HWBOT Community Forums

Is overclocking DEAD or dying?

9o6uh43ey12wo5q7g.jpg

The real numbers for 2019?

A different approach perhaps? You experienced guys & gals gather a keen learner under your wing learn them up & make them fly. :D

_________

A success story for inspiration.

Young Jordan as Karta's padawan evolved as apprentice revealed the master. 

https://hwbot.org/user/jordan_hyde99/

Write back here your determination gathering another overclocker into the fold.

It's not dead at all!

I have had multiple success stories. I was a noob bencher having done DICE a few times when a few guys from OCN, pulled me aside and asked if I wanted to be part the Skype benching community. With a lot of encouragement and also some very helpful info I started to bench almost every weekend. I learned how hwbot works and started gaining points. After a few years I had made it to #1 in apprentice by running tons of dry ice and learning how to mod GPU's. Once I made it to #1 in apprentice I became stagnate and had difficulties gaining points with dry ice. Due to financial reasons, LN2 was not an option.

@Splave took notice of what I was doing with DICE and GPU modding  by my posts on Facebook. He generously offered to help me out by sending me a box with 30+ old GPU's that he didn't want. Furthermore, he offered to help me make the transition to LN2 and gave me a 50L dewar for the price of shipping. Splave's help didn't stop there, he continued to support my endeavors and teach me the world of LN2 benching. Eventually I ended up getting supported by ASRock for platform hardware. I devoted a few solid years to LN2 benching and pushing myself and the hardware as far as it would go. Splave continues to help and support me to this day...

Throughout the years I have worked hard to give back as much as possible and build up the OCN team. Sharing of information and creating a family-like environment has been critical to OCN's success. We are constantly evolving and working on promoting overclocking though benchmarking competitions such as the Freezer' Burn competitions. Speaking of competitions, I am working with vendors now to get huge prize support for the next competition, which will happen at the end of this year.

I see some limitations at Hwbot, but no, overclocking is not dead, it just looks a little different now that it has in the past.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

Always interested on another approach or other point of view how to make OC more interesting and/or the compos more challenging

From my perspective 2 things need to happen to make Hwbot comps better and with more participants.

1. Prizes. Everyone loves prizes, they are easy to obtain from large vendors, and they motivate people...

2. More universal events with less reliance on old stuff. If you look at the last team cup the classes were ultra constrained and there was far too much old stuff. At least 3/4 of the competition was focused on equipment that most people simply DONT have. The hardware requirements need to be a little less constrained. If you want more people, make the classes a little newer and phase out some ancient stuff. The new guys don't have 40+ boards with chips from all generations, so it's difficult to find people who want to grind that stuff. As much as it pains me, and many will surely disagree, if you want to bring in new people...make more stages with newer generation hardware. More stages that the average 'gamer' can play in and use Windows 10. I have fun with a little bit of DDR1 and old stuff myself, but many don't...it's time to move on

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

@GtiJason got me started on hwbot. He also introduced me the OCN crew. And they accepted my noobness. Lol  

I do think it is important for team leaders and team members to look for new overclockers on hwbot or any social media. 

Having a group of people to chat and share experience with is the core of the overclocking community I feel like.  

• Like 2

• Crew
3 minutes ago, mllrkllr88 said:

1. Prizes. Everyone loves prizes, they are easy to obtain from large vendors, and they motivate people...

2. More universal events with less reliance on old stuff. ..it's time to move on

Well if you can get access to vendors for prizes be my guess David, I don't have time to lobby for that. I wanted to get something done for Country Cup but lost track of time

Regarding new hardware I think that is what the Challengers and Country Cup (excluding  2019 edition) are for. Many were happy with Team CUP  regarding the fact that the need for new aka expensive hardware was low.

My biggest challenges in OC is the nr of  OSses to get the efficiency of the platform right per benchmark,. Coinciding the labour it takes to get these decently running takes sometimes more time than to actually bench the hardware lol.

