Jump to content
HWBOT Community Forums
avalanche

Is overclocking DEAD or dying?

Recommended Posts

I use a computer now for what it was intended for than ocing. I played with it I tuned it I oced it I came to realization that 5000mhz on a 9900K is to hot I let cpu go back to stock.

I use it for gaming. when 1 single gamer has more subscibers to there twitch tv or whatever streaming service they use than this site does members it opens your eyes.

shroud has over 60k subscribers if you combined all the ocers they could not reach that. gaming is part of computing and thus the obvious marketing approach should put there focus there.

quakecon and blizzcon have been around for ages, there is no overclockathon. If the horse is dead get off and walk.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as I see these scores popping up on the front page, OC is far from done. Expensive gear no need!
 

topscores.jpg


If you want to go for ranking, yep than its required to dig in deep… Everybody will find out it is usually its harder to keep the top spot than to get there

Edited by Leeghoofd
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the point was missed. Subscriber = pay/donate to a channel. It's not free. We wont even talk about viewer count. We are just talking about 60k people paying to be part of 1 professional gamers channel. just 1 and there is a lot more out there then just shroud.

Overclocking never had that even on its best day.

I will gladly go back to my gaming and if I was a nobody it would not matter but I am one of many greats that have and will walk away and that attitude of good riddance is just another reason to ;)

Edited by chew*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

good riddance and get back to it -------1 of the many¬† greats ūü§£

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Teammate @avalanche , should have given the Thread a different title -

Maybe, " How do you see folks the current status of O/C hobby "

I have read very carefully all opinions. And I respect them all.

The core "problem" is the mentality of newer members. OC hobby can be viewed under multiple angles and short, medium and long term perspectives.

OC must be fun for the member. If someone comes here seeking recognition from day 1 ( one ), he has come to the wrong place.

I read frequently comparisons between gaming and Overclocking. Two totally different hobbies. Gaming sells more ( a lot more ) because the masses that participate can be

from 5 years old and up. It is a huge market share for HW manufacturers and the weight of their marketing has normally fallen to where the vast majority of sales is.

OC involves many other parameters than simply buying HW.

1) Love for the hobby, experimenting, willingness to learn-learn-learn, studying, helping others and getting help.

2) True overclockers "speak" with their systems. Feel them, they can understand due to vast knowledge the " How to and Why ".

3) Unfortunately it is this passion that is deteriorating. Older ( not in age ) members, that are obliged for a zillion possible reasons to drop the towel because real life needs

are above all, have not managed to pass over the passion and the knowledge to newer members.

Evidently, it is this gap, that has dramatically changed the outlook of the hobby.

I have the honor and the privilege to be part of a small but very "special" group of people. The Warp9 Team. We have managed to keep the spirit alive.

We have managed to be friends and not internal antagonists. We teach each other. We offer help and get help. DAY IN AND DAY OUT.

If this could be achieved in a broader basis, "new Stars" would appear, and no one would have any reason to complaint that " Many Greats" have stopped.

I can't think of any activity in life, where there comes a time that Many Greats retire. But, the teaching system, the transfer of knowledge, the experience create

a new generation of even better participants and society members.

Name it - Doctors, lawyers, mechanics, pilots … and - and - and ...

Why should it be different here. It is not. Narrow minded people want to see that it is different. Members that care only for their personal rankings and do not give shit

about this community.

In real life, the society punishes this mentality.

Start from the basement folks. Start from the basics. And if you like what you see and do carry on.

An 80$ board ( LGA 775 ), a bunch of cpus ( maybe 50 $ ) and some ram sets ( another 80$ max ) and a few legacy cards ( 200 $ tops ) is an excellent starting point.

That is 400 $. Add an AIO for starters and … welcome to the OC world.

Patience and then the Sky is the limit.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

Overclocking desktops is noob-tier shit,

That's the game here man.

Don't piss on it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well Brian don't feel bitter about it man, your expertise got seriously abused and false promises were made by you know who. 

As you mentioned them subscribers, a question pops up: How many gamers have a gazillion followers that would donate money to see this chosen one kick the other n00bs and that can make a living out of it? 100? -200?  How many years can they stay on top before having to return to normal life?

Out of thousands of Overclockers only a dozen have established themselves as becoming in-house OCers (Sofos, Elmor, Sprave,... ) or kickstarted their other career via OC, (Der8auer, 8-pack), so I definately spot a pattern….

To all of those who think this is the aim of this niche hobby,  to make money and get some sort of ROI... I can already tell you:  Wrong hobby for sure! We all know who invested shitloads of time and or money to be on top of the league... and even some of them with sponsorship rain into time constraints as family got in the way. On top of that the golden days are long over, The old farts here will remember them good days when  when we had several big worldwide compos, requirmement to perform monthly OC demos, etc...

