 (PLZ no), or do something with APUs (there's no good mobos for am4 APUs so still would benefit from mods). I've created a poll, if anyone has any other ideas for potential hardware comment below.

Edited by yosarianilives

I voted APUs but dGPUs are more in the spirit of cheapaz because you can hardmod them. Something like GTX950 would be interesting, already cheap enough to be cheapaz but otherwise quite modern in terms of bench support etc. 

I don't know why the HD5450 is getting so much love, didn't we just have Freezer Burn? 

Edited by unityofsaints

Cheapaz seems to be drifting farther from the concept every season.  The GT710 was truly cheap.  The 1030 cost around three times that much.  Now the list has several models over US$140.  Cheap compared to a Titan, but not compared to the cheapaz concept.  That's where the HD5450 gets the love - back to the concept with a board I can get for US$45.  That's a price where I won't care if the magic smoke gets out. 

If repeating 710, 1030 and HD5450 don't suit, here's more of a list.  From the Microcenter web site, the cheapest boards are:  HD5450 1GB,  GT710 1GB, HD6450 1GB, GeForce 8400 1GB, followed by the 2GB versions of those and the R7 250 1GB --- all for under US$50.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

• Members
6 minutes ago, havli said:

Is price of the GPU alone really that important? To get competitive score you must have other equipment (CPU / MB / RAM / LN2 cooling) worth of hundreds $ at very least. So not very cheap anyway.

Yes since the idea of the comp is you don't need a super powerful cpu/mb/mem setup etc as the gpu is so limiting. So sure you can spend money on extra cooling, but the cost of entry should be very low.

• Like 2

I'm all for picking a cheap GPU for this comp, the 1030s last year were pushing the limit a bit.  $90 cards are substantially less disposable(for lack of a better word) than $25 cards.

One thing I'm worried about with HD5450s though is that they might be too slow.  GPUPi 1B was used in both S1 and S2 of cheapaz because it's an excellent bench for this comp, simple to run, scales perfectly, and it's almost entirely agnostic to the performance of the rest of the system.  Unfortunately no one's subbed it on a 5450 yet, but it looks like it could be a 30+ min bench.(Or impossible to run altogether)  That's too long IMO, especially on a comp where you're expecting lots of people to run DICE/LN2, potentially even for the first time.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Edited by niobium615
  • Thanks 2

What about the HD 7790 cards, or HD 7870s? Both scale well, can be bios modded, can be hard modded, and are able to be found <$50. Also, the gpupi issue shouldn't apply here.

1 hour ago, niobium615 said:

I'm all for picking a cheap GPU for this comp, the 1030s last year were pushing the limit a bit.  $90 cards are substantially less disposable(for lack of a better word) than $25 cards.

One thing I'm worried about with HD5450s though is that they might be too slow.  GPUPi 1B was used in both S1 and S2 of cheapaz because it's an excellent bench for this comp, simple to run, scales perfectly, and it's almost entirely agnostic to the performance of the rest of the system.  Unfortunately no one's subbed it on a 5450 yet, but it looks like it could be a 30+ min bench.(Or impossible to run altogether)  That's too long IMO, especially on a comp where you're expecting lots of people to run DICE/LN2, potentially even for the first time.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

I installed my 5450 pci but it is dead.

No video output

Edit: instaled a 8400gs and 9300ge white NV 342.01 drivers.

No double Precision on thé gpu's
A small list whit a lot of info, gpu's whit and whitoud double precision
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nvidia_graphics_processing_units
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_graphics_processing_units AMD need openCL 1.0 to work if i am not wrong

Edited by skulstation

5450 would be good, they really are cheap as chips and seem to be widely available (think they were in production to relatively recently, might even still be made?).  Could it perhaps also include the other Cedar rebrands?  So 6350, 7350, 8350, and R5 210.  That way there's more flexibility to maximise availability.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, macsbeach98 said:

Only one card model otherwise everyone just goes for the top model out of the list.

5450 are a dime a dozen on fleabay its not like there isnt enough to go around.

They're all the same clocks, except for the 210 which I think is actually a bit slower.  Shouldn't be any benefit to the other models other than maybe a little easier to get hold of for some people in some situations, especially if someone wants a job lot to bin.

Edited by mickulty