HWBOT Community Forums

The official BenchMate support thread

Leeghoofd

BenchMate 0.10 is finally here!

867958229_BenchMate0_10.1.thumb.png.2dd0f2e193c46e587a9b0d33f50dcb4b.png

New benchmarks, Splave's ColdbugMate, benchmark integration completely rewritten, full Windows 7 compatibility, an auto-updater, fancier result screenshots, 3DMark03/05/06 support with LOD, GODLOD, Triple Buffering, ...
You will love it, I promise.

There is over 3 months of full-time work in this release. I'm talking 12 hour days, next to no weekends, girlfriend pissed - the whole deal. The changelog has 53 (!) lines solely dedicated to new features, improvements and bugfixes. If you like my work, please consider to donate via PayPal or become a Patreon. Thank you! ?

Don't bench unprotected.

Download: https://benchmate.org/?v0.10.1
Changelog: https://benchmate.org/changelog.html?v0.10.1
Donate: https://bit.ly/2LQgc5S
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/benchmate

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Hi OCers,
@_mat_

2xQ:
Do I have to submit score manualy still for like Cinebech R15? Or it will be rewritten from Cinebench R15 with Benchmate Score?
Are we able to add manually GB3 and GB4 into Benchmate by add button below or is it totally out?

Thank You

Edited by ADVenturePO

List of thoughts:

I First run:

1. Ask for HWBOT Login
  2. Check machine specs, save them : CPU model / GPU model and Manufacturer / RAM SPD, amount, 
  3. Give this machine credentials "HWBOT Name_Number"
  4. Ask for: CPU Cooling type/ Graphic Card cooling type/ Disk Amount Manufacturer, Capacity: GB, Series:, Configuration: / Power Supply: Manufacturer, Capacity:  Watt , Series
  5. Save this Information under HWBOT Name_Number and in main startup information file.

II First benchmark: 

1. Ask if it's for Enthusiast League: If yes -> ask for picture(s) of the system. - save them In database under names: HWBOT Name_Number_PIC#
  2. Give those info to HWBOT every-time when a score of this machine is submitted.

III Every other run and submission:

1. Check machine specs, save them : CPU model / GPU model and Manufacturer / RAM SPD, amount and if there is one like it in Database choose specs from I.4 - if correct.
  2. If system Spec changed show values form I.4 with question of a possible change. Give there an option of changing picture

Hope you can find something interesting.

Peter

2 hours ago, ADVenturePO said:

Hi OCers,
@_mat_

2xQ:
Do I have to submit score manualy still for like Cinebech R15? Or it will be rewritten from Cinebench R15 with Benchmate Score?
Are we able to add manually GB3 and GB4 into Benchmate by add button below or is it totally out?

Thank You

Yes. HWBOT has not managed yet to integrate BenchMate correctly, because all legacy benches are apparently hand-written and do not support the submisssion API.

You can use BenchMate 0.9.3 and manually add GB. BenchMate 0.10+ does not support GB at all, as I won't get my ass sued over a benchmark that is developed by somebody who doesn't care about result validity or security to begin with.

If you do use an old BenchMate version, I recommend you run it on a different OS install. Mixing two BenchMate versions with bluescreens and instable processes will at some point result in some broken pieces of the old version lying around, that the new version can't remove. You will have to manually remove the BenchMate services then to be able to start the other version.

I'm looking forward to the day where Leeghoofd comes through with his promise to remove GB's points. After all this shit this has put me through, I have to answer questions like these on a daily basis. Please, enough is enough.

• Like 2

My deepest respect _Mat_.

We are all thankful for your effort.

Being a ten year old member, I have to point out though, that we ( the simple members who can't have any influence on decisions taken ), suffer.

Let me put it very simply. And this does not apply to GB versions only.

Personally I have bought all versions and have them licensed.

A fairly popular benchmark.

As was XTU.

As was PC mark 05.

Thousands of members ( like myself ), invested money and time.

And one day, for reasons beyond us ( the simple members ), a benchmark ( or more ) is obsolete and unknown number of submissions ( per member ), become pointless.

OK. Fair enough. I will not be the one to judge or make criticism on decisions.

But if next year the 2000 active members of 2019, drop to 1000, lets not be surprised.

My post does not have to do in the slightest with your efforts.

I was triggered by your last line that Albrecht promised to remove GB points.

I hope Alby chimes in and give an explanation if HWBOT really intends to do that.

Respect :)

HWBOT can and will decide for itself what's best.