I really hope Intel can fix the XTU, this is an easy benchmark that can attract people to the OC world and it is a stress tool in one

BenchMate will be a big bonus too, we will see how the integration develops this week

• Like 2

it was the last hobby i thought id ever get into, about 4 - 5 years ago i got into overclocking, prior to that my computer skill and knowledge were very very limited, then i met macsbeach98 who lives about 15 mins from me, we became friends and is my mentor and in my opinion one of the best overclockers and card modders ive seen, his subs both in bot and comps over the years and (card mods, and being an ex tv tech he knows schematics, diagrams and what to look for, i have no idea, to complicated for me) attest to that, it got me hooked, going to his place learning and helping him with his dice at that stage then he went to LN2, and i learnt that from him too,(what not to do ), i was on water for a while then built my chilled water sytem which is still in use today from 150mm pvc pipe x  450mm high, hold about 6 litres of ice and ice water and performs pretty well, i couldnt afford to buy much new hardware so i picked up chucked out computers off the street, ratted them for cpus, ram, card, boards, fans then took the empty cases to the tip, saw there was a bin full of computers where people could chuck them for free for scrap, that appauled me so i swapped the empty for the full cases, id pick up and old washing machine to give me the extra weight for the weigh bridge at the tip so i wount be heavier going out than in ?, id rat them then do the same again the next week for quite a while, but had to time the day right when the right guys were on duty lol, (lunch time is the right time, all theyre interested in is eating lol ) i saved up money then bought new and  used boards, cus, ram, cards etc, to where i am with it now, i dont go to the tip anymore  as i have so much stuff now i dont know what to do with it and dont need to get more altho i always think ill miss out on that golden hardware that you sometimes get, new or used

so no, overclocking is far from dead or dying IMO, :)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mllrkllr88 said:

From my perspective 2 things need to happen to make Hwbot comps better and with more participants.

2. More universal events with less reliance on old stuff. If you look at the last team cup the classes were ultra constrained and there was far too much old stuff. At least 3/4 of the competition was focused on equipment that most people simply DONT have. The hardware requirements need to be a little less constrained. If you want more people, make the classes a little newer and phase out some ancient stuff. The new guys don't have 40+ boards with chips from all generations, so it's difficult to find people who want to grind that stuff. As much as it pains me, and many will surely disagree, if you want to bring in new people...make more stages with newer generation hardware. More stages that the average 'gamer' can play in and use Windows 10. I have fun with a little bit of DDR1 and old stuff myself, but many don't...it's time to move on

Average gamer is a one and done bencher. The old guys are the mainstay of this hobby. Make the change to all new hardware and you condemn this site quicker than it's already heading. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mllrkllr88 said:

It's not dead at all!

I have had multiple success stories. I was a noob bencher having done DICE a few times when a few guys from OCN, pulled me aside and asked if I wanted to be part the Skype benching community. With a lot of encouragement and also some very helpful info I started to bench almost every weekend. I learned how hwbot works and started gaining points. After a few years I had made it to #1 in apprentice by running tons of dry ice and learning how to mod GPU's. Once I made it to #1 in apprentice I became stagnate and had difficulties gaining points with dry ice. Due to financial reasons, LN2 was not an option.

@Splave took notice of what I was doing with DICE and GPU modding  by my posts on Facebook. He generously offered to help me out by sending me a box with 30+ old GPU's that he didn't want. Furthermore, he offered to help me make the transition to LN2 and gave me a 50L dewar for the price of shipping. Splave's help didn't stop there, he continued to support my endeavors and teach me the world of LN2 benching. Eventually I ended up getting supported by ASRock for platform hardware. I devoted a few solid years to LN2 benching and pushing myself and the hardware as far as it would go. Splave continues to help and support me to this day...

Throughout the years I have worked hard to give back as much as possible and build up the OCN team. Sharing of information and creating a family-like environment has been critical to OCN's success. We are constantly evolving and working on promoting overclocking though benchmarking competitions such as the Freezer' Burn competitions. Speaking of competitions, I am working with vendors now to get huge prize support for the next competition, which will happen at the end of this year.

I see some limitations at Hwbot, but no, overclocking is not dead, it just looks a little different now that it has in the past.

Competitive benching started in the forums, and will ultimately wind up back in the forums.

• Like 3

I’ve been building computers and watercooling them for about 10 years, but never really got into OC much. A little bump here and there and to keep the systems quite. 

January I started to get into this more and more. Started with watercooling, then moved to chillers, and finally to LN2. This community had been fantastic to be apart of and the people I have met and talk to weekly if not daily is amazing. 

@Bilko @Splave @k|ngp|n @mllrkllr88 @bigblock990 @Darthresin and more have pushed me to push myself and keep working at this. I can’t thank these guys enough. Teaching me the ins and outs and helping me from the get go. 

I have found this community/sport/hobby to be fantastic so far. I know I’m still new and learning but, I ain’t go anywhere. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mr.Scott said:

Average gamer is a one and done bencher. The old guys are the mainstay of this hobby. Make the change to all new hardware and you condemn this site quicker than it's already heading. 

