Jump to content
HWBOT Community Forums

Windows XP on ASUS Z390 Motherboards (and others)


Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, Digg_de said:

Sry my bad.. i restore the Image again and now it works. :)

 

edit:  Oh man i am not really concentrated this evening.. at second try i've choose the wrong image (barbonets xp).. thats why it works...

my image is barbonenet xp z270 modded :)

Edited by antome
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi, this is still a work in progress but will be sharing updates as it needs to be tested more till we get to a point that its working 100%. Then (hopefully next 2-3 days) I will gather everyth

With a few adjustments, this also works well for an upcoming Intel platform. I'll publish more details when it's not under NDA. The Intel AHCI driver seems to work well by just adding the new device i

yes, link for xp x32 spi edition for z390 whit usb asmedia, restore tib image with Acronis. Good bench at all

Posted Images

On 11/7/2019 at 3:56 AM, GtiJason said:

I thought most benchers knew this has been possible for a while now. Here is the "0094" bios I modded to work on M9A XP w/ HT back in 2018

Creative.ROM 16 MB · 7 downloads

Thanks, I didn't know that, but I've sat last months under the rock, so you know...

 

Update - it doesn't support 9100f :(

Edited by phobosq
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 3:35 PM, phobosq said:

Thanks, I didn't know that, but I've sat last months under the rock, so you know...

 

Update - it doesn't support 9100f :(

Yeah, this was pre CFL Refresh⁴. I'll check if I have newer one or try to make one for you when I can get to it

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 11:58 PM, aerotracks said:

Z390 Dark OS modded with Z390 ASUS files makes XP work on X299 Dark 

AH! This is exactly what I needed lol. Was in the thread to make XP work on M11 and got X299 DARK solution as well! Thank you everyone for the knowledge!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2019 at 4:24 PM, sabishiihito said:

Anyone managed to make an Acronis image for us lazy folk? 🤣

Download - Windows Xp x32 Z390 spi edition Asmedia usb, with only asmedia usb driver (the two above the hdmi port)

Download - Windows Xp x32 Z390 spi edition all usb, with Asmedia and Intel usb driver, all usb port working

ps: you'll probably have to connect a ps2 mouse initially to confirm the installation of the new hardware on Xp at the first boot, the images work safely on the Z390 XI Gene, Z390 XI Apex and Z270 IX Apex boards on other motherboards you have to try

test spi32 5g 😎

5m52-469.jpg

Edited by antome
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2019 at 6:53 PM, antome said:

Download - Windows Xp x32 Z390 spi edition Asmedia usb, whit only asmedia usb driver (the two above the hdmi port)

Download - Windows Xp x32 Z390 spi edition all usb, whit Asmedia and Intel usb driver, all usb port working

ps: you'll probably have to connect a ps2 mouse initially to confirm the installation of the new hardware on Xp at the first boot, the images work safely on the Z390 XI Gene, Z390 XI Apex and Z270 IX Apex boards on other motherboards you have to try

test spi32 5g 😎

5m52-469.jpg

hi guys, has anyone managed to get xp x64 to work properly?  To me it starts only in safe mode, in normal mode I get a nice blue screen

IMG-20191203-213537.jpg IMG-20191203-213307.jpg 
in normal mode i get this error
IMG-20191203-213129.jpg

Edited by antome
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

With a few adjustments, this also works well for an upcoming Intel platform. I'll publish more details when it's not under NDA. The Intel AHCI driver seems to work well by just adding the new device id. Great work from @antome finding that the AMD XHCI driver for Windows XP also works on new Intel controllers :)

Edited by elmor
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

What about those of us with z390 boards that are without PS/2 or third party USB controllers? The XP acronis image from above boots to desktop but I can't interact with the new hardware wizard to get the USB ports working since all the ports in question are handled by the z390. Any solutions?
 

I've tried several third party PCIE USB cards with same issue. Need to confirm the install of the drivers. Heck, I've even tried a PCIE to Serial card with same issue. Need to interact with the new hardware wizard to get the drivers going?

 

Seems like all the next gen boards and tech in general are going to be Win 10 64bit only (even 32bit version of Win10 has barely any drivers for z390). Bleak future...

 

Edited by lunatic999
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, lunatic999 said:

What about those of us with z390 boards that are without PS/2 or third party USB controllers? The XP acronis image from above boots to desktop but I can't interact with the new hardware wizard to get the USB ports working since all the ports in question are handled by the z390. Any solutions?
 

I've tried several third party PCIE USB cards with same issue. Need to confirm the install of the drivers. Heck, I've even tried a PCIE to Serial card with same issue. Need to interact with the new hardware wizard to get the drivers going?

 

Seems like all the next gen boards and tech in general are going to be Win 10 64bit only (even 32bit version of Win10 has barely any drivers for z390). Bleak future...

