HWBOT Community Forums
Splave

Time to enforce bench mate for AMD in windows 10

7 hours ago, Splave said:

Some users are now having their submissions flagged for using benchmate. Sigh.....What has this all become

That's what happens when you pander to the wrong crowd for so many years.

• Like 1

I setup all my Ryzen on W7, why can't everyone else, cause like, I am super shit and rubbish with OS's??? Hell, I am doing it now for X570.

Agree though, make it so. It can only help things move in a forward direction. Also, 100% behind you on that the ones with disabled points have a direct effect on those that find the right way to earn the boints. Lets make HWBot and AMD benching great again!

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, KaRtA said:

I setup all my Ryzen on W7, why can't everyone else, cause like, I am super shit and rubbish with OS's??? Hell, I am doing it now for X570.

I've setup a Win 7 OS for old Intel platforms yesterday and it was nothing but trouble. Since this month a fresh SP1 install can't even check for Windows Updates without having the latest SHA256 update patches included. More of the same hassle when switching an existing W7 install from an old Intel platform to a new one. It doesn't work because of missing xHCI USB drivers. Same thing with Ryzen I guess, because last time I checked the mouse and keyboard didn't work and I couldn't log in. CINEBENCH R20 for example needs two additional patches to work on Windows 7 and doesn't work out-of-the-box either.

Ryzen 3000 on Windows 7 is another topic. Multiple people tried and it's not only not officially supported (fixes and speed improvements won't happen on Windows 7), but it seems to be not as stable and slower.

So in the end it's either a struggle to get it working on modern platforms or not the best choice anyways. And at some point in the future it might not be possible at all to go back to Windows 7. What happens then?

Also don't forget that we want new people to come into the community. Most of the new guys start with Windows 10 on a modern platform and if they can't participate with that and their first score gets removed instantly, they will never get into competitive overclocking on HWBOT.

Edited by _mat_
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, keeph8n said:

Just assumed you were going for the salt and pepper look

Def salty not sure about the pepper 🤓 🤓

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Hey guys so even if you dont alter the bclk directly you can have skew on the timer with ryzen in win10.

Im seeing 99.8* to 100.4* in cpuz depending on the boot and temp on ln2 it swings a lot. Scoring is not accurate.

So if you are me now, what do you do when you are using bench-mate and getting second place to someone that is not using it?

Does this mean on boards that dont have external bclk generators can also have skewing? will test on aqua which does not have external generator. 

timer bug.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The skew is too high, this looks more like the realtime priority bug where the validation couldn't keep up because of the overwhelming load. This is fixed with BenchMate 0.10 (coming very soon, if my fucking job lets me).

Was Geekbench run with realtime?

Edited by _mat_

@Splave I haven't seen that with any of the TR4 boards I've used, but I have only used a few. Let me know what you find out.

@_mat_ I'll send you a PM on either here or FB about something weird I ran into last night on X299. Installed Intel SDK and received an error about a missing DLL when opening any version of GPUPI

2 hours ago, _mat_ said:

The skew is too high, this looks more like the realtime priority bug where the validation couldn't keep up because of the overwhelming load. This is fixed with BenchMate 0.10 (coming very soon, if my fucking job lets me).

Was Geekbench run with realtime?

nope 😮 normal mode

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

Lets say we run a bench that takes 37.495751 seconds to run.

Using a 32-bit counter running at 14.318180 MHz the start of the bench is hex F000 0000 and at the end is hex 1000 0000 (32-bit wrap around).

Using 32-bit integer arithmetic (ie sub eax,edx)
1000 0000 - F000 0000 = 2000 0000, in decimal 536870912, in seconds 536870912/14318180 = 37.495751. A different counter reference also shows 37.495751 seconds run time for the bench giving a skew of 37.495751 - 37.495751 = 0

Using 64-bit arithmetic (ie sub rax,rdx)
0000 0000 1000 0000 - 0000 0000 F000 0000 = FFFF FFFF 2000 0000, in unsigned decimal 18446744069951455232, in seconds = 18446744069951455232/14318180 = 1288344193881.586573 seconds.
Subtract the second reference counter time gives a skew of 1288344193881.586573 - 37.495751 = 1288344193844.090822 seconds (look familiar?), a difference of around 40825 years.

So skew is very likely good, just a glitch.

Edited by 0.0

On 10/3/2019 at 11:41 AM, Splave said:

Hey guys so even if you dont alter the bclk directly you can have skew on the timer with ryzen in win10.

Im seeing 99.8* to 100.4* in cpuz depending on the boot and temp on ln2 it swings a lot. Scoring is not accurate.

So if you are me now, what do you do when you are using bench-mate and getting second place to someone that is not using it?

Does this mean on boards that dont have external bclk generators can also have skewing? will test on aqua which does not have external generator. 

timer bug.jpeg

Same thing popping up over here even on the X570 Aqua which has no clockgen or any way to alter bclk.

10 hours ago, l0ud_sil3nc3 said:

Same thing popping up over here even on the X570 Aqua which has no clockgen or any way to alter bclk.

Interesting. I will have some time tomorrow to finish BenchMate 0.10. And even if I can't finish it tomorrow, I can send you and the Splaver a test version to see if this is fixed now. Would help me a lot!

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2019 at 4:20 AM, _mat_ said:

Interesting. I will have some time tomorrow to finish BenchMate 0.10. And even if I can't finish it tomorrow, I can send you and the Splaver a test version to see if this is fixed now. Would help me a lot!

Sounds great Mat, I can test out when I get back home in a day or so. No rush on your end but will gladly provide feedback if it can help in anyway.

Really appreciate what you've done for the community, keep it up :)

• Like 3

Fully agree with the original post by Splave. lets have Benchmate formalized for submissions with win10.  trying to get new hardware to run Win 7 is seemingly not going to work. Spent enough time trying. 

• Thanks 1

Don't worry been cooking up some good stuff. You guys going to beg to use benchmate when we are done 😀😀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1