HWBOT Community Forums

2700k can post bios with high multiplier but not load windows at multi = 54

bolc

Hey :)

I am looking at this cpu and was hoping it would like to boot windows at high multiplier...

Vcore of 1.65 V ish, going from 53 to 54 in OS makes it freeze. Posting bios at 53 and booting OS is ok, posting bios at 54 (and above) is ok but as soon as the windows logo appears, the OS freezes.

Not many voltages to play with... I've increased Vcore and PLL a bit but no success.

Is there still some hope you think?

Cheers
++

Edited by bolc
  • Confused 1

• Administrators

Alerte RIP :o - full multiplicator is normally only applied as soon as the system enters windows, this means POST test is quite worthless to see what a cpu can do. You can play with voltages like io and sa as well, but I wouldn´t give hopes on much improvement

+1 to what websmile said

With Sandy Bridge the POST happens at CPU's default multi. The multi set in BIOS is applied during OS load. So your CPU simply can't do x54 at your setup.

You might be "lucky" and be limited by the temperature. However, clockspeed/multi walls with Sandy Bridge are quite firm and the best thing you can attempt is to see how far the BCLK goes using x53.

If you have enabled the Internal PLL Overvoltage, than it's game over. For easier testing leave just 2 cores active, so you have better chance to rule out voltage/temp.

I don't remember if there were CPUs which didn't need PLL Overvoltage enable untill x53, best I found myself were couple of x55 CPUs.

22 hours ago, I.nfraR.ed said:

If you have enabled the Internal PLL Overvoltage, than it's game over. For easier testing leave just 2 cores active, so you have better chance to rule out voltage/temp.

I don't remember if there were CPUs which didn't need PLL Overvoltage enable untill x53, best I found myself were couple of x55 CPUs.

booting was on 1 core :D

so I d rather test with PLL overvoltage enabled? forgot which bios setting i have...

spi booster wa son but i guess is meaningless here, will pout it off

will try the reset method too :)

thanks.