Agreed. Then the 8 year or older parts are cheaper to purchase. More on a budget stay & bench.

Hmm that is interesting Mr Scott. What if there is a statistic for that? Members benched the latest sockets.

1415 of us here for a while. 1070 new members.

How many of us bought new socket boards + processors this year, benched & submitted scores to HWbot. There has to be a % ... my guess 10%

I understand where Miller is coming from, things are changing with time and that's natural of course.

However with the investment the older guys have in all the hardware they've accumilated over the years it doesn't make sense to kill that off either. I do however agree restrictions could be a little "Looser" so more can participate but that call is not mine to make.

I disagree in killing off the legacy part of the bot, If something were to happen such as a Legacy comp, division or whatever form it takes - I'm fine with it but I do understand "Why" Miller is thinking this because the newer stuff is here and it always will be, like it or not and it must be accounted for too.

Miller is right about one thing, thinking of the newer guys is important if we want this hobby to continue or it becomes something that just fades away with time. Maybe promoting the site and what we do might work, if we can get just one out of a thousand that comes here browsing to at least try it, that would be better than how it is currently from the looks of it.

I've noted even now how many are still running/subbing for XTU and it's mostly the new guys doing it and that's fine, once they get in the door they'll see there's more to it than XTU alone - I certainly hope so and we'd need to help them see what it's really all about. 

Edited by Bones
  • Like 3

I think I can attest that Miller didn't want to suggest killing off legacy in any way, but for the purpose of attempting to widen access and increase new members (who might then later bench older stuff) you need to run comps with very open categories and in a matter that it seems worthwhile for the new people to actually compete. Hence what we are trying to do with the Freezer Burn comps - by picking GPU only benches, non-linear scaling benches, etc.

Admittedly there is only a limited number of benchmarks, so this can limit your options when picking benchmarks for a competition. Especially if you want a bench that isn't buggy or can be easily cheated.

• Like 2

Overclocking is not dead but sort of half-dead. The glory days were few years ago when there many competitions for every category, more interest from vendors, etc.However this interest precisely the material part was misused by a bunch of crooks , the overclocking tv and some bad management and trust that Massman did with these people that led into a total disaster. Short storyz, most of the money that went in from vendors were spent on useless things and crooks. Overclocking TV had a huge chunk on money that they used for their personal interest such as buying equipment for the wonderfull li estreaming where they basically sucked hard in creating and entertaining an audience and also by manipulating statistics and lying to vendors about the number of views which they did not had because...they were so bad at what they were supposed to do. Eventually vendors saw no ROI from this and backed off. The crooks called overclocking tv( which is now rebranded as a different company) even thought to be managers for some top overclockers promising them support from vendors for a commision.

Myself and other top and respected overclockers know this and we will never forgive these crooks for their behaviour and what they did. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

What he said ^ we have to move forward though.

Rules ... it's a bloody minefield for newcomers. Then they are slammed hard when they get things wrong. :o

Funny sometimes but their feeling are hurt writing bad @ them.

Benchmate sure will make it easier for them/ us. Keep oldschool benching going 50/50 ratio with the new stuff.

Archive must be kept of these overclockers past efforts OR what's the point. As it never existed.

Our biggest resource is the 1070 novice + rookie to pull in more permanent overclockers.

They may try OC once & move on. " That is the problem " You cannot know their age or experience. So you assume the mums & dads bought the teenager a $2K gaming system. 

--------------

Encouragement goes along way. Hey man you are doing great. Not alot of what I've seen lately is positive. The "rules " minefield as above.

Experienced guys & gals in here go that extra mile, be a bit bloody nicer to them. Not sprog off to them " it's the rules you know "

LoL how many of us search this out. First bloody thing I do building something is throw out the instructions ha :P

________

See a new overclocker trying his best. You gather that buddy up, him or her into your team. That is your future, want to see overclocking growth next year. :D

They're all not hammering like mllrkllr88 was starting out, but they soon will be.

• Members

When I joined hwbot was pretty simple, two leagues, ambient and cold, and I don't remember people moaning a out competing against ln2 people with only a SS, but maybe I just wasn't paying attention to them, I don't think I complained. Since stopping hwbot seemed to try and make itself more appealing to newcomers with comps and beginner leagues, all of which I don't think is needed.

