HWBOT Community Forums

Are all mobile ES CPUs unlocked?

Guest Wasmachineman_NL

Hi, in fact there is very few ES/QS that are really unlocked on laptop, I know that like on desktop since sandy bridge you can increase the multipler by 4 bins (or sometime 2) on "high end" I7 but not unlocked, also for another exemple there is some 3720QM ES (special stepping) that are in reality 3920XM (unlocked multiplier and 8Mb of cache).

As far as I know on ivy bridge laptop we can overclock I7 37xxQM and 38xxQM by 4 bins (=400MHz more) and nothing on 36xxQM, then there is the XM cpu which are unlocked.

For C2D on laptop you can sometime use the intel "IDA" on some cpu which can increase the multiplier by one.

Guest Wasmachineman_NL
37 minutes ago, TheQuentincc said:

Hi, in fact there is very few ES/QS that are really unlocked on laptop, I know that like on desktop since sandy bridge you can increase the multipler by 4 bins (or sometime 2) on "high end" I7 but not unlocked, also for another exemple there is some 3720QM ES (special stepping) that are in reality 3920XM (unlocked multiplier and 8Mb of cache).

As far as I know on ivy bridge laptop we can overclock I7 37xxQM and 38xxQM by 4 bins (=400MHz more) and nothing on 36xxQM, then there is the XM cpu which are unlocked.

For C2D on laptop you can sometime use the intel "IDA" on some cpu which can increase the multiplier by one.

I already knew that the 38xx CPUs are partially unlocked, I had a 3820QM run at 4.1 GHz single core turbo.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few modern ES mobile CPU's (9th and 8th gen) none of them is unlocked.(even engineering BIOS doesn't help even thou everything is unlocked in it) However I have managed to unlock a few Haswell mobile chips in past using old uCode (there was a bug in old uCode which allowed to unlock Mutliplier beyond usual values). 

• 2 weeks later...