HWBOT Community Forums

ZenStates - beta testers needed

I.nfraR.ed

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I already made a reply, but it seems it "vanished" or needs moderator to accept it. In the case I am writing two replies, please erase one. I attach the JSON code regarding my setup just bought.

OK. My particular situation is having an 2200GE "Engineering Version" and wanting to use a higher frequency P-State 0 in Debian Linux for a machine acting as a home server 24x7. I was comfortable OCing to 3.725GHz@1.35V.

With previous Python application from r4m0n I was able to set this numbrers to P-0 and keep stock P-1 and P-2 numbers in Debian. The problem I have is that the voltage doesn't drop at P1 or P2, and more strangely, it apparently drops at 100% load which is contra intuitive (using an stress-ng script, it appears to use around 1V or less, I am using some small LLC compensation, so it's not vdroop)

Now I have decided until someone have a better idea to not OC at all (not by software in Linux not using bios), and keep the server at 3.4GHz enabling "turbo" frequency and dropping voltage to 1.2V. Using this, it drops nicely voltage and frequency down proportionally  to the load, but it is a pity I can't use the extra punch of the 3.725GHz OC using software.

I hope my JSON can contribute, thanks for your work.

{
  "AppVersion": "1.2.5.0",
  "OSVersion": "Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC",
  "CpuId": "810F10",
  "CpuCodeName": "RavenRidge",
  "CpuName": "AMD Eng Sample: ZD2200C6M4MFB_34/26_Y",
  "MbVendor": "Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.",
  "MbName": "B450M PRO-VDH MAX (MS-7A38)",
  "BiosVersion": "B.40",
  "SmuVersion": "30.87.00",
  "Mailboxes": [
    {
      "MsgAddress": "0x03B10A20",
      "RspAddress": "0x03B10A80",
      "ArgAddress": "0x03B10A88"
    },
    {
      "MsgAddress": "0x03B10A24",
      "RspAddress": "0x03B10A84",
      "ArgAddress": "0x03B10A8C"
    }
  ]
}

Capture.png

Capture2.png

Unfortunately I haven't found any other method that works currently.

I have a 240GE here, which is basically the same thing. Although you can change P0 I don't think you're using the new frequency.

Have you monitored it under load?

The only method I know is to reduce DID of P0 and adjust FID and VID accordingly. This allows you to go above turbo frequency, but also makes P1 and P2 useless.

Example 1 - Fresh boot, stock P-States. I've adjusted P0 FID to set target frequency of 3725MHz.

Although P0 changes are programmed successfully, the state is not respected. Maximum voltage is around ~1.1V and frequency doesn't go higher than stock 3500.

1.1V is the generic VID of Zen.

Selection_014.png.6cb8846c1fd6baf886f103ad31127ea2.png

Example 2 - P0 is changed, but this time I've dropped DID below stock, which forces some sort of a OC mode.

You can now set FID and VID to desired values and overclock it as high as your CPU and cooling allows you.

Once entering this state, there's no going back, you have to restart to get P1 and P2 working again.

This time P0 is respected, but the CPU stays close to that P0 parameters - mine goes down to 3.6GHz when not loaded, but that's it.

Screenshot is done under load. When idling the power consumption looks to be ok and unused CPU cores are probably sleeping, so that might be a good enough method,

although monitoring programs still read full vCore.

Selection_015.png.28cb5c983bf6a5f5b9e7ca9b3c5d1083.png

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the info @I.nfraR.ed and sorry for the delay for my answer.

- When I was preparing my P-State possible OC, to know what were the P0 values I made a normal BIOS OC using fixed multiplier and fixed VCore and the values were almost identical to what you show us in the Example 1 picture -> Same fid=149 and did=8 but my vid matched 1.35V.

In this fixed OC BIOS state the frequency was the expected and no apparently changes of any voltage lower than vCore or frequency P1/P2 changes even if I activated C&Q and other power saving options in BIOS. The OC max values where successfully applied and I had increases in performance in many stress or bench applications.

I thought at that moment that voltages didn't drop (or frequencies) because of fixed multipliers/voltage numbers, so I decided to change BIOS voltage to offset auto mode and "auto" in frequency multiplier too, and my objective was to reach the prior stable OC value in the P-0 state by software using r4m0n zenstates python scripts.

- Using zenstates I made a table in wich p-0 was set to OC values 3725@1.35V, and mantaining p-1 and p-2 at stock values. The result was not as expected:

The "idle" state values were apparently identical to having a fixed OC in BIOS (P-0 all the time), but while monitoring values using "CoreFreq" under load, the voltage instead of going up or maintaining at 1.35V, was going down to around 1V (very mysteriously), so I abandoned idea of OC by software and wrote this post.

I never tried what you did, having a DID=6 or different to ,8 because I don't know exactly what I am touching ¿what is the purpose of DID divider?

Now without any OCing or P-state changing this are the voltages of the home server in almost idle and next image is under "stress-ng -c 4":

idle.png

load-stress-ng-c-4.png

Thanks!

