Jump to content
HWBOT Community Forums

Alby Appreciation Thread


mickulty
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Administrators
4 hours ago, yosarianilives said:

Leeg is a great guy, but saying that Linux is impossibly hard to moderate is silly. If a score is out of line then demand an acronis image of the OS, it's not like the records are set on more than 3 boards anyways. If user won't provide their tweaks to a mod they're cheating and the result is blocked. Ez pz. But that's not the reason for blocking Linux that I read in the conversation that this thread is about. 

The reason for blocking Linux is a mod personally didn't want to have to do research on Linux os to be able to make competitive results before somebody else does. Or at least that's the way that mods comments read to me.

Now it is being claimed that the reason for blocking linux is that as a mod you don't want to be looking at a result wondering if it's legit, which is a legitimate complaint although Imho its solved by requiring a system image from questionable results. 

Anyways it doesn't matter what I say here cause the members of this thread have predecided that I'm a cock. I'm sad to have apparently contributed to leeg leaving, he's a great mod who really cared and that seems to have been his downfall. He cared enough to let the job get to him and there's far too much abuse in the job unfortunately from those like me and from the many. Way too many people getting pissed off when their win 10 results get removed despite never being allowed within the rules, or their cine score with the render is removed, etc. Definitely far too thankless a job. 

Can you simply please shut up? I am tired of your impact for years now but you simply cannot stop posting. On most benchmarks, Linux has been tested long before you bothered to show up here and provide your wisdom to people who forgot more than you will ever learn.

For the unlikely case you did not read the thread about macos and Linux, there are uncountable versions of this which can easily be altered because all is open source. Out of line scores... on windows we had people cheating that ran stuff at 5,5 and clocked down to 5g, on linux is will be running 4 and then clock up to 5 maybe and so on. You simply do not get it, normally you would have to ask for video for each score made on Linux.

 

On the topic, Albrecht managed to do a very good job in a partially toxic environment. Organization at comps is good, he usually finds even good solutions for conflicts and his main goal is progress of hwbot and the community. Most of his decisions are reasonable and he always has an open ear to positive input because a healthy discussion is the baseline for this. Like on me, his main weakness is that he is too kind. So the decision he leaves would make sense despite the damage done to hwbot by this, it is either changing yourself, get more strict and simply throw some guys out or leave it seems. History repeating itself, always same pattern

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Albrecht is awesome, truly a huge loss to the community if he quits. He has always been fair, open, and willing to do whatever he can to help anytime I talked to him. I don't want to see him go, but honestly can't blame him if he does. He has way thicker skin than I do, I'm surprised he made it this long :(

 

PS. websmile did a great job too, and has even helped me out after his "retirement"

PSS. This thread is about unpaid volunteer help catching crap daily, meanwhile the guy lining his pockets doesn't care at all, and hasn't even bothered to sign in since Oct 2nd.

  • Thanks 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bigblock990 said:

PSS. This thread is about unpaid volunteer help catching crap daily, meanwhile the guy lining his pockets doesn't care at all, and hasn't even bothered to sign in since Oct 2nd.

I dunno if anyone lines their pockets from hwbot, to be fair.  Running a web service, especially a big one with a lot of data to store and numbers to crunch, isn't cheap.  I obviously haven't seen balance sheets but it wouldn't surprise me if rich is actually putting more in than he gets out.  Do correct me if there's a good reason to think otherwise.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, bigblock990 said:

Albrecht is awesome, truly a huge loss to the community if he quits. He has always been fair, open, and willing to do whatever he can to help anytime I talked to him. I don't want to see him go, but honestly can't blame him if he does. He has way thicker skin than I do, I'm surprised he made it this long :(

 

PS. websmile did a great job too, and has even helped me out after his "retirement"

PSS. This thread is about unpaid volunteer help catching crap daily, meanwhile the guy lining his pockets doesn't care at all, and hasn't even bothered to sign in since Oct 2nd.