Nowadays it's no longer about what you can do, but all that matters now is who you know. Other example how the semi conductor market evolved: the abundant sampling by the big mobo brands or even Intel or AMD samples is only now for the happy few, Not even well respected hardware review sites get their gear anymore via a direct channel.

Just enjoy it and have fun. Don't get your hopes high on being the next big thing, it might be very dissapointing in the long run....

 

Edited by Leeghoofd
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Money just ruins everything anyways. Keep it open and free.

Companies handing free gear to people to open the box on youtube just makes me laugh. A sucker is born every minute. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fasttrack said:

An 80$ board ( LGA 775 ), a bunch of cpus ( maybe 50 $ ) and some ram sets ( another 80$ max ) and a few legacy cards ( 200 $ tops ) is an excellent starting point.

That is 400 $. Add an AIO for starters and … welcome to the OC world.

Patience and then the Sky is the limit.

..until you reach the point and think "damn, i have to compete with all that Chiller/Singlestage/Cascade/Dice/LN2 Users". At this point most quit i guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Digg_de said:

..until you reach the point and think "damn, i have to compete with all that Chiller/Singlestage/Cascade/Dice/LN2 Users". At this point most quit i guess.

I mean all hobbies have a sink or swim point I think. A point where you have to decide if you're willing to go whole hog into a hobby and invest heavily or if you're happy where you're at/don't want to continue further.

Most people get into OC with seeing how their daily compares to others, then they may decide there's a platform they enjoy playing with etc, after that is where they decide if they want to go XOC or not typically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Digg_de said:

..until you reach the point and think "damn, i have to compete with all that Chiller/Singlestage/Cascade/Dice/LN2 Users". At this point most quit i guess.

I think what we need is an extremely budget dice pot even if it is not amazing having a low cost entry is a way to get more people to stick with it. I made my first dice pot a few years ago out of the copper slug from an intel stock cooler and a copper pipe that i joined jbweld. If there was a pot on the market for sub 150$ I think a lot of people would find it more realistic to invest in the hobby without spending 350$ on a new high end pot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Mythical tech said:

I think what we need is an extremely budget dice pot even if it is not amazing having a low cost entry is a way to get more people to stick with it. I made my first dice pot a few years ago out of the copper slug from an intel stock cooler and a copper pipe that i joined jbweld. If there was a pot on the market for sub 150$ I think a lot of people would find it more realistic to invest in the hobby without spending 350$ on a new high end pot.

yeah used pots can be found for <100‚ā¨ at times but they are usually sold fairly quickly and new ones are really expensive. Still using an old Ryba pot I picked up last year for 80‚ā¨. Did spend significantly more on Dice and LN2 since then though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"

1) Love for the hobby, experimenting, willingness to learn-learn-learn, studying, helping others and getting help.

2) True overclockers "speak" with their systems. Feel them, they can understand due to vast knowledge the " How to and Why ". 

"

So true, golden words !

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is not that difficult or expensive to get dice pot. But buying the dice itself is rather expensive - last time it cost me $40 for 10 kg. Also it takes a lot of effort to get decent subzero score in general. Most likely because of that not many people are willing to do that... And while water cooling for example is much easier to run, unless you have really golden CPU/GPU you won't get competitive score anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can give a bit more insight at this point as I have finally been apart of my first big launch event with 10 series intel and TRX40 from AMD.

Absolutely in love with this hobby. Eat, sleep, shit, and breath this. Day in and day out.

Those that have helped me get where I am at this point in my XOC career, I absolutely can not thank enough. So many willing to help if you are willing to put in the time and effort.

Those that have said pricing and what not can be a deterant, whole heartedly agree. I started with a daily system and kind of worked my way up from there. Now I have over a dozen mobos, hundreds of CPUs, lots of memory, and more GPUs than I want to count at the moment. Some of it will be benched, some of it is for nostalgia sake.

If you jump feet first into this hobby, you can and most likely will spend money like crazy. I could give a rough estimate of my 1 year expenses of hardware and LN2, but most would probably shit a brick.

The knowledge that is shared between people is what makes this worth while. Yeah there are some tricks or tips that you want to keep to yourself, as it may give you a edge during a comp, but helping those that are new or struggling is worth it. It helped me a ton and I'll say it again, I can't thank those enough who have mentored me so far in my XOC career

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me it's really simple. If it can go faster and perform better - even by just a little bit - I feel compelled to exploit it. As Ozzie said earlier in the thread - (I think it was Ozzie) - overclocking can't die unless overclockers all die. I can tell my 6 year old already has the same gene that got handed to me. Even if everyone else in the world decided they thought overclocking was dumb and never did it again - I still would - which means it is isn't dead.

