HWBOT Community Forums

Benchmate 10.6.8 is out!! NO MORE SUPPORT FOR GEEKBENCHES!!

Leeghoofd

• Crew

0-10-6-Launcher.jpg

One hell of an update, thx to Matt and his crew

Brand new installer, also installing Win7 requisites.

Updating your benchmark versions automatically

GPUPI 2.3 is supported again

Check out the complete changelog at the new BenchMate website.

GEEKBENCH IS NO LONGER SUPPORTED BY BENCHMATE, DO NOT INQUIRE AFTER SUPPORT!!

CHECK OUT THE NEW RULES AT THE FRONTPAGE!!

Bench-Mate-Installer.jpg

y-cruncher-2-5b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

To clarify what is happening here with Geekbench: The developer of Geekbench threatened to sue me for integrating his benchmarks into BenchMate.

Apparently I'm benefiting from his work by fixing his benchmark (for free) to make Geekbench results valid for competitive benchmarking. This is even more important for Geekbench 5, which is only available for Windows 10 but doesn't mitigate the "RTC bug" and will therefore have time drifting as a new "feature" for all AMD CPUs and Intel Pre-Skylake.?

I tried to be polite, even apologized for my harsh words on the bot forums for calling the usage of timer functions 14 million times (!) during a single run as "incredibly stupid and obviously unnecessary". I know that I can be a straight-forward guy sometimes and a pain in the ass. Anyways, he couldn't forgive me for my "attacks" (as he calls them) and doesn't want to start fresh as I have proposed after the apology. So I was forced to remove all Geekbench versions from the Big Bundle of BenchMate, you will sadly have to install them manually now.

This makes me really sad. The benchmark community is small and I think we should hold together and overcome stuff like that for a better future.

Last but not least removing Geekbench was not enough, Primate Labs wants me to remove the integration or "if you continue to modify Geekbench in violation of the EULA we reserve the right to pursue additional remedies.".

So my fellow overclockers, what should we do? Anybody here that still wants to have fun with Geekbench? The dev seriously doesn't give a fuck about the community, so why should we?

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Mythical tech said:

@_mat_thank you for all your hard work for this community , I say we ditch geekbench and never give them another penny. I would love to see benchmate receive points when you and the devs of the bot think it is ready. 

Thanks!

We are working on the integration into HWBOT. BenchMate will be an optional tool to submit results into the categories of supported benchmarks.

LoL I paid for my Geek 3 & 4. Then I pay supporting Benchmate ... #2 there joined. And I may have paid Geek5 soon xD Gone! 

Can you make your own benchmark? Matbencher

Edited by Guest

I got the email from John Poole of Primate Labs with the GB5 upgrade key and after reading the above I replied to that email suggesting he reconsider his position given that I for one wouldn't have bought GB3 if not for hwbot, nor would I have bought GB4 if not for Benchmate. I won't be giving Primate Labs any money in future unless their position changes. I also suggested that Primate Labs should be supportive of hwbot and BenchMate for driving sales of geekbench. Heh

Edited by cbjaust
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

It's the way of the future. Kids don't like difficult OR too much effort. Win10 & all the benchmarks in 1x place. All one download.

I can see benchmate becoming very popular. The software makers come to Mat & HWbot ... even a % their way for support.

That's the way to keep newcomers " staying HWbot " benching on as enthusiasts or more after 6 months.

1 hour ago, cbjaust said:

I got the email from John Poole of Primate Labs with the GB5 upgrade key and after reading the above I replied to that email suggesting he reconsider his position given that I for one wouldn't have bought GB3 if not for hwbot, nor would I have bought GB4 if not for Benchmate. I won't be giving Primate Labs any money in future unless their position changes. I also suggested that Primate Labs should be supportive of hwbot and BenchMate for driving sales of geekbench. Heh

You sir, are a hero!

Thanks for the support, guys! You are my motivation!

34 minutes ago, Splave said:

I'm fine with dumping geek bench. It's become bug bench anyways, maybe Matt can secure 2 other benches to replace them that are open source. Black hole time!

I'm rethinking my stance on wPrime. Let's put in the effort and integrate it into BenchMate instead of Geekbench. I will add pifast as well, x265 is on my list and y-cruncher as well.

Any requests?

