Jump to content
HWBOT Community Forums
Leeghoofd

The official BenchMate support thread

Recommended Posts

This is well known. Old NVIDIA drivers want to inject code into the benchmark process, which is obviously a big no-no!

Fixes:

  • Use the latest NVIDIA driver if possible
  • Use a more recent NVIDIA GPU or an AMD GPU

The upcoming version has a fix for this and will not block the result, but still block the access to the process memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi,
I solved the pb by taking an AMD cg (5450) Obviously the problem comes from the driver too old for a bench mate but normal for a gtx 210 !

My deduction comes from reading the other members who have had problems  

 

Edit: 

Maybe specify it on the software download page. Reading the other requests I did not see clearly written that the use of old and aging drivers are causing problems. 

This is just rich member software lol

Edited by asmodee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The GeForce 210 was released in 2009. It is pretty normal for software to improve backwards compatibility to legacy hardware over time.

And as I said above, it is already fixed and will be available with the next version.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello guys! What is latest version of benchmate that support Geekbench 3? Needed it for benching on AMD with Windows 10. Because i download version 0.9.3 on somewhere it doesnt have geekbench in it. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, speed.fastest said:

Hello guys! What is latest version of benchmate that support Geekbench 3? Needed it for benching on AMD with Windows 10. Because i download version 0.9.3 on somewhere it doesnt have geekbench in it. Thanks!

0.9.3 is the correct version. Geekbench can not be included with the Benchmate software anymore. You can still install it into benchmate manually.

 

Once both programs are installed on the OS, open benchmate and navigate to the bottom left of the main screen. Click the + icon and navigate to the geekbench installation. Source the .exe and it'll now be present in benchmate

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This software  is junk with capital letters.

I know this sounds harsh but it is major failure in my point of view.

First of all i want to say that i am giving away 100$ cash for anyone that can remove this from internet or at least take the website down for at least a week.

Secondly, this made me consider retiring from benchmarking for the first time in 12 years, unbeliavable. Not even ryzen on cold, not even B-die benching, not even cracks when full-pot, nothing did the job except the amazing bench-banana-mate.

It makes absolutely no joy to bench anymore with this application.

Yeah, everything is nice and dandy, unicorns are pink and gooses are flying until this software will simply not work. 

And for the worst, you cannot debug anything at it, it works or doesn't you don't know why or how to replicate the issues.

Example, let alone the fact that if you are trying to run two versions on the same system for example 0.10.5 or 0.9.3 (for geekbench) you will have only issues. Which is weird because they are standalone, you won't install them competing for same registry or cache or whatever. 

 

Benchind amd ryzen 3 on windows 10, clean os, working benchmate. Few restarts and nothing works. Benchmate will start but no benchmarks will load, will be stuck at loading. Of course the benchmarks run if you start them on their own.  

So, i reinstall os and try again. Nope. Meanwhile i tried cleaning cache, temp files, prefetch, whatever , no go. 

I download a clean benchmate and try it, not working.

Final solution, new operating system with clean benchmate, finally it works.

Also i had many crashes from memory when geekebcnh was nice and stable. How come, i mean benchmate is harsher than geekbench or what?

 

Why do i have to do this? Why do i have to waste time and ln2 and etc for running a software on top of my benchmarks?

 

In my experience over time i found that eventually you can find answers to most common issues with benchmarks. Google it, this forum, ask a fellow overclocker, eventually you know what to do. But with benchmate, you are left blind and dumb, both at the same time.

 

My ranting stops here, i would rather pay for supporting hwbot, hire a full-time guy to check for cheaters and everything rather than use this junk. It gives issues most of the times, when nothing works you don't know what to do to fix it. While the idea is great, i hate cheaters  and i would send them to guilotine,  the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Sorry, i would rather hope that the developer can fix the issues by being annoyed at my post rather than praise the software when it doesn't work.  

Edited by Alex@ro
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Alex@ro said:

First of all i want to say that i am giving away 100$ cash for anyone that can remove this from internet or at least take the website down for at least a week.

Be my guest. A bounty to take down BenchMate's security is something I always wanted to do.

1 hour ago, Alex@ro said:

Yeah, everything is nice and dandy, unicorns are pink and gooses are flying until this software will simply not work.

It's an early beta version. You can contribute by posting your problems so I can fix them. This is pretty normal, especially with something that difficult like BenchMate.

