• GT 1030 DDR4 Edition
    • Revisit GT 1030 gddr5
    • APUs
    • Other (Comment suggestion)
    • HD 5450
    • GTX 1050
    • GTX 1050ti

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/25/19 at 01:05 PM

On 2/17/2019 at 7:19 AM, havli said:

Is price of the GPU alone really that important? To get competitive score you must have other equipment (CPU / MB / RAM / LN2 cooling) worth of hundreds $ at very least. So not very cheap anyway.

The point of my CAC competitions is to get the hardware as cheap as possible, and force people to learn two things.
1. Hard modding video cards
2. Efficiency of system.

I want you to go out, buy 3 cards, learn to mod the shit out of them, especially if you've never picked up an iron before, then learn to tweak your system to get every single point the card has to give. Ideally the benchmark choice should be entirely GPU bound as well, this isn't always easy, but we've pulled it off in the past. 

Ideally you guys out there in your local communities are encouraging guys to join these comps, and see what fun you can have with overclocking. Maybe you fry a couple of cards, thats all a part of the game, and why the cards should be cheap as possible to replace. We wanna see people thinking outside the box - coat your system in vaseline and leave it in the snow, run 6m of copper tubing into a slab of concrete you're putting down and run your system through that

I vote HD5450. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Okay, looks like we're gonna go with HD 5450. For benches I have a couple ideas for ones that should be gpu bound, mainly newer 3dmark. Although to make sure that the contest is not about cpu OC I think we should do like previous comps and set something like a 5 ghz quad core limit (I'd be open to allowing downcoring but for simplicity probably better to say only native quads). For benches I'm thinking that something like Skydiver, Unigine heaven (should be weak enough to not need xtreme), 3dmark 11 performance, or 3dmark06/05 although definitely comment with suggestions.

Also do we want to allow rebadges? On a hardware level HD 5450, 6350, and 7350 are identical. 

Vote here: 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, zeropluszero said:

I think its worth doing a quick test of these benchmarks to ensure that they arent cpu bound in anyway (do a test at 4g and 5g, should be obvious) BEFORE starting this competition. 

Well I know that all of the 3dmarks have a cpu portion, but I think if we stick to just graphics subscore that should help. As for Heaven, based on cheapaz 2018 we should be able to be reasonably sure that heaven will be fine since it definitely scaled a ton with gpu on the gt 1030.

Also I think people are grossly underestimating how incredibly slow the HD 5450, it's significantly slower than modern IGPs, probably even the past few gens tbh.

Edited by yosarianilives

18 hours ago, zeropluszero said:

I think its worth doing a quick test of these benchmarks to ensure that they arent cpu bound in anyway (do a test at 4g and 5g, should be obvious) BEFORE starting this competition. 

Good point, I'll do a test on the 3DMarks over the next couple of days with different CPU and GPU speeds etc and post the graphs for others to see :)

3 hours ago, ObscureParadox said:

Good point, I'll do a test on the 3DMarks over the next couple of days with different CPU and GPU speeds etc and post the graphs for others to see :)

Just to be sure. I think the benchmarks chosen are fine but we don't want to guess and then start the comp and have someone wipe the floor with a 7G CPU and air GPU because we didn't say they couldn't before they started.

• Like 1

HD6450 might a good alternative. Much faster than the HD5450 but basically same/similar price point. 

Seeing GROUP LOTS of 8 HD 6450's going for like $63-80. Basically $10 or less a card. Seems to have been a popular choice for pre-builts. 

Microcenter, Newegg, Amazon...etc seem to carry New Stock

Edited by richiec77

6 hours ago, yosarianilives said:

Also I think people are grossly underestimating how incredibly slow the HD 5450, it's significantly slower than modern IGPs, probably even the past few gens tbh.

Yeah, it's even slower than the GT 710 which was used for this a while ago. I sincerely doubt that the cpu is really going to make any difference for something this slow.

Maybe it's a bit too slow? Even vantage would only be running in the single digits.

2 hours ago, richiec77 said:

HD6450 might a good alternative. Much faster than the HD5450 but basically same/similar price point. 

Seeing GROUP LOTS of 8 HD 6450's going for like $63-80. Basically $10 or less a card. Seems to have been a popular choice for pre-builts. 

Microcenter, Newegg, Amazon...etc seem to carry New Stock

Thats fine, if youre living in US.
I think its also important to choose a card that is available worldwide. 

I dont think there's anything wrong with running a slow card, it'll make people work harder to get them into the double digits.

This is the CHEAP competition, fast gear is expensive

Edited by zeropluszero
  • Like 3

Looks like almost all details of the comp have been ironed out. How soon should we start? Do you guys want to target a start date of March 1 or will that be too soon? Perhaps start on April 1 so that people have time to start sourcing cards and modding supplies? We can also start in the middle of March if we don't want to wait a whole month, but seems cleaner for the comp to start on the first of a month and run for a month.

On 2/25/2019 at 1:43 PM, Leeghoofd said:

better take earliest mid of March or the 1st op April, so everyone can get the cards

Okay so looks like card will be all Cedar core's, benches will be  Unigine Heaven basic, and the graphics subscores of 3dmark11 performance, 3dm06, and skydiver. Cpu will be limited to 5 ghz. Comp will start April 1st. System pic required, please include pictures of all mods.

Any other rules we should add?