HWBOT Community Forums

WTB budget SS

Mythical tech

TBH its going to be expensive, and hard to track down. probably beter off perfecting your DICE game.  I know there are some on the east coast, but the problem is only one guy really made them or makes them, and he does the insane stuff mostly.

you might be best off looking for a dead one on ebay and trying to refill or fix it. since you are at a college, Id even consider building one yourselves. The hardest part to get ahold of is gonna be the cooling head but I think someone still makes those in EU and itll be a lot cheaper to get ahold of than a whole system. you can get a deep freeze compressor off ebay. The info is out there if you look hard enough.

also I feel anything single stage is gonna have a tough time on modern cpu packages. if they aren't tuned and maintained properly especially so.

also I feel anything single stage is gonna have a tough time on modern cpu packages. if they aren't tuned and maintained properly especially so.

Also this is going to be a game of patience. phase change hasnt been popular for quite a few years now, and even when it was, it was EXPENSIVE, and between shipping, damage, gas fees. a lot of people just threw them out or burried them in their garages

you might have better luck over on xtremesystems

fugger is the go to guy on phase n that's his stomping grounds

Your best bet is to join an active team, and hope someone has one they will sell. I searched for ~1.5yr, then got lucky and was able to buy one from a teammate. I then subsequently sold it to another teammate about a year later. Usually rare items like this are always offered to team members first before listed at the forums.

I would recommend you look into building a window a/c water chiller setup. Its cheaper, and you can build one immediately instead of waiting for an SS. Done correctly you can get -25-30c coolant temps. For reference the small SS I had ($400) only did like -28c idle on 8700k.

i'd seriously consider building one yourself then. It may be a hundred more or so than you'd want to spend but I don't think people make new ones. I have been around the forums for quite a few years now, they really only pop up once a year. and even then a lot are broken.

if you aren't confident with your skill, practice or find someone who is because I was friends with a guy who built these and designed the head most people used said it was really easy. only problem really is getting the gas IIRC

and if you can do an ac chiller with all that I bet you could do a phase way easier

Edited by Random

thats the part that pretty much everyone just buys, I think they are for sale for around 100$. they were last I checked. and then you are just brazing after that. which isn't much.
if you can get the gas and access to the filling equipment you are kinda set, thats really the biggest waste of money.

... hmm its been a long time since I looked I guess and I don't think that website is up anymore. I would open a new WTB thread just for the head, maybe contact some people on XS. Fugger can totally help.

keep an eye out on ebay too maybe?

but its definitely going to be a challenge getting that, or a phase. these things just aren't popular anymore. LN2 is too cheap. these are loud n bulky.  and Overclocking in general is just a lot more expensive than it used to be. The demand isn't there anymore I guess

Edited by Random

@Random that's the problem, the college does not have with ln2 costs because we are still on progress to get official recognition as a club so all funding is done by donations by our small member base. For ln2 we get it at a welding supply shop, there is an airgass but they quoted me at 10$ maybe if I got copies from others who bought from airgass they would price match but the welding shop refused to match their competition. I am also the only one with a dewar so it isn't worth it to drive two hours to go l someone else for ln2. 

I can deliver you the most difficult parts, assembled and ready for installation (evap, suction line, mounting kits) and provide some guidance about the rest of the parts which will be needed.

The work which you need to do:

- mount all the parts on the base plate, make some electric connections

- bend a few copper pipes

- braze the pipes, the most difficult part is to braze pipes to the compressor, you'll need quite powerful torch to make it properly

- charge the unit with gas and tune it for the load, to be honest it's good to have a load tester, but it can be made from cartridge heaters for the cheap + copper part, which I can also prepare

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@bartx do you think this compressor would work if I changed the oil. I happened to get it today free from work and it is supposedly still functional. I would have to use a step up convertor to run it but I already have a 2kw one so as long as there are no issues using a step up then I will most likely be going the diy rout. Depending on how far I get with milling my own evap I may be buying one from you Bart. If anyone has any tips on how to change the oil that would be great. Also a cheap Manifold Gauge suggestion would be helpful. 

156805092971142717356299434951.jpg

Edited by Mythical tech