1 hour ago, Alex@ro said:

And for the worst, you cannot debug anything at it, it works or doesn't you don't know why or how to replicate the issues.

Everything that is not security-related is logged to file. Check the debug log path inside the BenchMate directory.

1 hour ago, Alex@ro said:

Example, let alone the fact that if you are trying to run two versions on the same system for example 0.10.5 or 0.9.3 (for geekbench) you will have only issues. Which is weird because they are standalone, you won't install them competing for same registry or cache or whatever. 

It is well known that this doesn't work. You can thank the Geekbench dev for that, because 0.9 wouldn't even be available for download if it wasn't for his legal threat. But I didn't want to let benchers down, so I kept it online if you really need it. It was never meant to be used in parallel with other versions, so that is by design.

That said, the next version already supports to run different versions of BenchMate at once.

1 hour ago, Alex@ro said:

Benchind amd ryzen 3 on windows 10, clean os, working benchmate. Few restarts and nothing works. Benchmate will start but no benchmarks will load, will be stuck at loading. Of course the benchmarks run if you start them on their own.  

So, i reinstall os and try again. Nope. Meanwhile i tried cleaning cache, temp files, prefetch, whatever , no go. 

I download a clean benchmate and try it, not working.

Final solution, new operating system with clean benchmate, finally it works.

This sounds like you are mixing BenchMate 0.9 and 0.10. Don't do that! Use another clean OS to keep them separate for now.

1 hour ago, Alex@ro said:

Also i had many crashes from memory when geekebcnh was nice and stable. How come, i mean benchmate is harsher than geekbench or what?

No. There is next to no impact during a run other than measuring sensors (like GPUPI does). This was optimized for the next release as well to have even less impact for the work that is done.

1 hour ago, Alex@ro said:

Why do i have to do this? Why do i have to waste time and ln2 and etc for running a software on top of my benchmarks?

What happened with pretesting on air? Things should work nicely before you start with cold. This is the same process as it is with any benchmark, tweak, driver or OS install in general.

1 hour ago, Alex@ro said:

In my experience over time i found that eventually you can find answers to most common issues with benchmarks. Google it, this forum, ask a fellow overclocker, eventually you know what to do. But with benchmate, you are left blind and dumb, both at the same time.

I'm always happy to help as quickly as possible. Sometimes BenchMate is not even the issue, but that's fine with me. I help anyways.

1 hour ago, Alex@ro said:

My ranting stops here, i would rather pay for supporting hwbot, hire a full-time guy to check for cheaters and everything rather than use this junk. It gives issues most of the times, when nothing works you don't know what to do to fix it. While the idea is great, i hate cheaters  and i would send them to guilotine,  the execution leaves a lot to be desired. Sorry, i would rather hope that the developer can fix the issues by being annoyed at my post rather than praise the software when it doesn't work. 

Please do that. If it helps competitive benching, then it's a good thing.

HWBOT (as it is now) and BenchMate are two very different approaches to competitive benchmarking. HWBOT uses screenshots, CPU-Z started after the benchmark, uploading with manual form entry. That was always problematic to begin with, because the data to moderate scores is simply missing. So even if you have ten paid fulltime guys, you will fail. The concept is flawed, but without any universal alternative it had to make due.

BenchMate however tries to create a new workflow similiar to that of Geekbench and 3DMark, but for every benchmark out there. This even works for benchmarks that are not supported anymore. Time measurement, process memory protection, result saving and uploading - these features are hard to do and very time consuming. With BenchMate's eco system the benchmark developers can simply use the actively supported infrastructure and focus on the workload. Is that hard to do? Fuck yes. It's a nearly impossible, non-trivial task. Security alone is hard enough, but BenchMate needs to be fast as well to have no impact on benchmark performance. So the only thing I need to ask for is patience so I can make it happen.

I like feedback. Good, bad, ugly, it's all fine to me as long as it helps to improve BenchMate in the long run. To me it just seems that you have mixed 0.9 and 0.10 to make Geekbench work, which is no longer officially supported. Neither is version 0.9.

Edited by _mat_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bro it's not that hard to use benchmate 🤣🤣 what are you doing over there.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have the mix and match issue on Intel, only AMD. I do however just use two separate OS for AMD and its no big deal. One for 0.9.3 w/ Geek(only things on OS), and one that has everything else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand how people can afford thousands for benching but can't afford $20 for an extra ssd. Especially when you're already making acronis images for your os etc it should be stupid ez to copy os from one ssd to the other and install benchmate afterwards. You need to reboot for geek anyways cause different mem settings vs other benches so not like it's an issue to swap ssds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Alex just needed to vent, its okay to be frustrated. Think the big issues is geekbench not allowing support. Really sucks and still a move that I dont understand by the dev but it is what it is. 