Edited by taki0n

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beta version of ZenStates with advanced Memory Controller config included.

Should work on all Zen2-based CPUs and Renoir (Desktop АМ4).

Readings are not realtime, but just a snapshot on app open. Don't have plans to add realtime reading, maybe a simple separate monitor app with just voltages, clocks and power. Still haven't found how to read BCLK, ACPI always reports 100.

Download from GoogleDrive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YfHep9mX2POJhRrdEM_0WQklMDd0amZb/view?usp=sharing.

ZT-1.1.0-beta.png.c5354fa0dce07d25bcbb9edb6aa536f5.png

10/08/2020: Re-uploaded with a fix for first read after reboot.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Would it be possible for the next ZenStates version to have arguments to set specific frequencies and/or voltages? I wrote an Issue in your github but I figured that might not be the right place.

To give an example of what I mean:
Let's say I want to change my manual settings from cmd I just write zenstates.exe -vcore "1.3" -freq "3.9"

Some usecases are shortcuts for different power profiles (that can be used to automate power profile switching with task scheduling etc etc) or straight up remote control from bash.

Also, pstates don't seem to work in my setup, it's not a big deal as I didn't plan to use them to begin with but you might be intrested I guess. 

I'm running on a B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC w/ 1700 and I'm running version v0.8.0-beta3 of your windows release (I believe it's the latest publicly available).

ZenTimings v1.1.0 is "officially" released.

Probably ton of bugs, but will try to address them in the next versions, especially when more debug reports are available.

The simple site (a copy of ZenStates with changed main color :D) is also live: https://zentimings.protonrom.com/

app.png.ee028dda11807f891195f6f54ff56848.png

For debug reports, please use the tool in Tools -> Debug and attach the generated text file or copy the text directly.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/1/2020 at 10:10 AM, DanKadr said:

Any news about the linux version? :)

Nothing new, unfortunately. Have to quit my job if I want to support all the apps in a timely manner :(

Which I might do, since I can't stand it anymore. I wanted to release the next ZenTimings version before switching to ZenStates again.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

New v1.2.0 is up on the official site: ZenTimings

I have verified it to work on my system, but there aren't much reports from users, so if there's some serious issue will have to hotfix it.

There are now 2 versions of the app, but they both include the major and important fixes, since they share the same common code.

The difference is in the UI.

People were asking about dark theme, which is not really possible with the old Windows Forms the app was based on. Or at least not in a satisfactory way.

Not all controls can be styled or at least not easily. So, the UI was completely rewritten to use Windows Presentation Foundation framework, which allows easier theming.

This comes at a cost though. In order to support the themes, I had to up the minimum required version of .NET framework from 4.0 to 4.5, which means no XP support (not that most people need it).

It's also a little more memory consuming, but I have tried to minimize RAM usage as much as possible.

Due to that change, I have decided to still support the legacy version (it's basically the same old UI, but with updated core functions, so nothing is missing, except dark mode).

I will still support it in the future, unless some breaking change is needed in the common module.

It's a major release, thus the version is now 1.2.0. You can read the changelog on the site.

I don't have a Zen3 system, but there's some preliminary support for Vermeer and Genesis (based more on assumptions).

Will definitely need user input once it gets available in stores. It would be quite some time until I get one.

I would need a new motherboard for that, unless Crosshair VI Hero actually gets some beta/unofficial bios.

v1.1.0 hit more than 5400 downloads! Thank you all. Not that it benefits me in any way, but it's encouraging at least.

Last, but not least, I will make sure to find time and finally update the OP with some info.

CPUs tested: 1800X, 1600AF, 3000G, 240GE, 3900X on Crosshair VI Hero running latest bios 7803.

Note: This is a direct copy from the overclock.net forums post.

Edited by I.nfraR.ed
  • Like 2

Hello everyone.

I tried to run ZenStates-Linux and get an error when i choose OC Mode :

File "./zenstates.py", line 680, in <module>
    window['cpuOcFrequency'].update(disabled=(not values['ocMode']))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.8/dist-packages/PySimpleGUI/PySimpleGUI.py", line 2159, in Update
    self.TKSpinBox['state'] = 'enable'
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/tkinter/__init__.py", line 1648, in __setitem__
    self.configure({key: value})
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/tkinter/__init__.py", line 1637, in configure
    return self._configure('configure', cnf, kw)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.8/tkinter/__init__.py", line 1627, in _configure
    self.tk.call(_flatten((self._w, cmd)) + self._options(cnf))
_tkinter.TclError: bad state "enable": must be disabled, normal, or readonly

Ubuntu 20.04;  python3-tk:amd64 - 3.8.5-1~20.04.1; python3-wheel  -  0.34.2-1

If use no-gui - the OC frequency stuck at the "boost" clock (in my case 3900Mhz - ryzen 3 3100) and it can't be higher than this limit.
Am i doing something wrong? :)
Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...