HWBOT Community Forums

Is overclocking DEAD or dying?

I have to disagree with you there @GeorgeStorm

Separate leagues for the beginners makes a lot of sense to me. Rookie Rumble and Novice Nimble were some of the most important competitions on hwbot to date. While maybe they were not the biggest of all times, they had excellent participation and they provided a 'safe' place for the new guys to battle it out. They didn't have to face off against some of the big name people with years of experience and knowledge...

Edited by mllrkllr88
  • Like 1

I bench every day and when I'm not I'm thinking about it. Is that sad? Some may think it is but I I'm quite happy with it. When I'm not having fun I'll quit. 

I think that there used to be more of a wow factor in a way and it wasn't so much for hwbot points. Guess that drove to help each other hit big numbers in Xtreme systems threads etc. 

For instance the copy wazza thread on Xtreme systems and OCX where everyone collaborated and tested together instead of I found a tweak look how great it is, no I won't tell you it kind of like what we have now. 

The other angle is manufacturer's kind of stepped in and had their way with the place and once they got us pregnant they hit the road so to speak. I remember if you had an ln2 Dewar you could get free gear as easy as an email and most of the time they found you. Now a lot of elite level guys can't even get their mobo rmad as a favor. The battle changed a bit when it went from user a vs user b in a friendly fight to Asus vs gigabyte.

I'm guilty of this also especially lately I've gone down the wrong path a bit. I have had the attitude of here are my six friends f the rest of them. I apologize for that, and going forward will be a better diplomat of overclocking. Helping others won't hurt ourselves as much as we might think.

I hope benchmate can maybe spark some new blood that are maybe intimidated by the rules etc to join and once they are on the scoreboard they will get hooked. 

Here's to the future of OC!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Splave said:

I'm guilty of this also especially lately I've gone down the wrong path a bit. I have had the attitude of here are my six friends f the rest of them. I apologize for that

FWIW, I never saw that in you at all.

You've always been straight up with the CP/W9 guys.

• Thanks 1

Leave Teams Cup alone the format is good and it covers a wide range of hardware from DDR1 to DDR4 and participation wasnt too bad.

The Challenger series and Country cup  is for new Hardware and of course I know newer hardware is the way to promote the sport.

As was said above some prizes are a big motivation they dont have to be great even the trophies that was given out when challenger started were nice.

Promotion is the way to get more people into the sport whatever went wrong with Massman and co. I do not exactly know but the one thing I do know he was a good promoter of the sport.

Some video feeds and updates on the front page would be good too.

Edited by macsbeach98
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Splave said:

I bench every day and when I'm not I'm thinking about it. Is that sad? Some may think it is but I I'm quite happy with it. When I'm not having fun I'll quit. 

I think that there used to be more of a wow factor in a way and it wasn't so much for hwbot points. Guess that drove to help each other hit big numbers in Xtreme systems threads etc. 

For instance the copy wazza thread on Xtreme systems and OCX where everyone collaborated and tested together instead of I found a tweak look how great it is, no I won't tell you it kind of like what we have now. 

The other angle is manufacturer's kind of stepped in and had their way with the place and once they got us pregnant they hit the road so to speak. I remember if you had an ln2 Dewar you could get free gear as easy as an email and most of the time they found you. Now a lot of elite level guys can't even get their mobo rmad as a favor. The battle changed a bit when it went from user a vs user b in a friendly fight to Asus vs gigabyte.

I'm guilty of this also especially lately I've gone down the wrong path a bit. I have had the attitude of here are my six friends f the rest of them. I apologize for that, and going forward will be a better diplomat of overclocking. Helping others won't hurt ourselves as much as we might think.

I hope benchmate can maybe spark some new blood that are maybe intimidated by the rules etc to join and once they are on the scoreboard they will get hooked. 

Here's to the future of OC!

Hell we talk about this shit daily......I’m all about this. 

As someone who has been overclocking for a few years but is new to hwbot it can be daunting to start and can be discouraging when you bench for hours and mess up the screen shot or have the wrong cpuz version. I think benchmate is a huge step in the right direction for new members. A lot of people have helped me these past few months and I was pleasantly surprised by how welcoming some people were. A huge shout out to tagg, funsoul and Noxinite for being so helpful in getting me started. 

Edited by Mythical tech
  • Thanks 1

This ^

Nice writing guys. Humility modesty is that best of us all :) keep it real. Helping a brother up is a positive experience. We all started at the beginning learning.

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, Splave said:

I bench every day and when I'm not I'm thinking about it. Is that sad? Some may think it is but I I'm quite happy with it. 

https://hwbot.org/user/cbjaust/

You remind me of this guy. I call him the mad scientist, but in a good way :D He lives overclocking, I'm sure he's overclocking in his sleep.