I am curious about the stability issues, I have yet to encounter that but I haven't benched much AMD. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Splave said:

Really sucks and still a move that I dont understand by the dev but it is what it is. 

I do understand it. Soon every benchmark will have a result database that is much better than the Geekbench database. Better integrity/quality, better hardware detection, nice graphs, screenshots. And it costs ... nothing. ❤️

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, _mat_ said:

Be my guest. A bounty to take down BenchMate's security is something I always wanted to do.

It's an early beta version. You can contribute by posting your problems so I can fix them. This is pretty normal, especially with something that difficult like BenchMate.

Everything that is not security-related is logged to file. Check the debug log path inside the BenchMate directory.

It is well known that this doesn't work. You can thank the Geekbench dev for that, because 0.9 wouldn't even be available for download if it wasn't for his legal threat. But I didn't want to let benchers down, so I kept it online if you really need it. It was never meant to be used in parallel with other versions, so that is by design.

That said, the next version already supports to run different versions of BenchMate at once.

This sounds like you are mixing BenchMate 0.9 and 0.10. Don't do that! Use another clean OS to keep them separate for now.

No. There is next to no impact during a run other than measuring sensors (like GPUPI does). This was optimized for the next release as well to have even less impact for the work that is done.

What happened with pretesting on air? Things should work nicely before you start with cold. This is the same process as it is with any benchmark, tweak, driver or OS install in general.

I'm always happy to help as quickly as possible. Sometimes BenchMate is not even the issue, but that's fine with me. I help anyways.

Please do that. If it helps competitive benching, then it's a good thing.

HWBOT (as it is now) and BenchMate are two very different approaches to competitive benchmarking. HWBOT uses screenshots, CPU-Z started after the benchmark, uploading with manual form entry. That was always problematic to begin with, because the data to moderate scores is simply missing. So even if you have ten paid fulltime guys, you will fail. The concept is flawed, but without any universal alternative it had to make due.

BenchMate however tries to create a new workflow similiar to that of Geekbench and 3DMark, but for every benchmark out there. This even works for benchmarks that are not supported anymore. Time measurement, process memory protection, result saving and uploading - these features are hard to do and very time consuming. With BenchMate's eco system the benchmark developers can simply use the actively supported infrastructure and focus on the workload. Is that hard to do? Fuck yes. It's a nearly impossible, non-trivial task. Security alone is hard enough, but BenchMate needs to be fast as well to have no impact on benchmark performance. So the only thing I need to ask for is patience so I can make it happen.

I like feedback. Good, bad, ugly, it's all fine to me as long as it helps to improve BenchMate in the long run. To me it just seems that you have mixed 0.9 and 0.10 to make Geekbench work, which is no longer officially supported. Neither is version 0.9.

Who said that i don't pretest on air? You can imagine i do , i buy ln2 for 2$ per liter so it is not cheap to bench sub-zero. That's exactly my issue, that i pretest and all works , go ln2 and after a few crashes i have to have a new os. And yes i have image lol, thing is with damn ryzens you need to go higher on temp and be very safe otherwise image corruption has a high probability. 

 

No, i don't mix bench-mate versions anymore. The thing is that i started clean, exactly fresh version of window and bench mate 10.5 . It worked, then it didn't. Then i put new os with same bench mate , didn't ran. Download new version, didn't work. New os plus new version works. After few crashes here we go again. 

 

And to be honest you are overdoing it. I mean how many people can temper with benchmarks the way you think they do? As far as i know so far we had few scammers but most of the issues were photoshop related. And those who altered anything else were caught by the sharp eye of the optician- Splave :D  So i am sorry, i don't have the time to search and think for cheating solution, i want to actually bench and enjoy the process not getting stuck by whatever bug of a over-zealous programmer.  

Let me be clear. I respect your work in the way that it's free and you are trying to improve things in order to be cheat-secure. That's awesome! However when you impose things, like bench mate mandatory for certain platforms and your app creates issues, you know what to expect. Ryzen3 sub-zero issues, b-die issues and on top of that bench-mate having issues, oh boy, hell of a benching experience....NOT. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Alex@ro ( Alex ) is making a case of a broader issue that has moved many benchers to the sidelines or even total stop ( myself included ).