My hands are tied with GB and not for the lack of trying. It was all already in there, working and as stable as it can be directly securing the inner benchmark executable and parsing its result. The problem is that whatever this goes next, if GB stays active it will always fall back to BenchMate being not able to handle it and therefore less useful as a solution to unify benchmarking.

I doubt that GB decides whether the bot can be successful or not. There are many very worthwhile benchmarks out there waiting to be tortured with developers happy to see them in good use and support them long-term. I know because GPUPI has been one of my happy places since it got added here. :)

GB is officially not one of these benchmarks (decided by the dev itself) and because of that it will end up the same having its points removed sooner or later. It will just hurt much more if it is later and without an announced transition period.

3 hours ago, _mat_ said:

I'm looking forward to the day where Leeghoofd comes through with his promise to remove GB's points. After all this shit this has put me through, I have to answer questions like these on a daily basis. Please, enough is enough.

Butthurt ridiculousness. Enough is enough. Get over it.

2 hours ago, _mat_ said:

GB is officially not one of these benchmarks (decided by the dev itself) and because of that it will end up the same having its points removed sooner or later. It will just hurt much more if it is later and without an announced transition period.

So you can execute your little vendetta? You know what? Leave me, and the rest of us out of that.

To that I'll add...the more I run BM the more I hate it. Bugs bugs bugs. One gets squashed...another pops up. I'm starting to strongly doubt it will ever work fully as intended. Making your pipe dream of having it be the standard for all HWBOT submissions just that. Might want to get off your high horse...before it bucks you off. Just sayin'...

Oh yeah...what I originally came here for. The bugs. It keeps spitting errors about a skewed timer with RTC enabled on W7 and any change in BCLK. So we can't OC with BCLK unless we use HPET? Is that the story...or what?

Edited by GeorgeStorm
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, MrGenius said:

So you can execute your little vendetta? You know what? FUCK YOU! Leave me, and the rest of us out of that shit.

It's not my vendetta. It could be a pipe dream though, but I like to call it a better future. As you please, your opinion is still welcome.

13 minutes ago, MrGenius said:

To that I'll add...the more I run BM the more I hate it. Bugs bugs bugs. One gets squashed...another pops up. I'm starting to strongly doubt it will ever work fully as intended. Making your pipe dream of having it be the standard for all HWBOT submissions just that. Wishful fucking thinking. Might want to get off your high horse...before it bucks you off. Just sayin'...

Oh yeah...what I originally came here for. The bugs. It keeps spitting errors about a skewed timer with RTC enabled on W7 and any change in BCLK. So we can't OC with BCLK unless we use HPET? Is that the story...or what?

Are we talking latest version, BenchMate 0.10.2? It is hard to say anything without a bug report. Please submit one so I can work on it. Otherwise this is not really of much use. I can't reproduce anything you say with the latest version on any of my available test platforms.

The number of submission out there in the field also tells quite a different story. And please ask anybody, I take every bug report as serious as possible and try to fix bugs as quickly as my time allows (this is still a hobby).

Btw, it is NOT MANDATORY to use BenchMate on HWBOT. If you don't like it, don't use it. Use Windows 7, you'll be fine.

Edited by _mat_
  • Like 2

Yes, 10.2. And I already submitted a couple bug reports.

Anything more than .02MHz BCLK OC with RTC enabled = QPC Skewed = unable to Save Result.

1600191662_BCLK1.thumb.PNG.5fd0268b9910bef43af2ecc22b7a8165.PNG

Why is GB 5 gone all the sudden? Like I don't already know why.

Edited by MrGenius
Try to keep things civil.

BenchMate 0.10.5 is available for download. ?

579614929_BenchMate-TimerEmulation.thumb.png.9003e4cc9f85f6f4d7e0101349c7728b.png

This is probably the last release for 2019 as I am as exhausted as one can be. It was a good year though, but as unhealthy as an out-of-control drug addiction. ?

I haven't announced the last two minor releases to spare you the hassle of too many downloads. But this one is very close to what I had in mind for 0.10 and fixes all known bugs, so please redownload for the best experience.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

@MrGenius

Thanks to your bug reports I could fix two problems. The QPC Skew "bug" led to an improved auto detection algorithm to restrict QPC usage in benchmarks depending on the hardware platform and OS used.

Additionally I've added the possibility to configure the Timer Emulation used for benchmarks. This is only available for all CINEBENCH and 3DMark versions as they depend on very fast timer facilities to avoid a negative impact on performance. Please check the changelog for more details: https://benchmate.org/changelog.html (see version 0.10.4)

The skewing of QPC on Windows 7 is actually not a bug! All Intel CPUs below Skylake will show wrong benchmark results if QPC is used for timing and QPC itself just wraps the CPU's TSC. The assumption that all is safe on Windows 7 was never justified. We are just lucky that most benches are so old, that they don't use QPC. Unfortunately that is not true for Geekbench 3, Geekbench 4 and Geekbench 5. Or for example the new Intel XTU 6.5. All of these benchmarks can NOT be benched on Pre-Skylake platforms on Windows 7. Same goes for AMD of course.