Benchmate will be a big point, most likely making it into a more beginner friendly environment, whether that's a good thing or not I'll let you decide :D

• Like 4

Well let me tell you my thoughts as an appreantice. I Started building PCs just about two years ago. You can check them out here: https://builds.gg/users/der8urner-4440 you wont regret it ;)

But just building PCs wasent enough for me and I had much more fun ovecklocking them. Now we get to the crucial point: On YT I saw videos from der8auer and Gamersnexus and Joe Seponzi and other proffessional overcklockers and I thought: I Just wanna do the same thing NOW. 

A few months ago I did my first DICE oc of an i9 9900k. Worked really well ( scores are in my Profile). But at most I am interestet in GPU oc and I purchased a 2080ti KP from @Alex@ro 

Currently I only have accsess to DICE and so I could only oc the card with DICE. But that worked really well and I am placed 16. in Port Royal single   Gpu.  https://www.3dmark.com/pr/159463

I am really addicted to xoc now and found a really nice team.  I am going to continue xoc and will get better but I havent found anyone who would be eager to follow me and also get into xoc...  I am 22 years old so I ll probably find new people which I an recruit. 

I think xoc is as Alex says half dead because it dosent get enough attention and looks risky to newcomers. If there would be more social media like  Joes @steponz  and  Steves  @GamersNexus livestreams probably more people would get into it. But it is noc easy buisness to start with considering how rare ln2 pots and ln2 are... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Noxinite said:

I think I can attest that Miller didn't want to suggest killing off legacy in any way, but for the purpose of attempting to widen access and increase new members (who might then later bench older stuff) you need to run comps with very open categories and in a matter that it seems worthwhile for the new people to actually compete. Hence what we are trying to do with the Freezer Burn comps - by picking GPU only benches, non-linear scaling benches, etc.

Admittedly there is only a limited number of benchmarks, so this can limit your options when picking benchmarks for a competition. Especially if you want a bench that isn't buggy or can be easily cheated.

Nailed it!  Obviously I am not suggesting we kill off legacy benching, nobody is taking away those sweet 939 boards. By on the other hand, legacy benching is obviously not the future...

The newcomers are the future and most of them are running budget or midrange DDR4 'gaming' computers. Although I personally loved it, during the last team cup we had 3/4 of the competition devoted to legacy hardware that most newcomers simply don't have and don't want to buy. My teenage nephew is running a budget i3 DDR4 gaming rig and he was only able to submit to a few category's. That's all I was trying to say, weather or not you like it...we need to encourage newer platforms/OS's to grow this sport.

• Like 2

Participation. That's a big one. ;)

How many new to overclocking will join in comps. I know I was hesitant at first. Your thinking what's the point my scores will get smashed.

So it's a waste of time & energy.

Ales on my team looked into a recent comp & said the TOP10 teams had average of x10 overclockers putting scores up. That's one hundred folks the bulk of it. 10% of us?

Splave would comment " what more participation " and he was right. It's just not there, more then more effort from the remaining die hards.

Although if .... each team gathers up x5 rookie/ novice next year & they get benching in comps. Offer them the prizes for doing good. Incentive to try :)

Can be like our spare rams sets offered up as prize. We have plenty of parts anyway.

Now you have 150+ overclockers participation top 10 teams. 

8 minutes ago, Leeghoofd said:

Well I guess its also partly up to the numerous Vloggers/streamers we have here to promote eg the hassle free BenchMate benching. 

Joe will do one slacker version next week, maybe @Wizerty , @unityofsaints and co can chime in... we can share these on the front page

I think its a good idea to share the livestreams. On Facebook and so on would be also possible.

6 minutes ago, mllrkllr88 said:

Nailed it!  Obviously I am not suggesting we kill off legacy benching, nobody is taking away those sweet 939 boards. By on the other hand, legacy benching is obviously not the future...

The newcomers are the future and most of them are running budget or midrange DDR4 'gaming' computers. Although I personally loved it, during the last team cup we had 3/4 of the competition devoted to legacy hardware that most newcomers simply don't have and don't want to buy. My teenage nephew is running a budget i3 DDR4 gaming rig and he was only able to submit to a few category's. That's all I was trying to say, weather or not you like it...we need to encourage newer platforms/OS's to grow this sport.

Hes absolutly right. If you want more people to participate then make comps where the "mainstream gamer people" can participate and not comps with verry specific hardware. Also choose benchmarks which are popular to the newer generation  like 3dmark timespy, port royal, cinebench and so on...