For the broad masses and not only top LN2 benchers, the hobby was primarily meant to be fun.

We all have our lives, obligations and time is kind of restricted for this hobby ( a very demanding hobby ).

As everything in life that is done for fun, when fun diminishes because third party problems-issues arise, people start asking questions. 

And at some point, people start looking for other types of hobbies to have fun with, that do not involve so much stress.

No blame game here from me.

But if HWBOT really wants to avoid further loss of benchers and wants to attract new ones that do not simply put XTU subs on laptops, things must become simpler.

How ?

I do not know.

What I know is that it is not fun anymore, unless some wake up and sleep only with benching in mind, whatever the cost of money and stress.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alex@ro said:

No, i don't mix bench-mate versions anymore. The thing is that i started clean, exactly fresh version of window and bench mate 10.5 . It worked, then it didn't. Then i put new os with same bench mate , didn't ran. Download new version, didn't work. New os plus new version works. After few crashes here we go again. 

There is without a doubt a solution for that. Please send me the log files (whole BM/logs directory as zip) so I can look into it. You can also use the BugReport.exe tool in BM's directory if the system is online.

You are ditching a new take on benchmarking because of a single bug of an early beta version. If any software developer would stop working on something because of that, the world would not have a single software product. You really have to distinguish between flaws in the concept and the implementation.

1 hour ago, Alex@ro said:

And to be honest you are overdoing it. I mean how many people can temper with benchmarks the way you think they do? As far as i know so far we had few scammers but most of the issues were photoshop related. And those who altered anything else were caught by the sharp eye of the optician- Splave :D  So i am sorry, i don't have the time to search and think for cheating solution, i want to actually bench and enjoy the process not getting stuck by whatever bug of a over-zealous programmer.  

Let me be clear. I respect your work in the way that it's free and you are trying to improve things in order to be cheat-secure. That's awesome! However when you impose things, like bench mate mandatory for certain platforms and your app creates issues, you know what to expect. Ryzen3 sub-zero issues, b-die issues and on top of that bench-mate having issues, oh boy, hell of a benching experience....NOT. 

Ah, here wo go again. Screenshots are so great, manual input of results is really efficient, nobody is cheating, the future of overclocking is bright! I've heard it all before and watched it quietly while supporting GPUPI for many years here. HWBOT is already bending backwards to manage the situation with the tools at hand. Platform/OS matrix with has to manually checked by the mods against timer skewing? Seasonal ranking needs a text editor open or a certain version of CPU-Z? Beginner's scores are often removed due to the complexity? Benchmarks and results have to be removed when a flaw is found (if it can't be verified that it's valid, it has to be assumed it's not)?

When will we realize that we at least need an alternative that's being worked on in parallel to tackle these problems FOR THE FUTURE. I'm not saying that BenchMate needs to be mandatory right now (or maybe ever) here on the bot. But I am saying that it's unwise to not explore (over-zealous) solutions, that would allow benchmarking and overclocking to reinvent itself.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/5/2020 at 4:28 PM, _mat_ said:

This is well known. Old NVIDIA drivers want to inject code into the benchmark process, which is obviously a big no-no!

Fixes:

  • Use the latest NVIDIA driver if possible
  • Use a more recent NVIDIA GPU or an AMD GPU

The upcoming version has a fix for this and will not block the result, but still block the access to the process memory.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, _mat_ said:

 

oh ok thx, I searched for "violation" in this thread, but it did not come up. Well, at least now it does :D

Can you give an eta of the fix version or would you recommend I order a newer gpu?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, _mat_ said:

What GPU are you currently using?

Quadro FX 560, just something that puts out display and fits in pcie slot I thought, but after not being able to run realbench, this is the second limitation I found for CPU benching with this gpu 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest driver release is R302 from 2012. Also no Windows 10 support.

It will work with the next release, but that will take at least another two weeks or so. We are working very hard on it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@Leeghoofd @mllrkllr88

David found a method to create verified results of a 7980XE @9 GHz with BenchMate 0.8.1. As these very early versions are severely worse in terms of security and bugs, I would advise to only allow results made with BenchMate 0.9.3 and greater. 

(They are used 99% of the time anyway.)

Edited by _mat_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well not better if we impose v10. X for anything besides benches from that one vendor Matt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...