HWBOT Community Forums

10th anniversary Country Cup ideas

Isn't this a bit early for an idea thread for Country Cup? Yes it is, if this was normal year, which it isn't because: 1) there's a plan to run CC a little earlier this year 2) It's the 10th anniversary of this great competition! Why not celebrate it in a special way?

Idea #1 

Make the competition 10 stages, one picked from each of the last 10 years (with hardware restrictions adjusted where appropriate). This could take the form of a poll or just a discussion thread, I'm not sure which way to go because a poll is democratic but with 10 questions could end up with a low number of votes. What do you think?

Here are the stages over the last 10 years (for reference):

Idea #2

This is kind of a "stretch goal" version of idea #1. Same deal, still 10 stages from the last 10 years but this time the winning team from each year can pick the stages. I know it could be a lot of work but I think it's kind of a cool way of deciding that is less likely to turn into a never-ending discussion. To make sure that one country doesn't dominate this process I further propose allowing each country only one pick and giving the second place / third place team the pick as appropriate.

i.e. the bolded teams in this list get to pick the stage from that particular year:

1. Romania
  2. Russian Federation
  3. Poland

2010:

1. Russian Federation
  2. Romania
  3. Bulgaria

1. Poland
  2. Greece
  3. Indonesia

1. Greece
  2. Poland
  3. Bulgaria

1. Australia
  2. Indonesia
  3. Germany

1. Australia
  2. Indonesia
  3. France

1. Australia
  2. Germany
  3. France

1. Greece
  2. Australia
  3. Germany
  4. Canada

1. Australia
  2. USA
  3. France

1. Australia
  2. Romania
  3. Ukraine

Looking forward to hearing your responses! Thanks to @Bilko for helping to come up with this concept :)

Edited by unityofsaints
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, zeropluszero said:

Idea #3
not making it in fucking December. 

10 minutes ago, Bilko said:

Either way sounds pretty cool, I think that Idea #2 is a little easier to get sorted (potentially) and I'm also in favour of Idea #3

I think it is already decided to do this comp earlier in the year, @Leeghoofd to confirm.

Edited by unityofsaints

14 minutes ago, Noxinite said:

You guys skipping straight to CC and ignoring TC? ?

they never do TC , CC is all that matters to them, a big piss up in adelaide for the CC is all it is 

Edited by ozzie
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Noxinite said:

You guys skipping straight to CC and ignoring TC? ?

Both TC and CC are still happening but I personally enjoy CC more and wanted to emphasise the anniversary so I made a thread. Feel free to open a TC one :)

Edited by unityofsaints

I know I’m new around these parts, but I kind of like option 1 over 2. 

You up could do individual polls that last a week or so for each round. That would give us our comps for each round.  The 10 rounds deal sounds good to me. 

I think option 2 would would probably be viable sooner, but I’m not sure how much say those who are newer to this vs those who’ve been around a while would get a say in what benchs are chosen. 

Whatever the masses choose I’m all game for. I’ll bench what I can and enjoy this community as much as I can. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ObscureParadox said:

Appreciate this Alby, anything to not spend more time with the family and racist grandparents over christmas is a bonus for me.

I dont want to spend time with my family either, but i'm obligated to.

I've been trying to get my wife to plan a holiday starting December 20th every year I think. Fucking hate christamas.

7 hours ago, zeropluszero said:

You're invited. 

thx for the invite zero, but honestly mate , SA beer??? ,, mate,  its like used washin up dish water , i love the place, city of churches, and beautiful churches, beautiful city, been there many times, west end beer .spew....?

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, yosarianilives said:

I enjoyed the dogpile stage, I don't know how much others would like to see it but I think a dogpile stage for country cup would be fun. Since CC tends to be memory type agnostic perhaps a gpu based dogpile with a dx9 bench like 3dm05?

Other than that I think a 32m stage, a gpupi stage, an igp stage, and a mixed core count stage (ie; amd 1-2-3-4-5-6-8 core wprime) would be nice to see.

• Thanks 1

Love the idea of reprising one stage from each previous year. 

Don't love the dogpile for CC. For TC it's fine - but I'd rather be able to spend a little more time on each score and have time to go cold on each than just dumping ambient score after ambient score into the comp just to cover enough ground.

• Like 3