Jump to content
HWBOT Community Forums

Binning ddr1 memory tccd bh5


Recommended Posts

I just got a DFI NF4 ULTRA D and a few kits of tccd off ebay and am about to get 6 kits of Bh5 from various members on the forums. I am wondering if any one here is willing to share their experience of what timing and frequency is considered a very good kit and what is decent kit for both Bh5 and tccd memory ic's. Any and all help is welcome and appreciated. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Over the last few years I've tested something like 80-85 sticks of BH5. I usually start by checking the sticks individually for three passes of test #5 at 250-260-270-275-280-285-290 at 2-2-2-5, then match the sticks based on required voltage and voltage tolerance, and then proceed with testing 32M in OS at 250-260-270-275-280.
So far, only six sticks out of the 80-85 would pass test #5 three times at 285 2-2-2-5 with any voltage (usually, 3.70-3.80V), and only two would do it at 290 2-2-2-5 (usually, 3.90-4.00V). The same sticks would do 32M at 275-280 2-2-2-5, usually around 3.70V. All of these are 256MB sticks. Best 512MB ones do around 280 for #5 and 270-275 for 32M.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't tested as many modules, but I would aim for the numbers mentioned by Sam.

On s.939 usually I get to run 512MB modules at the 270-280 range. Most of the times in the 3.6 - 3.8V range, all tight.

512MB modules will give you and advantage in scores, but are a little harder to clock. For older platforms 256 modules are a must.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with the comments above.

Keep in mind that the quality of the cpu for socket 939 is crucial.

Also you have to test if a cpu with 512kb cache (instead of 1mb) is better for your memory testing.

An other aspect is the bios that you will use , to have the proper memory table for BH5 or TCCD.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, I.nfraR.ed said:

512MB modules will give you and advantage in scores, but are a little harder to clock.

True. The difference in 32M on 939 is around 3-4 seconds but 256MB sticks usually clock 5-10MHz better. So in the end I'm not even sure which option will be fastest. 

What is more interesting, is that cross-sided and single-sided 256MB sticks have the same performance. Maybe it's just me, but for the last 15 years I was living under a notion that cross-sided is always faster :D

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, TaPaKaH said:

True. The difference in 32M on 939 is around 3-4 seconds but 256MB sticks usually clock 5-10MHz better. So in the end I'm not even sure which option will be fastest. 

What is more interesting, is that cross-sided and single-sided 256MB sticks have the same performance. Maybe it's just me, but for the last 15 years I was living under a notion that cross-sided is always faster :D

I suppose it doesn't really make a difference if the number of IC's is the same, you have the same theoretical data throughput with number of chips and clocks etc.Maybe there is a slight difference in latency but I'm not so sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ObscureParadox said:

I suppose it doesn't really make a difference if the number of IC's is the same, you have the same theoretical data throughput with number of chips and clocks etc.Maybe there is a slight difference in latency but I'm not so sure.

Well if it acts like dual ranked ddr4 you may get a little bit more performance but from looking at the available info it does not look like it is going to be much different than single sided.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BTW, I have found one XS thread with some more info about possible clocks: https://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?276672-Winbond-BH-5-The-Final

 

So it turns out my result kind of matches what @TerraRaptor said - 270 2-2-2-5 3.3V.

PS: @Kotori's teamgroup xtreem (tccd) stick, that holds the current ddr record on the bot, scaled up to 3.7-3.8V IIRC, while mine was starting to show random crashes as soon as I give it 3.4+ volts.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/20/2019 at 10:55 PM, I.nfraR.ed said:

BTW, I have found one XS thread with some more info about possible clocks: https://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?276672-Winbond-BH-5-The-Final

 

So it turns out my result kind of matches what @TerraRaptor said - 270 2-2-2-5 3.3V.

PS: @Kotori's teamgroup xtreem (tccd) stick, that holds the current ddr record on the bot, scaled up to 3.7-3.8V IIRC, while mine was starting to show random crashes as soon as I give it 3.4+ volts.

Omg ! That's a scaleing from a tccd !! :O  Mines not showing much above 3.0 and starts to suffer at 3.2+. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...