Edited by _mat_
  • Like 2

Sad news for sure that the geekbench dev is behaving this way. :(  Unfortunately I already purchased gb5 key, otherwise after hearing this I for sure wouldn't be. I also purchased both gb3 and gb4 keys previously. I agree with Mr Scott above, who else even buys a geek key except for benchers? He literally is killing his market off.

+1 from me for completely removing geekbench from hwbot.

In other news, Thanks again to Mat for keeping up the great work!!!

Edited by bigblock990
  • Like 4

I support whatever decision Mat and Leegh come to. If they don't want to play nice with the only real "Bench" community, then drop em. BenchMate/HWBot integration is the future for us imo ( 5g LCC Challenge again soon!? ) and where our $5 and $10 key money should be going anyways. BenchMate valid will be necessary for WR's etc. to be taken seriously going forward. Wouldn't be surprised if someone like Intel asks to make XTU relevant by adding it to BMate, for a fee of course 

• Like 1

• Crew

K gonna play Devils advocate for a brief moment:

We used Geekbench at the G.Skill Booth for the live competition. Scores were competitive and with a maxmem restriction it was a fair scalable/tweakable on memory benchmark.

The fact that Geekbench is labelled as buggable is also part of our responsability as a community. To have the edge on the competition do we ALWAYS need to find a weak spot in coding,or behaviour?  We are also shooting in our foot ladies and genetlemen

Modern OC is sadly more and more focused on the aforementioned community behavior, not on raw clocks and pushing the hardware like when I started with OC.

Do I approve mr Poole's behavior, absolutely not. I find it sad indeed that he cuts off positive criticizm to improve or making his benchmark more bulletproof.

I propose for Mat's sake to let go of the Geekbenches with BenhMate and that we opt for removal of points. (but gonna make a poll for the latter and let the community decide)

• Like 9

• Members

Whilst it's a shame how they responded, I also quite like gb3 and think it can be a great bench with both mem and core playing big roles.

Instantly completely removing it off the back of this feels a bit like an overeaction but I'm with Leeg in that happy to try and let the community decide.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leeghoofd said:

K gonna play Devils advocate for a brief moment:

We used Geekbench at the G.Skill Booth for the live competition. Scores were competitive and with a maxmem restriction it was a fair scalable/tweakable on memory benchmark.

The fact that Geekbench is labelled as buggable is also part of our responsability as a community.

I propose for Mat's sake to let go of the Geekbenches with BenhMate and that we opt for removal of points. (but gonna make a poll for the latter and let the community decide)

Were not doing live comps most of us. 99.9% of us. So it will be rorted low mems & bug a few hundred points, easy shit right I tested this.

That's the idea of benchmate to make it fair & lessen bugged scores. Without it sure it will be done open slather

Third point. Sometimes a difficult nail you hit it hard with a bigger hammer. The hammer will never yield.

I have no personal vendetta against the Geekbench guy. I've always liked the Geekbenchs, that's why I integrated them in the first place. I am also a customer of his and have bought GB 3/4 and used it regularly for my reviews on overclockers.at.

I'm concerned though where this is going. Geekbench has no mitigations for Windows 10, but still allows these scores to be uploaded to his database, even if they can possibly - with or without intention - be skewed. That's his right, but says a lot about the quality of his database too.

But the bot has different, stricter rules than he applies. That forces the bot to do extra moderation based on uploaded screenshots, that can't rely completely on the validation links to the Geekbench browser. That's a very hard task, and time-consuming as well.

Now BenchMate fixes these things and makes his scores compliant to the bot's standards, but he doesn't want it. That leaves us with a BenchMate that can't wrap all the benches we have. BenchMate is less useful for overclockers now, without any fault of its own. This lessens the chances that it will ever get fully adopted here because it is not allowed to support 4 point-giving benchmark categories. :(

I'm talking about the many days it took me to integrate Geekbench correctly. I'm talking about decisions like these that are out of our hands but threating our future of being more accessible to newcomers and deliver more trustworthy results. That sucks.

I also think that the community should decide on the next steps. Please just don't forget that this is not only about Geekbench.

The funny thing is that with the new Geekbench 5 integration I didn't even touch the timers. I can't do that with 14 million timer calls, HPET is too slow for that and there would be an impact of at least 1000 points on the score. So I'm merely tracking the calls and checking the timers for skewing.

• Like 5