 

I've never had issues using syba usb 2.0 pcie card, driver is usually already installed as long as it uses  NEC 720101 chipset. Should work with Antomes full usb .tib from above. This one download . I use this card https://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_186_90&product_id=232

Or you can try usb to ps2 adaptor, use another platform to get by the confirm drivers issue or slipstream the pcie to usb card drivers using an iso instead of Accronis backup

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...

My procedure for installing Windows XP on M12A, derived from previous work 

Firahelper for Z490: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Atmpv-6qHr_6vcIGjGDDdVQjURrIcA?e=JTDLyq

Then the ISO needs to be modified:

  1. Extract your ISO using 7-zip to a temporary folder and go to the “i386” subfolder
  2. Replace “ACPI.SY_” and “SYSSETUP.DL_” with the files from “Z390 Files.zip”:
  3. Extract DRIVERS.CAB and SP3.CAB using 7-zip
  4. Replace “acpi.sys” in those folders (if it exists, may be missing in SP3.CAB) with the file from “Z390 Files.zip”
  5. Re-package the “DRIVERS” and “SP3” folders to DRIVERS.CAB and SP3.CAB using CabPack: https://download.cnet.com/CabPack/3000-2250_4-75805653.html
  6. Open the temporary folder in nLite and select only the “Bootable ISO” stage
  7. After making the ISO, save it as XP.iso on your flash drive together with the firahelper for Z490. Use the USB root files from here: 
  8. For XP USB support using the Intel USB ports, use this driver: https://mega.nz/#!KBIzxSAB!nZYWTcAC0v3wThuq0lFKUKarnv7Nh73655zFE2mJ7to
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2020 at 6:42 AM, elmor said:

My procedure for installing Windows XP on M12A, derived from previous work 

Firahelper for Z490: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Atmpv-6qHr_6vcIGjGDDdVQjURrIcA?e=JTDLyq

Then the ISO needs to be modified:

  1. Extract your ISO using 7-zip to a temporary folder and go to the “i386” subfolder
  2. Replace “ACPI.SY_” and “SYSSETUP.DL_” with the files from “Z390 Files.zip”:
  3. Extract DRIVERS.CAB and SP3.CAB using 7-zip
  4. Replace “acpi.sys” in those folders (if it exists, may be missing in SP3.CAB) with the file from “Z390 Files.zip”
  5. Re-package the “DRIVERS” and “SP3” folders to DRIVERS.CAB and SP3.CAB using CabPack: https://download.cnet.com/CabPack/3000-2250_4-75805653.html
  6. Open the temporary folder in nLite and select only the “Bootable ISO” stage
  7. After making the ISO, save it as XP.iso on your flash drive together with the firahelper for Z490. Use the USB root files from here: 
  8. For XP USB support using the Intel USB ports, use this driver: https://mega.nz/#!KBIzxSAB!nZYWTcAC0v3wThuq0lFKUKarnv7Nh73655zFE2mJ7to

Thanks for recipe elmor!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2019 at 11:53 AM, antome said:

Download - Windows Xp x32 Z390 spi edition Asmedia usb, whit only asmedia usb driver (the two above the hdmi port)

Download - Windows Xp x32 Z390 spi edition all usb, whit Asmedia and Intel usb driver, all usb port working

ps: you'll probably have to connect a ps2 mouse initially to confirm the installation of the new hardware on Xp at the first boot, the images work safely on the Z390 XI Gene, Z390 XI Apex and Z270 IX Apex boards on other motherboards you have to try

test spi32 5g 😎

5m52-469.jpg

Any idea  why this all usb edition would start asking me for login password ? It don't think it did this when tested before

Win_Login.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2020 at 9:12 AM, GtiJason said:

Any idea  why this all usb edition would start asking me for login password ? It don't think it did this when tested before

Win_Login.jpg

 
Strange I have not set any login password, it starts without problems
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I’m having troubles installing XP32 to M12A with the method described by Elmor above. Made ISO, copied to flash with firahelper 490. Booting from usb stick im getting into menu, chosing instal win xp txt mode, it starts and after F6 and F2 messages during installation i’m getting error i386/ntkrnlmp.exe . Could anyone help me with this issue?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Aurosonic said:

I’m having troubles installing XP32 to M12A with the method described by Elmor above. Made ISO, copied to flash with firahelper 490. Booting from usb stick im getting into menu, chosing instal win xp txt mode, it starts and after F6 and F2 messages during installation i’m getting error i386/ntkrnlmp.exe . Could anyone help me with this issue?

NVM, successfully installed from dvd-rw, that Firahelper stuff doesn't work to me at all whatever i do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2019 at 12:39 AM, antome said:

hi guys, has anyone managed to get xp x64 to work properly?  To me it starts only in safe mode, in normal mode I get a nice blue screen
in normal mode i get this error
IMG-20191203-213129.jpg

Hi. Did you find the workaroud for this error ? Im trying to instal XP x64 and getting this bsod at second phase of installation when windows says “Installing Devices”

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...