HWBOT Community Forums

Tools to create stripped down Windows 10 install disc

debs3759

For Windows 7, there are (or were?) several tools to create a customised install DVD. I personally have Windows OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK) for Windows 7 and WinIntegrator.

Are there any similar tool for Windows 10? I want to strip out all the drivers that I don't need, unnecessary services and features, etc (eg Cortana in the latest updates uses more than one core of my APU, despite being disabled! I managed to fix that, after copious research, but as I don't use any part of Cortana, it is one of many features I want removed prior to my next clean install).

Oh well, maybe WinReducer is no good. I spent 16 hours modifying my build, Googling EVERY service to see what I need. Left it overnight to work, and come back to find it has frozen and I can't stop it! Going to try again with saved settings (phew, I remembered!), but have now downloaded the latest Win 10 version of nlite as well. which appears to support the latest build. Looks like it was out of support for a short time, then moved to a new website and is being actively worked on again. If it creates a build I am happy with for my daily Win 10 build, I will register it and make the best build I can to open all the features for the best 7 and 10 builds.

WinReducer has got farther today than last night, without any problems this time. Might be finished in under 40 hours :) Should have done it on a faster PC :)

Will make an NLite build as well before I hook up the SSD I will be testing it on prior to trashing this bloated install :)

Looks like I have 3 apps to try for Win 7. Will see which suits my benching best :)

hmm. 39 hours later, and WinReducer has shrunk my Win 10 x64 Pro iso from 3.88 GB to 3.10 GB (granted I did add 77 MB in two other setup files). I hope the speed and reliability improvements are more noticeable :) Now to see what NTLite (the modern version of nlite) can do.