In all honesty though, this whole conversation feels like a philosophy class between those who subscribe to existentialism and those who believe in the ontological argument.  Sounds so deep but as soon as the bell rings no one cares.

Funny thing just happened - I looked over at my daily driver using a 9900k running with a 51 multiplier (with AVX) and had that warm feeling you get when you know your system is working and playing better than anyone/everyone in a 100 block radius. That good feeling of knowing that you had a "KS" way before there was a KS and knowing that you paid a commodity price for it compared to all the people that flocked over to Silicon Lottery and dropped a crap load of money to get something of equal performance.

Overclocking is living! Or so it seems to me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"..until you reach the point and think "damn, i have to compete with all that Chiller/Singlestage/Cascade/Dice/LN2 Users". At this point most quit i guess."

Yes, it could be. It was a hard point for me. But I recognized that this thing is existing only in my mind. I have to compete with myself and the actual stuff on the bench-pad. No other thing is really determine my "game". If I have only a chiller but I made something that is really good on that cooling, I can be proud and gives the "work is done" feeling. If others beats me with better cooling or with available stuffs it's ok, if beats me with same level stuffs, it's still ok because it's part of the game to find out how can xy reach that level / score ! But yes, You are absolutely right about there is (maybe are) some hard points on everyones "career" what could easily cause the end. There is another point when a good, helpful, friendly competitive community can help I think. To show that this game is about playing the game and not winning it. At least its not the main thing, why we keep doing it I guess.

Edited by Alpi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Mythical tech said:

I think what we need is an extremely budget dice pot even if it is not amazing having a low cost entry is a way to get more people to stick with it. I made my first dice pot a few years ago out of the copper slug from an intel stock cooler and a copper pipe that i joined jbweld. If there was a pot on the market for sub 150$ I think a lot of people would find it more realistic to invest in the hobby without spending 350$ on a new high end pot.

There are multiple pots for sale for $150, with mounting hardware, insulation, probe and sometimes full retail box in the classifieds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, l0ud_sil3nc3 said:

There are multiple pots for sale for $150, with mounting hardware, insulation, probe and sometimes full retail box in the classifieds.

I have gotten all of my pots on the hwbot forums for an amazing price but it took months of waiting to be able to get them in which time a lot of people might give up and lose interest in going further if they feel like they aren't able to find anything affordable. Homemade pots are affordable but without access to a home shop or maker space it can be hard to do well if you want good performance but pos pots like my home made one is possible for under 20$ if you just want to experiment. The cost of dewars is another factor that stops people but they can be found for less than 150 for 30l if you are patient. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Fasttrack said:

1) Love for the hobby, experimenting, willingness to learn-learn-learn, studying, helping others and getting help.

2) True overclockers "speak" with their systems. Feel them, they can understand due to vast knowledge the " How to and Why ".

3) Unfortunately it is this passion that is deteriorating. Older ( not in age ) members, that are obliged for a zillion possible reasons to drop the towel because real life needs

are above all, have not managed to pass over the passion and the knowledge to newer members.

Evidently, it is this gap, that has dramatically changed the outlook of the hobby.

If this could be achieved in a broader basis, "new Stars" would appear, and no one would have any reason to complaint that " Many Greats" have stopped.

I can't think of any activity in life, where there comes a time that Many Greats retire. But, the teaching system, the transfer of knowledge, the experience create

a new generation of even better participants and society members.

Name it - Doctors, lawyers, mechanics, pilots … and - and - and ...

Why should it be different here. It is not. Narrow minded people want to see that it is different. 

I recently responded to someone that sent me a PM.

There was a big blow out of people a while back demanding settings in a AMD thread. Based on the effort that was easily observable by results in thread I basically said go pound salt.

This person that PM'd me how ever has put in a ton of effort and gotten within 3.5secs of my time so I took the time to respond and point him in the right direction. I do not mind rewarding and teaching those who put in the countless hours required to get to that level but im not just going to hand shit over to anyone who demands it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Leeghoofd said:

Well Brian don't feel bitter about it man, your expertise got seriously abused and false promises were made by you know who. 

As you mentioned them subscribers, a question pops up: How many gamers have a gazillion followers that would donate money to see this chosen one kick the other n00bs and that can make a living out of it? 100? -200?  How many years can they stay on top before having to return to normal life?