Very smart guy & talented overclocker many platforms. His score could be better if he got over his sickness for AMD & I tempted him to the darkside. Intel :ph34r:

Edited by Guest

8 hours ago, Splave said:

... and it will only take some high profile guys & gals to reach out from each team. eg. "Hey like your scores. Want to join our team?"

1 in 2 success rate. Some members daunted by the prospect. Others thrilled. :)

• Members
9 hours ago, mllrkllr88 said:

I have to disagree with you there @GeorgeStorm

Separate leagues for the beginners makes a lot of sense to me. Rookie Rumble and Novice Nimble were some of the most important competitions on hwbot to date. While maybe they were not the biggest of all times, they had excellent participation and they provided a 'safe' place for the new guys to battle it out. They didn't have to face off against some of the big name people with years of experience and knowledge...

Fair enough, depends what the priorities are. I don't remember finding it particularly difficult to work out how to take a correct screenshot or work out the points system and leagues, and didn't complain when I was against LN2 with only a SS, but it does appear many do so I'm happy to accept I'm in the minority and am that old guy yelling at clouds and grumbling how it was better in my day :)

Also @avalanche you don't need new posts to quote multiple people.

I remember when I was sitting in front of XS at around 2004-'05 and was amazed about all those crazy shit I've seen there. Decided to go and try it myself and maan it was HUGE fun to achieve higher clocks of shitty cheap hardware and enjoy the benefits of every day overclocking and subzero overclocking. This addiction went further and later it became more fun than anything else, to challenge each other on XS, OCX and to achieve with even one single result on ripping.org under my country's flag. Those were the glory days for me, nearly 10-15 years ago. It has been changed forever when the vendors step in. It was also nice to see how hardware changed and developed during this process, but it was a different era, I still had a lot of fun to meet all of those people around the world who share the same addiction I do. Without the vendors we would never have this wide range experience and challenges. But like always money started to ruin the whole thing. Now you need a hell of a money to be able to bench current gen hardware since the dt market shrinked, so vendors need to make that money on the leftover guys. It started to give me less and less joy for more and more money, also I see less and less activity by other people, dont tell me this scene is'nt dying. It is, in its current way and people get frustrated of this situation. But oc will be never dead in our soul, there will be always people who wants more from their gear :D keep up the spirit guys, do it until you have great time and don't care about any point, prize or ranking, do it for yourselves. Peace.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Overclocking is DEAD! I'm not talking about extreme overclockers. BUT! I strongly doubt that someday the time will come as in the millennium. I remember Mendocino... I have in my collection 433 Mendocino that can do 650МГц with 100 FSB on air! in the 99th it was a bomb!! 100US price processor kicks and kicks and kicks ass many hundred bucks Pentium II 450! this is profit! Or Athlon thunderbird with L1 bridges... bring it on! 700 to 1000! Or 1000 to 1533! This is overclocking! today it's just bullshit with turbos and else...

What about amazing R300/350 (9500 to 9700Pro/9800SE to 9800 Pro) or NV40! I love NV40!! 6800LE -> unmask blocks, softvoltmod bios up to 1.5V GPU and you can get 450-460МHz with 6800 Ultra performance!! 

Edited by Gumanoid
  • Like 4

Overclocking is not dead and will never die until we are there.
If I don't put my hands on a motherboard or a VGA I don't have the taste to pull it. Buying a 1000 euro card that knows how to do OC alone is not for me. Precisely for this reason I use old HW and I care little about the new one.

• Like 6

• Crew

OC will always be a balance between Cost ans Fun... HWBot tried to make it more E-sports-like, Even though I liked the 30 minute 1 V 1 format at the World Tour stops it was still not super interesting to watch some guys try to run and rerun the same benchmark over and over again, bluescreening,... till nailing the score and move on or claim the final victory.

The current Vloggers are doing a great job and this is the way to go and promote the hobby. Hope you guys can keep up the spirit!!

• Like 2

how bout we all stop the no its dead and yes it isnt stuff, and just get on with it, if we dont itll never go forward

i bought quite a bit of hardware for this years teams cup which ive competed in every year since i started, amongst other comps, 4-5 yrs now, and couldnt as the 31st july this year, i had both knees replaced which did me in for this year, (try it and see how good you fare with it ), but im coming back on track again after 3 mths recovery so ill be back into it shortly, and im 63 , so if i can do it why cant you blokes ???

"Is overclocking DEAD or dying?" = Yes it is dying. Slowly but steady every year ... since the Sandybridge era.