Regarding your statement on Geekbench 5, I've set these categories back to "Alpha" status, which hides them from HWBOT's benchmark overview page. There were only a handful of results and the whole category depends on the automatic submission by BenchMate, which is no longer supported.

Edited by _mat_
  • Like 1

Although I don't like to be told that I'm an a$$hole, it's much more important to make BenchMate as good as possible. He had good points, but a poor choice of words. A little respect goes a long way though. We're a community for christ sakes, let's act like one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ADVenturePO said:

Would you like me to report differences in results made through Benchmate and without it or you do not consider it a bug of any sort?

It's not a bug, security always has its performance penalty. Although there is next to no impact on most benchmarks, wPrime is different here. That's why I initially refused to add it, but got convinced by the popular vote.

wPrime is coded in Visual Basic 6, a programming language not suited for multi-threaded applications. To achieve threading it uses a COM object server, which actually starts two wPrime processes per thread to calculate and communicate the progress and result. The startup of these processes is part of the time measurement as well, so when you run wPrime you are also benching the COM object client spawning in addition to the normal workload.

To secure all these processes, BenchMate has to add a security layer to each process. This is normally done only once when the benchmark application is started. On wPrime with Threadripper this has to be done dozens of time. I optimized the hell out of this, but I can do only so much.

In any case, you can't bench wPrime with AMD on Windows 10, so you should compare it against a Windows 7 score.  According to the scoreboard it seems like Windows 10 + BenchMate is still winning.

Edited by _mat_
  • Like 1

@_mat_ Thank you very much for this long and very explaining answer.

I have another question though:
If I want to switch to BM 0.10.5 can I copy my results from old BM "results" folder to a new one? 
Will it create some problems or can I do It?

9 hours ago, _mat_ said:

To secure all these processes, BenchMate has to add a security layer to each process. This is normally done only once when the benchmark application is started. On wPrime with Threadripper this has to be done dozens of time. I optimized the hell out of this, but I can do only so much.

:)

Oh. You did a great job here _mat_.  
Sorry I'm just a guy from voltages, coolings and OSes -  I didn't knew as this whole AMD thing is kinda new for me. 

Cheers

------

Well I just can't delete those pics. :( I'm trying but they're there forever.

I wanted to paste copied text but I had this in the bucket. 
It had a delay, text didn't show - I pushed 3x CTRL+V - now I cant delete. So sorry for messing this conversation

The only way - make em small ;)

image.thumb.png.f0ff5f3238d6400aa70ad0059981e9a3.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by ADVenturePO
How can I delete pics!?!? Wohow

1 hour ago, ADVenturePO said:

If I want to switch to BM 0.10.5 can I copy my results from old BM "results" folder to a new one? 
Will it create some problems or can I do It?

Yes, you can move your old results into the new BenchMate installation.

You can always move/copy the following files to a new BenchMate installation directory. Close BenchMate first, then move/copy, start BenchMate again and all your benchmarks and results should up after restarting BenchMate.

Old-BenchMate\results\*          =>    New-BenchMate\results\
Old-BenchMate\config.json      =>    New-BenchMate\

Edited by _mat_
  • Thanks 1

I'm liking Benchmate better and better.  The major thing I'd like to see is support of more benchmark programs.  I've seen mention of x.265 and y-Cruncher and I'm a fan of both.

I had run most of the benchmarks in 0.10.2 and wrote up a bug report, mostly about memory management.  By the time I got here to post, there was 0.10.5 with the fixes.  You must be really addicted to this.

There is one thing I'm still seeing with 0.10.5:  Start SuperPi, options and tweeks don't matter.  Run - I did 1M and 32M both with the same results. Save results or not - no difference.  First run everything works and the SuperPi window survives.  After the second run in a given SuperPi window the score can still be saved or not - no difference. A saved score is done properly and I even submitted the one from the pictured run.  When the "completed" popup is closed the error shown in the attachment shows up and the SuperPi window crashes when the error is closed.  Happens every time at the second run in a given SuperPi window under Benchmate.  Running SuperPi from the .../apps/SuperPiMod folder without Benchmate does not crash in that way.

Operating system is Win 7 Pro 64 SP1.  Enabled services are severely trimmed, so a missing service might have something to do with it. 

screen011.jpg