Kudos to you sir for this statement.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, mickulty said:

I dunno if anyone lines their pockets from hwbot, to be fair.  Running a web service, especially a big one with a lot of data to store and numbers to crunch, isn't cheap.  I obviously haven't seen balance sheets but it wouldn't surprise me if rich is actually putting more in than he gets out.  Do correct me if there's a good reason to think otherwise.

There is no one in this world that runs a business with a continuous and repeated  loss EVERY YEAR.

35 years in deep business waters have taught me that. NOBODY. 

  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Splave said:

Well he has no interest in it and it continues to run either he's the world's worst investor or it's generating income. Some sponsorship has left but the biggest one still pays.

 

4 minutes ago, Fasttrack said:

There is no one in this world that runs a business with a continuous and repeated  loss EVERY YEAR.

35 years in deep business waters have taught me that. NOBODY. 

This ^^^^^

The only reason would be someone passionate about what they are doing sinking money in to keep it going. But clearly thats not the case here.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Splave said:

Well he has no interest in it and it continues to run either he's the world's worst investor or it's generating income. Some sponsorship has left but the biggest one still pays.

You guys are talking like everyone in the room knows what you are talking about but for a relative noob like me (joined at the end of 2015) would it be inappropriate to ask what it all means? Or point me to a place where I could read some background? What it sounds like is that hwbot is owned by someone who doesn't play a role other than make sure the bills are paid? Is that person the original founder? The other day - can't remember where - someone was talking about Overclocking TV just like you guys are doing now - no names were being used but I felt like while I was reading it I was supposed to know what they were talking about. Basically, when I hear this stuff I get all pissed off because I respect you all and if you're pissed off then I get all pissed off but then I'm standing there all pissed off and I don't know why.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Past things man that have happened. Not appropriate to rehash it here. Members just dropping snippets of information.

Keeping on track ... we all like Alby he was the guy trying the best for all of us.

Edited by Guest
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, marco.is.not.80 said:

You guys are talking like everyone in the room knows what you are talking about but for a relative noob like me (joined at the end of 2015) would it be inappropriate to ask what it all means? Or point me to a place where I could read some background? What it sounds like is that hwbot is owned by someone who doesn't play a role other than make sure the bills are paid? Is that person the original founder? The other day - can't remember where - someone was talking about Overclocking TV just like you guys are doing now - no names were being used but I felt like while I was reading it I was supposed to know what they were talking about. Basically, when I hear this stuff I get all pissed off because I respect you all and if you're pissed off then I get all pissed off but then I'm standing there all pissed off and I don't know why.

Really the finances of HWBot is nobodies business and some people take wild stabs at blank targets. 

Here's a small link to when HWbot started and has names you seek. https://hwbot.org/article/history This link only puts history up to the date of 2011, and there's been changes and shifts since then. So I cannot get you the inbetween from 2011 to 2015 when you started. 

I remember when HWBot started. From rev 1 to 2 was a vast change. Every revision since some changes for good some, not so good, but has always been the number one spot to submit a benchmark and it was/is still fun. 

Oh how this community grew in the mid 2000's. I remember when ALL the overclock forums thrived. watched many tank pretty hard for a variety of reasons. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aye a bumpy ride indeed. I sure hope we can keep HWbot going  B| be a little better to each other. A hobby we are all passionate about 

Alby when you are rested come back man. You have more fans that you know

Link to comment
Share on other sites

im sure alby knows exactly whats going on , with himself and here. the say has been said both good........ and bad from some, how about we drop it , theres no more need to be said

and allow alby to have the peace he deserves

i call for the thread to be closed please !!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thread should be changed to 'moderator appreciation thread'.

There have been many really decent, understanding mods here. Too many for me to list. You know what drives them away? The ungrateful, belligerent members here.

These guys do this for free, on their own limited time. For what?, So you loudmouths can bitch about everything that doesn't go exactly your personal way? Bullshit.

Can't blame any of them for quitting. They get little helpful support from the members, and almost no support from the developers or site creator.

The mods are the only glue that still keeps this FREE site up for you fucking clowns.

Show some restraint, some patience, and some god dam respect. Is that too much to ask?

 

Albrecht, fishing sounds good. I will join you. :)

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...