Overclocking was and still is , about gaining a good percentage of performance , for free.

Overclocking great eras were , when it was easy for the masses (mainly for the gamers) and when the hardware from INTEL & AMD was " power unleashed"

Wanna go back in time and have some examples ?

The user gets a Celeron 300A to 450 and matches the performance of the top of the line P-II

The user gets a P-III Coppermine 600E to 800 or 700E to 933 (Top was a P3 1000)

The user gets a Thunderbird 700 to 1000

The user gets a Tualatin 1.0A to 1.33

The user gets a Tbred-B 1700+ to 3200+

The user gets a P4 1.6A to 3.2

The user gets an A64 bus speed from 200 to 250

The user gets a Core Duo from 266fsb to 333fsb

The user gets a Core 2 Duo from 333fsb to 400+fsb

The user gets a Nehalem from 133bclk to 200bclk

*Same applies to VGA's too

All the above numbers were easy to achieve (no extreme numbers) and required zero portions of magic ... just a slice of knowledge , some volts and a good air-cooling

FREE performance !!!

What the heck ... we were overclocking Sound Blasters by changing the crystal , back then  :D

What happened next ?

Locked cpu's (Intel mainly) and a few overclocking models to play with ... but PAY for it (where is the free performance?) oeo ?

What do we have today ?

Hardware already binned from the factory and retailed at almost 90% of its speed

Board makers giving you ready profiles to get that extra 5 to 10% with an AIO

... and GAME OVER for the masses.

Today's performance gain from O/C is minimal and the regular user can have it with the push of a button ... so why bother ?

Of cource there will always be minorities ... So will be the overclocking community.

That is my personal opinion and the general idea about Overclocking today.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, TASOS said:

"Is overclocking DEAD or dying?" = Yes it is dying. Slowly but steady every year ... since the Sandybridge era.

Overclocking was and still is , about gaining a good percentage of performance , for free.

Overclocking great eras were , when it was easy for the masses (mainly for the gamers) and when the hardware from INTEL & AMD was " power unleashed"

Wanna go back in time and have some examples ?

The user gets a Celeron 300A to 450 and matches the performance of the top of the line P-II

The user gets a P-III Coppermine 600E to 800 or 700E to 933 (Top was a P3 1000)

The user gets a Thunderbird 700 to 1000

The user gets a Tualatin 1.0A to 1.33

The user gets a Tbred-B 1700+ to 3200+

The user gets a P4 1.6A to 3.2

The user gets an A64 bus speed from 200 to 250

The user gets a Core Duo from 266fsb to 333fsb

The user gets a Core 2 Duo from 333fsb to 400+fsb

The user gets a Nehalem from 133bclk to 200bclk

*Same applies to VGA's too

All the above numbers were easy to achieve (no extreme numbers) and required zero portions of magic ... just a slice of knowledge , some volts and a good air-cooling

FREE performance !!!

What the heck ... we were overclocking Sound Blasters by changing the crystal , back then  :D

What happened next ?

Locked cpu's (Intel mainly) and a few overclocking models to play with ... but PAY for it (where is the free performance?) oeo ?

What do we have today ?

Hardware already binned from the factory and retailed at almost 90% of its speed

Board makers giving you ready profiles to get that extra 5 to 10% with an AIO

... and GAME OVER for the masses.

Today's performance gain from O/C is minimal and the regular user can have it with the push of a button ... so why bother ?

Of cource there will always be minorities ... So will be the overclocking community.

That is my personal opinion and the general idea about Overclocking today.

Yep, Intel started nailing the coffin of overclocking with the invention of the pay to play K sku CPUs :(

Edited by cbjaust

A relly easy way to promote oc more would just be livestreaming. On Instagram you only need an acc and you re reay to go. Same for YT and twitch. Dont know how its on FB. 

Every Time I ll oc something I ll at least make some videos to post them afterwwards on Instagram. And well some people respond and say thats cool but dont know why I am doing it.

We now live in a time where its really easy to get much attention fast. With a litte bit of knowledge of how social media works we could easyly attract more people. We just need a few people per country who would do it. As for example: I follow @Samsarulz on instagram and i think he recently got streaming equipment. 

I found a lot of you on FB and most of you post pictures of your rigs and verification sc. If people who dont know whats going on see a screenshot with a number of points an 3 times cpu z and so on... they probably skip it not knowing whats going on.

To catch their attention just take a picture of a frozen pot with some splashing ln2 around it and maybe a small video. That will catch the. I think the main Problem is that most of the people think xoc is just a small community and at most one or two guys per country do it. If we promote more and change that mindset we will probably gain newcomers.

-Thats just my opinon on how I think we could get attention-