Out of thousands of Overclockers only a dozen have established themselves as becoming in-house OCers (Sofos, Elmor, Sprave,... ) or kickstarted their other career via OC, (Der8auer, 8-pack), so I definately spot a pattern….

To all of those who think this is the aim of this niche hobby,  to make money and get some sort of ROI... I can already tell you:  Wrong hobby for sure! We all know who invested shitloads of time and or money to be on top of the league... and even some of them with sponsorship rain into time constraints as family got in the way. On top of that the golden days are long over, The old farts here will remember them good days when  when we had several big worldwide compos, requirmement to perform monthly OC demos, etc...

Nowadays it's no longer about what you can do, but all that matters now is who you know. Other example how the semi conductor market evolved: the abundant sampling by the big mobo brands or even Intel or AMD samples is only now for the happy few, Not even well respected hardware review sites get their gear anymore via a direct channel.

Just enjoy it and have fun. Don't get your hopes high on being the next big thing, it might be very dissapointing in the long run....

I'm long over it but with comments like the above antagonist you can see why I've reached F it. The quantity of those type of people have reached all new heights.

I am under no impression that streaming overclocking could or would turn a profit. I'm just pointing out that marketing has turned there focus away from ocers in favor of gamers. 

Those youtube/streamer/ocers trying to sell you mugs shirts and whatever make me laugh because quite simply overclocking is only really exciting to those that see it happen live.

As you pointed out the abundant sampling is no more in lieu of this ( i'm still not effected by this however there is a limit to how much time I want to spend on this nowadays thus much less hardware needed ). Action/Reaction the abundant amount of results that use to be done on this sampled hardware ceased to exist.

This is an expensive hobby and i'm not even referring to top 20 even top 100 goals will set you back quite a bit so I can guarantee that has played a large role.

Quote

 

 

Edited by chew*
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, keeph8n said:

Absolutely in love with this hobby. Eat, sleep, shit, and breath this. Day in and day out.

Dude you have the feels just right. :D Come over to Warp9 team 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Fasttrack said:

OC involves many other parameters than simply buying HW.

1) Love for the hobby, experimenting, willingness to learn-learn-learn, studying, helping others and getting help.

2) True overclockers "speak" with their systems. Feel them, they can understand due to vast knowledge the " How to and Why ".

3) Unfortunately it is this passion that is deteriorating. Older ( not in age ) members, that are obliged for a zillion possible reasons to drop the towel because real life needs

are above all, have not managed to pass over the passion and the knowledge to newer members.

 

This ^ very beautiful writing. :) Right now it's about teaching someone " interested talent " spawn an awesome overclocker

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, chew* said:

I'm long over it but with comments like the above antagonist you can see why I've reached F it. The quantity of those type of people have reached all new heights.

I am under no impression that streaming overclocking could or would turn a profit. I'm just pointing out that marketing has turned there focus away from ocers in favor of gamers. 

Those youtube/streamer/ocers trying to sell you mugs shirts and whatever make me laugh because quite simply overclocking is only really exciting to those that see it happen live.

As you pointed out the abundant sampling is no more in lieu of this ( i'm still not effected by this however there is a limit to how much time I want to spend on this nowadays thus much less hardware needed ). Action/Reaction the abundant amount of results that use to be done on this sampled hardware ceased to exist.

This is an expensive hobby and i'm not even referring to top 20 even top 100 goals will set you back quite a bit so I can guarantee that has played a large role.

 

From personal experience I've ran into some of this myself before, just seems to me alot of the new guys I've spoken with before have an attitude they want to press a button and have instant WR results, it just doesn't work that way.

Instead of working for what you get they want it E-Z-P-Z and all of it served up to them on a silver platter..... Then wonder "Why" their results are far short of what the rest of us have been doing.

Like most here I too put in the work and earned what I got and it wasn't an easy thing to do, takes time and dedication to even start to approach what could be called a "Good" result vs the rest. Learning how it all works and the effects tweaks have is a big part of it but instead the mentality of the ones I've conversed with are more like they want it and want it now, in a few cases for me to just hand over my tweaks  or even tweak and OC their system for them - I'm not gonna do that.

I mean there is nothing wrong with asking for some advice because we've all been there before but to outright do it all for them?

Hell no.

It's also true the pricetag to do this has only gotten higher, not cheaper and that does put off alot of the potential new guys BUT if they are truly wanting to do it and succeed they should be aware of that going in anyway - Not to mention the price to play itself even if already involved isn't getting any cheaper itself.

Fasttrack also made some good points too about it, like anything else there more than one side to a story with real world implications.

Just how it is.

 

Edited by Bones
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...